Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does it take to get used to the liquid diet before surgery?

Today is my first full day on the liquid diet. I am starving! I even have a headache. Does it eventually go away? The thought of feeling like this for 13 more days is awful!

Today is my first full day on the liquid diet. I am starving! I even have a headache. Does it eventually go away? The thought of feeling like this for 13 more days is awful!

It took me one full week to get adjusted. Even than I had urges to eat. Just don't cheat or give up, because as soon as you wake from surgery your desire to eat will go bye bye!

Today is my third day on a 14 day liquid diet and I'm not gonna lie its been tough. I have three small children and a husband so I'm constantly giving them food. I was giving the girls dinner last night and I literally had Water in my eyes, not because I was hungry buy because I knew I couldn't have that. So I just dealt with dinner for them and then wrote my feelings down in a journal and that helped. You can do it, take each day at a time, look for surviving that day lol.

Edited by roseluv3

I had a headache for the first 3 days. That finally went away, but I never "got used to" the liquid diet. I was hungry the whole time, and got pretty cranky by the end of the 16 days. But I never cheated once, I lost 22 pounds and had a safe, complication-free surgery and recovery. (And then another 18 days of liquids).

I say just suck it up and keep doing it. It's just part of the process. Stay focused on why you are doing this, look towards your final goal and don't get wallowed down in the "now". It's all just temporary. There's a reason they say this isn't the easy way out, and you need to be committed to the WHOLE journey, even the bad parts.

I feel your pain.... my surgery is this coming Monday 6/22 and I'm on the Liver Reduction Diet as well.

My headache came from caffeine withdrawal, no more coffee and no more Diet Coke. On my diet, I had:

- Week 1: 2 Protein shakes and a sensible meal

- Week 2: 5 Protein Shakes a day.......no food

I'm on Day 3 of Week 2. Believe me, it does get better. Not that any of this is easy....

My stomach growls nonstop, you can hear it across the room. I'm very weak, barely any energy to do anything. And the worst part, liquid in means liquid out, usually without warning that it's coming, LOL. I've been lucky that the Liquid Out part has come while I'm at home and not out in public!!

Hang in there!!

I started two days early on my 7 day liquid diet (was trying to get ahead and get my body used to the new diet during the weekend) and the first two days weren't that bad. I did have an awful headache for the first couple of days and urinated A LOT. It has gotten better although I still have waves of hunger (especially if I get bored and start thinking about it). I felt awful yesterday after a long day of meetings and called my NUT desperately wanting her to let me chew on some real food - broccoli, cheese, fruit, whatever - and she told me no. She told me that I could freeze my shake into smaller ice cubes and eat it like a popsicle or I could have more broth/bouillon to curb the hunger. After she took away the option and my husband told me to suck it up, I felt better after a while. Good luck and know that you're not alone.

It took me three days to get to where I could overcome the urge to eat my own fingers. After that, I was ok with it. The liquid diet is a right of passage, so stay determined. Many, many folks have gone before you and lived to tell about it. Just think of the stories you will be able to tell a year from now when nobody recognizes you.

I'm 6/23 Tuesday and I've been in the liquid diet for 7 days. I had 1 slip last night and ate a cup of chili. But I got back in the horse. I'm scared but so glad I found this group. I didn't want to join a fb group because I dint want friends to know I had surgery.,

I was on complete liquid diet for 30 days prior to surgery - no food at all! Not sure why it was so long compared to others.....

Anyways - after the first week - the headaches for me were gone and I was beginning to handle the radical diet easier. I did avoid a lot of events where eating was happening though - I hadn't told many about my surgery so I didn't really want/need lots of questions about my no eating.

Hang in there - I keep that experience in the back of my mind when I think I can't stick to something

I haven't told anyone but hubby, parents and brother. I intend to keep it that way. I'm allowed 2 Meal Replacement bars so it's not all liquid.