Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ups and Downs and UPS again

I remember back in my pre-vsg days that I would wolf down many things that I shouldnt have and would just sustian the same weight. Why is it now that we have a tiny stomach and eat and do our best to follow the rules the scale seems to be more sensitive? Ive had to cut my carbs out in a HUGE way as in maybe 30 grams MAYBE if that a day. I been doing this for the past week and a half just because I didnt want to go to my 6 week check up last week and the Dr say , dang you havent been losing anything. I really kicked the low carbs into high gear. THEN.. it happened I made spaghetti for my daughter with some Protein Pasta. I had gotten a regular salad fork and had a bite. My actual plate consisted of meat and sauce and no additional pasta. Today i am up 1.5 pounds since monday. I am so sad and i know that the scale isnt everything but damn. I used to scarf down appetizers , dinner and dessert and wouldnt make the scale move. now i actually make concious decions and a bite of pasta with sauce is making me so mad. I count i drink Water, i drink my protein for Breakfast, i take Miralax I go to zumba once a week and walk while my daughter is a softball practice, and i gained weight. This is not the first time post op that this has happened. Its like my body wants to be at 240 FOR EVER. I have several friends with vsg, and i actually do follow a low carb diet yet they never had to and the weight dropped. What's wrong with me? I feel so sad, like how will I ever adjust to this if i feel GUILTY and gain weight so easily. My tool is broken i feel like. I feel sad because I went through so much with my surgery to feel like such a failure at this.

I don't do low carb because I know as soon as I even look at anything with carbs in it I gain the weight back. The only way I was able to lose weight, even before the sleeve, and maintain it now, is to eat healthily, in moderation, all of the food groups. Low carb diets might work for some people, but inevitably as soon as you eat carbs again you start gaining weight. The loss may be initially slower if you eat carbs, but in my experience it is more sustainable. Also, the sodium in the Pasta sauce may have contributed to your gain. I make marinara with ground turkey and put it on top of spaghetti squash and inevitably the next day I have gained about a pound. It goes away in a day or so.

Perhaps consider increasing your exercise level? I stalled at 170 for months and the only way I broke past it was to significantly increase my exercise. I am now under goal and maintaining but every single day I need to be aware of my weight and my diet. It is a little depressing that this ends up being a lifelong, daily battle.

There is a scientific explanation - but bottom line that "gain" from a single dose of lots of carbs is Water weight.

Just like when you go low carb you lose alot quickly - Water loss. It has to do with how our body stores all this stuff.

Over the long haul, I find success with moderate/low carb eating plan mostly because it helps me control hunger. Whenever I "stalled", reducing carbs, in particular processed carbs (bread, Protein bars etc) made a big difference. Now in maintenance I don't count carbs but I reduce my intake of the things that I KNOW trigger hunger.

@@ladivaluz806 I also want to mention - stalls happen. It can be frustrating but if you are following your plan, you will lose weight. There are things you can do, change things up etc, but sometimes... they just happen.

I need to find a happy medium, I have always had to go low carb to lose weight even pre-op even with my lap-band it was always the only way I would lose any weight. I need to find a good balance of everything including stepping up my excercise. I don't to go zero carb and then when i have a bite of fruit or something I gained 2 pounds. I apprectiate y'alls input very much, I know I can find the right mix for me. Just got to figure out what that is! :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt a bite of Pasta caused you to gain 1.5 pounds of real weight, That's not 1.5 pounds of FAT magically back on your body from one bite of food. It's Water. Might not even have anything to do with the Pasta. It might be the sodium from the sauce. LOTS of things can cause your weight to fluctuate from day to day. What you want to be watching for is a general downward trend. Log your weight once a week. If the daily fluctuations are making your crazy, stop weighing daily and only weigh that once a week that you plan to log.

If you follow the plan, get all your Protein and Water in, and exercise, you ARE going to lose weight. Unfortunately the rate of loss is going to be on your body's own terms.

I am a true believer in eating a balanced meal and yes it includes carbs as well. I focus my carb eating for the most part on healthy fruits and vegetables. However on occasion I will have a bite or two of rice or potatoes.

When your scale fluctuates like that it is mostly Water retention and will drop off as quickly as it popped on.

Your body will stall along the way for many reasons. I was even told that if there was a weight that you were stable at for some time you might hit that weight and get stuck for a week or two.

The important thing is to stick to your plan, and the scale will absolutely move in the right direction. If you want to help it along simply change your routine a little bit. Sometimes that will help.

You are doing just fine, don't lose faith that it will work for because it will!