Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. DeLaGarza - Reynosa Mexico

Has anyone used Dr DeLaGarza and associates in Mexico? I ended up getting my band from Dr. Lael who is one of his associates. The service was adequate although did not seem as complete as the Monterey Dr. Sanchez people.

I am really not getting any follow up now that I am 4 weeks. I learn more from this forum than from my Dr.s

Guest jnhughes75

I was banded by Dr. Lael on 8/15/2003. I was somewhat disappointed that Dr. De la Garza was not performing the operation but what can you do when you are already there; no one informed me that it could be another doctor nor do they advertise the other physicians on their website. Anyway, I did fine with the surgery but did experience quite a bit of pain that I didn't feel was adequately controlled with the pain meds that I was given. I really did enjoy Nydia ( the transporter/translator), she was fun to be around before and after surgery. One thing that bothered me is that when I got home my incisions were already starting to get infected ( green ooze), but I feel lucky that I work for 2 pediatricians and they were able to start me on bactriban which cleared everything up. Overall, I think they did an adequate job, but I feel that by going to Mexico it is best to be prepared for anything, maybe a good idea would be to make an appointment a few days after you get back with your family doctor. Anyway, just thought I would give my two cents!

Jennifer Hughes

Jennifer,

I would be interested to know why you picked Dr. DeLa Garza? In whatching all the chat from the other members I am impressed with what I hear about the care that Dr. Sanchez's group gives. It sometimes makes me wish I had waited to get in to him. My surgery was technically fine and I had no trouble with infection. I struggled with the accomodations at Judy's and wondered what I had gotten myself into when I arrived. Are you still in contact with them? I have pretty much gotten all my follow up information from the people here on this site.

Guest jnhughes75

Jennaband-

I chose Dr. De La Garza because I was impressed by Judy, I felt she was very genuine and was helpful in setting everything up. Another reason I chose them is cost and location, I didn't want to have to travel all the way to Tijuana, it was easier to get to Reynosa from Oklahoma. I thought the price was affordable and overall I think I got what I paid for. I was disappointed that I have not received a phone call or e-mail asking how I am recovering, I did email Judy a question and she got back to me in 1 day so that was encouraging, but I just don't think they provide any follow-up. My surgery was really fast, I flew into Harlingen on Friday morning, has surgery Friday afternoon, and flew home Saturday afternoon; therefore, I never stayed at Sandstone but we did drop by for a few minutes. Overall, I was glad that I flew home so quickly and didn't stay the night because I went to get the surgery by myself and I just wanted to be at home with family as soon as possible after the fact.

Jennifer Hughes

Banded: 8-15-2003; Dr. Lael

307.5/295.5/175

Jennifer, No need to feel so cheated with the doctor that you chose. Although Dr. Sanchez is kind, he is an expert and his staff are all very friendly and accomodating......Most of his patients that are in this board and others will agree with me when I tell you that the aftercare is practically NONEXISTENT!!! Most of us got home and never got a phone call either. I know that I had to email them several times to get notes on after surgery procedures and foods....etc.

That is just the way it is. That's why we all have to learn from each other.

Good Luck

Barb

Hi Everyone,

I called Judy when I first began researching this procedure. Yes she is very comforting on the phone, however when I asked about the physicians and their education things began to change. I was given the name of Dr. De La Garza and the fact that he attended Harvard Medical School. Well I call Harvard and they had never heard of him. So I asked Judy again and this time she said "Oh he was a student there not a professor and his full name is Dr. De La Garza Leal. So I called Harvard again, and noone by that name has ever set foot in Harvard - as a student or professor or anything!

This really concerned me and to top things off, Judy started having an attitude about my research.

I had a bad feeling about them and decided to use dr. verboonen. OH MY GOD HE IS GREAT!!!!!

The service, the knowledge, the friendliness. Everything was so good. I just got my first fill on Saturday. dr. verboonen is a sweetheart and I would recommend him hands down!

Mary

this board rocks. I was about to go to Dr. Garza, but after Bebbly's post....no way!

Is this the same Dr. de la Garza that is now in Monterrey, Mx at Oca Hospital? I was banded there May 22 2007, and had a wonderful experience...