Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a bit of a "Freak"!

Hi all! Need some of your wonderful support and advice. I was sleeved on June 8 in TJ, Mexico and had a wonderful experience. Can't say enough good things about A Lighter You and Dr. Ortiz and staff. I drove 6 hours home yesterday with no problem. I stopped for walks and stayed hydrated and full of Protein. When I weighed this morning I weighed exactly what I weighed on Sun before I left. I can't believe afer 3 days of Clear Liquids, the surgery and very little to drink after that the scale has not moved. I really do feel like a freak! I have 5 holes in my belly and I really think I was sleeved but what the hey...! Has anyone else had this experience. I do feel like I am wearing a barrel around my stomach and middle so maybe Water retention. Ugh! Just a bit sad and discouraged.

I gained 12 pounds in the hospital in two days, thanks to the IV's. It took all that next week to get back to where I started.

I was at my 1 1/2 year bariatric follow-up yesterday and told the doctor I was weighing every day. She told me to have someone hide my scale for month and go cold-turkey. Oh, man......I walked past that spot this morning and just wanted to stand in that spot like I have done for the past 18 months. The scale will drive you crazy if you let it.

Thanks so much! I read all the posts of amazing losses right after surgery and although my head says something like "it is probably Water retention", that little girl inside says "I'm not even good enough for the sleeve and nothing is ever going to work for me!" Just when you think you have made friends with that little girl, she kicks you in the shin!

I call that "Hampsters in my head" - all those random negative thoughts just running amok in there. Sometimes I just have to b***h-slap them to get their attention long enough to throw them to the curb.

It is Water retention. I went in to surgery at 232 and the day I was discharged I was 244. Now 18 days later I'm at 221 so don't give up or feel bad....this is normal due to the IV fluids and the distention is from the gas to enlarge your abdominal cavity for ease of maneuvering the scope and tools to perform the surgery.

Congratulations on your decision and WLS journey!

Michelle

Gosh STAY OFF THE SCALE!!! Lol I was obsessed and when you are not looking BAMB! You look like a new person. I too retained a lot of the IV Fluid for few days and it went fast after. Right now I am seeing how the clothes fit different and how my body is changing more than that dang scale..... I still peek though !!

My doctor said to only weight once a week but when do you take your first weigh in post surgery?! Thanks for your replies. Feeling better, even if not thinner yet!

Hi all! Need some of your wonderful support and advice. I was sleeved on June 8 in TJ, Mexico and had a wonderful experience. Can't say enough good things about A Lighter You and Dr. Ortiz and staff. I drove 6 hours home yesterday with no problem. I stopped for walks and stayed hydrated and full of Protein. When I weighed this morning I weighed exactly what I weighed on Sun before I left. I can't believe afer 3 days of clear liquids, the surgery and very little to drink after that the scale has not moved. I really do feel like a freak! I have 5 holes in my belly and I really think I was sleeved but what the hey...! Has anyone else had this experience. I do feel like I am wearing a barrel around my stomach and middle so maybe Water retention. Ugh! Just a bit sad and discouraged.

I had the surgery in Mexico also... try to remember that you are very fragile at this point. Let the scale go for now and just be kind to yourself; your body is trying to recover. Listen to it, how it "feels" and not the scale right now. I know that's easier said than done, but it does start to go down eventually, and I haven't even been great about the exercise. I do plan to remedy that, now that I'm feeling mostly human again, lol. But your main goals for now are hydration and rest and Protein. I found that pedialyte popsicles were a life-saver, and I recommend you get the unflavored Protein powder and add to everything.