Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained most of my weight back

I Agree as well my sister who went with me can eat whatever she wants ! But I have always been that person that can't I'm just hoping i can get where I'm happy with myself

I think you just hit the nail on the head - that's really one of our major measures of success. It took me a while to realize and/or decide that being happy with ourselves is a key factor. I used to be really hung up on getting to a goal I picked based on BMI. In a perfect world, I would be there. But I'm living in my unique body and place, and it's all far from perfect. Once I came to terms with good enough is actually really great, I was able to be happy with my accomplishment and move on with my life.

@@globetrotter Thanks for posting. I am sorry you have gone through everything you have post-op and that you are struggling so much, but I am grateful you shared your experience. I think it's good for all of us to hear/see a side of the story that we don't often get exposed to on these forums. Good luck in your continued pursuit of your goals!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Good luck to you

@@frumpy69 and @@globetrotter,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and your cautionary tales. That's part of the beauty of this Forum – we can share our experiences, good and bad, to help others. And those who are struggling can hear ideas and get support from others as well. @@frumpy69: As for getting a bypass... Okay, this is gonna sound weird coming from a WLS patient, but I'd hold off on going the malabsorptive route until you've exhausted all other options. The thing is that you already have an effective tool in place. If you can get your sleeve (and your head) working together again, you may not need additional surgery. Keep that only as a last resort. I'm hoping the 5-day Pouch Test will get you going again. And @@globetrotter, you sound kind of defeated. But you've succeeded a couple of times, and you still have your restriction, right? Could you try the Pouch Test too? I'm truly sorry about both of your struggles and wish you nothing but the best in getting back under control. Here's a site that will remind you of the rules, if you've forgotten any of them. http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/ And keep posting if you need support and friendship. We're behind you all the way!!!!!

Per comment #9 from Wynnie. Thanks for the extra pair of eyes.

Thanks !! Ya i have done my research I spend hours reading so I am doing the 5 day pouch test as we speak

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck!!!

Rogofulm, thank you for your encouragement and support, it is meaningful. My success at getting myself "back under control" isn't quite the point I was trying to make, however. I was trying to be very clear and frank with all the sleevers out there who have less time on the sleeve than me about what life and weight management and even what "working your sleeve" actually look like when surgery date is a distant memory.

Miss Mac lol u r welcome ????

@@globetrotter thanks for being so raw and candid. It helps me to keep everything in perspective. It's so easy to be blissfully ignorant during the honeymoon phase as the pounds are coming off rather effortlessly.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you're sad, I can feel your frustration in your writing. Wishing you success. When you're having a bad day, we're here for you, rant away....

@@frumpy69 thanks for sharing, always good to hear from the vets. From your post it seems that when you're focused the weight comes off. So I'm sure a few months from now we'll read that you've lost the weight.

I think there is a line were what you need to do, and what you can do may clash. Not as easy as saying "just get your head in the game" or "Just eat less" or "Just exercise more". Of course these things count... but it looks to me like there may be some other factors at play here. Brain chemestry? Biome health? When I decided to get the WLS I knew that I would have to do something different than I did before surgery. The lifetyle change. I also knew that I couldnt go so far out of my current lifestyle that I would be falling off the wagon at every turn. I decided I would focus on Portion Control, not super low carbs.... I am a vegetarian, and very low carb is pretty hard to maintain with limited low carb Proteins. I could however eat less carbs. I reworked many recipes to better meet my health needs. I would try and eat everything I wanted too... but keep an eye on the numbers at all times... write it down, weight and measure, get enough Protein, drink my Water, maintain consistancy with my exercise.... Every day is a work in progress. When stress and tragidy come into the picture... its just that much harder. The drug componant of food becomes a player too. I have seen others around me here going cold turkey with carbs... I can do that too, but know I can't and don't want to live that way, I have tried to make lifestyle changes that will last in the long run. This means for me that I am closer to the edge of gaining... if I graze a little too much, if I dont bother writing down what I eat for a few days, if I eat for the drug effects (sugar!) or just step out of my routein too much (eating out... vacation, house guests, parties) it all shows on the scale. I have dedicated two days a week to lower carb and calorie consumption for the last year, and I think this helps keep me from gaining more than I already have. I find it harder and harder to really get back into the downward loss mode these days. I just finished the 5 day pouch test a few weeks ago.. I lost 6 1/5 pounds which felt great, of course you know that kind of quick weight loss is a water dump from low carbs, so very easy to gain back. It value was to remember how lower carbs and higher protein can work for retriction which is a value if you have lost track of that quality of the sleeve. (or pouch). I really don't want to become a yo-yo dieter again... and am looking for a way, in the long run to keep this weight off. At 4 1/2 years, I am till in the "successfull" range, but still looking backwards to the time I was at goal and working to try and get back there if possible, in a sane and sustainable way.

@@globetrotter

I'm fairly new to this whole WLS thing, and am knocking on the door of maintenance. I'm almost there. But after being on this site for 15 months and reading posts almost daily, I completely and utterly agree with you.

I honestly believe this surgery f**ks up our already messed up metabolisms. How else do you explain people who are eating only 800-1000 calories stalling out and even gaining weight when they choose to partake in a couple of measly carbs or sweets. (Oh no! I ate TWELVE HUNDRED calories today!!)

1200 calories for a "normal" person is below even what's recommended to LOSE weight.

Why do you think we see so many struggle with maintenance once their initial maintenance honeymoon period (yes I think there is a honeymoon period for maintenance, too) is over?

It's an ugly truth that I don't think people who haven't been there yet want to admit. And I said it before in a thread I started not too long ago. Forget about the semantics of the word, you will be on a diet the rest of your life if you want to maintain a normal, healthy weight.

I thank you for your refreshing honesty.

Babbs, you are the first person to be willing to call out these truths with me, thank you. For the past 21 days I have logged every single morsel of food, every single liquid. I average 700 cals a day, less than 45g carbs, more than 60g Protein. I have lost only 6 pounds and of those 6, 3 have come back; just this morning I got on the scale and it said a pound heavier than two days ago and yesterday I ate only 500 cals.

Babbs, you are the first person to be willing to call out these truths with me, thank you. For the past 21 days I have logged every single morsel of food, every single liquid. I average 700 cals a day, less than 45g carbs, more than 60g Protein. I have lost only 6 pounds and of those 6, 3 have come back; just this morning I got on the scale and it said a pound heavier than two days ago and yesterday I ate only 500 cals.

You cannot look at daily fluctuations as a true indication of what is actually happening with your body. You could be retaining fluids, you could be about to start your period, you could simply need to take a big old poo.

I'd suggest you stay off the scale and only weigh once a month or so and track that to keep yourself from focusing on little fluctuations that are out of your control.

@@frumpy69 You can do this. It's hard, but you know what to do. I'm sorry you gained, that's so discouraging! :/

@@globetrotter Good to see you back on the boards, though I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I whole-heartedly agree with your post. I don't think it's true for everyone, but it is certainly true for me. I have to be hypervigilant or I will gain. I have found that I can maintain my weight at 165 on an average of 1400 calories a day. I usually eat more on weekends, and dial it way back through the week, like about 1100. It's a battle all day, every day.

I too feel like it's a struggle every day. I haven't done the regain thing. But it scares the crap out of me. This is hard!