Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 21 and freaking out!

Sorry, just now read your last post.

I think after a few months like 6 or more you could have a drink or two... I plan to have 1 drink on my 21st birthday but not crazy as you said.

See, I knew you were a smart little gal. Of course you can have a drink or two after you are healed enough. talk to your nut. There is another good thread about coffee and Booze you should read. Please stay in touch. You are going to have a spectacular journey.

Also, I think you should look for something that is mostly liquor and not sugary mixers. Like a cosmopolitan

@@harley_quinn25 @@bikrchk thank you for your realistic replies!! Believe me drinking isn't the end all be all of my happiness, but it is very much a part of my social life. I plan on waiting a while to drink again but I would like to be able to have A drink to Celebrate my graduation at the least. My question to you is this: what did you drink when you started back up? I was thinking crystal light and vodka to keep the calories low. Are you at a point where you are able to order a regular drink now or do you think that's what makes the weight come back fast?

I realize that all of this is heading toward a brighter future and who knows maybe by the fall I will have lost so much I won't even want to drink but right now I'm dealing with weekend after weekend of going out with friends and everyone looking at me like they pity me for not being able to drink and people buying a round of shots and me having to tell people I'm not drinking and ALL THE QUESTIONS.

To everyone else: I understand that drinking is not important in the long run and I have to make changes for this to work but I really don't appreciate the condescension and the assumptions that drinking is the only thing I care about or the only thing I'm proud of. This entire journey is a very tough and arduous one and I'm very worried about the social implications in my life. I wish my school didn't have so much of a drinking culture but it does and I love my school and I love my friends and I just know that this school year is going to be rough on me anxiety-wise in feeling left out or feeling like people are talking about me.

I'm sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain myself

I am truly sorry if you feel that I was condescending in what I posted but it came from the heart. Like many of us, I too was once a college student. After a couple of degrees and a career working with college students, I do understand more than you realize what you are going through. I hoped what I provided you was a bit of perspective.

I did respond to the content of your post which to me sounds like you feel that for some reason going out and getting drunk is the most-important part of your social and college experience. I am very happy for you if that is not the case.

There is so much more to life and the college experience than drinking. I hope you have the chance to experience first-hand that you do not have to numb yourself with substances (whether its alcohol and/or food) to be social and have fun and more importantly to be accepted and liked for being yourself.

The weight loss surgery journey is so much more than just surgery --- for me its about learning how to be the best person I can be (physically, emotionally, and spiritually).

You are at the beginning of what will hopefully be a very long and successful life. I just hate to see something like drinking keep you from succeeding.

You are so not ready for weight loss surgery right now.

Wait until you're ready to change your life.

WLS by itself doesn't fix weight problems. You have to do so much more than take a deep breath and count backwards until the anesthetic takes effect.

Not being snarky.

For those of you TELLING her to go back and rethink the surgery she already had it done so go back and read that part. I don't think ANYONE is in ANY shape to be advising someone to NOT have the surgery all because they have a LIFE. And while their LIFE may not be OURS or what WE DEPICT to be a life we should still be courteous of her feelings and stick to the topic. She's asking for opinions based in drinking if you don't drink don't answer simple as that! Not being rude but merely giving MY OPINION like most of you are. ☺️ everyone enjoy their day

Thank you so much to all of the people giving me honest and helpful answers! I understand that I need to be extremely cautious and I will definitely be waiting a while until I even try to drink again. I will definitely keep in touch and let you know how it all works out. Thanks again for all of the helpful info and the encouragement!

Thank you so much to all of the people giving me honest and helpful answers! I understand that I need to be extremely cautious and I will definitely be waiting a while until I even try to drink again. I will definitely keep in touch and let you know how it all works out. Thanks again for all of the helpful info and the encouragement!

I for one can't wait to see you take the world by storm. There is a reason that graduation culminates with a commencement ceremony. It is when you commence into the world and truly begin life.

Well I'm already about a month out from the surgery so no, I can't cancel it. I don't regret the surgery and I am by no means choosing alcohol over a healthy life. My main question was this: will it be realistic for me to have a drink or two before I graduate. Nothing crazy, no college binge drinking, but just a drink. I am excited that I went through with this at a young age because it means more time to be healthy. I'm working my ass off and doing everything else I'm supposed to do and it's working. Trust me when I say I have a good head on my shoulders. I am ready for this journey and I have been doing really well. I really don't appreciate all of the people telling me to quit. I wasn't asking to live on fast food for the rest of my life all I was asking about was a drink here and there or if anyone had any advice on socializing at bars and parties or if anyone was in the same boat as me.

@@PennStater920

Well, that's a much different question than "ZOMYGOD I JUST WANNA DRINK WITH ALL MY FRIENDS AND I'M FREAKING OUT AND I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP MY SOCIAL LIFE FOR THIS SURGERY111!!!"

What kind of responses were you expecting??

Yes, you can drink when you are far enough out. But keep in mind that drinking is nothing but empty calories. So if you overdo it, it will hinder your weight loss efforts.

Good Luck.

@@harley_quinn25 @@bikrchk thank you for your realistic replies!! Believe me drinking isn't the end all be all of my happiness, but it is very much a part of my social life. I plan on waiting a while to drink again but I would like to be able to have A drink to Celebrate my graduation at the least. My question to you is this: what did you drink when you started back up? I was thinking crystal light and vodka to keep the calories low. Are you at a point where you are able to order a regular drink now or do you think that's what makes the weight come back fast?

I realize that all of this is heading toward a brighter future and who knows maybe by the fall I will have lost so much I won't even want to drink but right now I'm dealing with weekend after weekend of going out with friends and everyone looking at me like they pity me for not being able to drink and people buying a round of shots and me having to tell people I'm not drinking and ALL THE QUESTIONS.

To everyone else: I understand that drinking is not important in the long run and I have to make changes for this to work but I really don't appreciate the condescension and the assumptions that drinking is the only thing I care about or the only thing I'm proud of. This entire journey is a very tough and arduous one and I'm very worried about the social implications in my life. I wish my school didn't have so much of a drinking culture but it does and I love my school and I love my friends and I just know that this school year is going to be rough on me anxiety-wise in feeling left out or feeling like people are talking about me.

I'm sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain myself

@@PennStater920 Social drinking doesn't have to end, but those nights of chugging do. (I went to Rutgers and just graduated law school. I GET IT). I'm not telling you that you have to give up drinking forever, but you'll be likely limited to a single glass or bottle of your drink of choice.

I'm a little less than five months post-op and had my first drink the other day. To address your point, it was at my graduation party to Celebrate graduating law school. It was a wine glass full of white sangria and to be on the safe side since it was the first drink I'd tried, I limited myself to half. It's important to note that it wasn't terribly strong.

That all being said, things like straight liquor (vodka, rum, whiskey, etc) are best to be avoided because they may agitate your stomach. Mixed drinks are the safer bet, but make sure you consume them slowly because the alcohol is absorbed into your bloodstream far quicker post-op, whether bypass or sleeve.

You shouldn't feel like you can't drink socially ever again, but you won't be able to pound back the beers and shotgun them. You will, however, be able to nurse a glass of a mixed drink or wine while out and about with your friends. Just be pragmatic.

Edited by Jewelgirl04

Sorry I didn't read more carefully .. I now see you have been sleeved. Best wishes to you.

I get it...I went to college and hung out with the rugby guys . Much older now but two things...first, I did have a drink before the year, in fact I had half a glass of wine 3 months out for a celebration. It did not hurt my belly but I felt so guilty afterwards I'm not sure it was worth it. I was only able to drink half a glass so I never hot a buzz or anything like that.

Second, my daughter is a senior in college, but due to health reasons and a personal choice,she does not drink. This does not mean she doesn't go to parties and she has a good time when she does. She has also saved many friends from drunk driving because she is cognizant when they aren't and either takes their keys or she will drive (especially when they decide they must have a late night pizza or chinese food). She says it's fun to watch her friends behave like fools lol. So you will still be able to go to your parties but you sure won't be chugging. Beer will be out because of the bubbles and I gave been told that they least bad for you drink is probably vodka with crystal light...fewer carbs. And remember after the night of drinking, the scale WILL be higher and that's not the direction you want it to go after going through WLS.

This is why WLS for the young crowd has risk. Those of us older are just 'tired of being tired' and dealing with life long struggles of being heavy.

As a younger person, you have so much of your life to live, there will be many MANY temptations.

But the one thing to know >>> if you are serious about weight loss and keeping it off for a LIFETIME >>> you need to create a mindset that your drinking days are over.

Just my $0.02 ...

-RC-

Here's a big news flash. Sorry if it seems harsh but I speak from experience. I'm 60. I was you at 20. The booze and overeating made me grow to 318. Now I have high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, had fatty liver, sleep apnea, serious risk of stroke, double hip replacement, knee surgery, orthopedic ankle surgery....blah blah blah but here's the truth. No young person believes this but you'll be 60 in no time. I lost so much potential joy in my life living as an obese person for 40+ years. YOU DON'T WANT THAT. You can't drink like you want to, lose the weight you want to, and maintain a low weight. And honestly, it should be more about your health than weight loss anyway.

Right now and maybe forever, you want more alcohol than your body can handle. You either won't lose or you will gain back weight lost if you don't accept this. You may need to give it up entirely. Possibly you are addicted, although I certainly can't say. What I do know is that the alcohol will kill your metabolism and detract from getting proper nutrition. Absolutely. Decide what you want most. Good luck! I hope you have success. Sorry if I'm a buzz-kill but I actually do know what you are battling.

I'm going into my senior year this fall at a big state school that has a LARGE social scene surrounding drinking. I hate to admit this but I've always taken pride in how much I can drink and not go crazy. I've only thrown up twice in my life and I'm proud of the fact that I can drink just as well as most of my guy friends. I'm pretty terrified for going back this year because my doctors have said to wait around a whole YEAR to drink again and although I know I'll never be able to keep up again, I do NOT want to be the only sober one at these parties and I refuse to let my social life suffer because I can't drink with my friends. Any help/tips? I know my case is very age-specific, but I'm sure most of you have experienced college or a similar party scene? PLEASE HELP!!

Hahah. Guess I could have just said I go to Penn State! I forgot what my username was!

Hard to hear I know but DON'T DO IT !