Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days out, how to attend Father's memorial?

Hi. I am having RNY on the 17th, as well as Band removal, 4 hour surgery. My Dad passed over two days ago, he's having a memorial on the 23rd, 6 days post op. Will I be able to attend after only 6 days of recovery? What can I do to make it more comfortable? I have mobility issues, and use a Rollator, and can't stand for more than 2-3 minutes. This memorial means the world to me, will I be strong enough to go?

I was back to work in 6 days! I know you can do it!

You can definately do this! You just need to plan ahead. The most important thing at this stage will be to stay hydrated. Make sure you take your Water with you and sip like crazy all day long. Take plenty of breaks as well.

I am so sorry for your loss and pray you will get through all of this.

Sorry for your loss. I would definitely bring a pillow to hold on your stomach for the drive. I am 5 days out, and I still need the pillow, especially over bumps and turns. Make sure you have pain meds as well. Bring the pre-made shakes in a cooler for easy nutrition. I also carry a Water bottle of ice and strawberry powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury with lemonade crystal light to sip on. Having someone available to help get into/out of the car and into places helps a lot as well.

I would say yes, also. I had surgery on Tuesday and was for sure I was going to die (lol) and I just got back from my first drive into town and feel pretty good. Be sure to take your pain meds, just to be safe. Sorry about your loss and good luck!

@aelovelady@Djmohr@Lynnette K@@Spiceyfrog , Thank you for the support, much needed.

I'm 336, I barely fit under a car seat belt as it is, how do I bring a pillow to put between me and the seat belt when it's a close fit already? I can't be the only one with this question?

Also, are the incisions very low, low, or near the middle of your stomach/abdomen area?

I actually had the band removal surgery and rny at the same time. I have 8 incisions all over my abdomen. The only one that has really been painful is the one on my left side.

You can buckle your seat belt and use the pillow as support on the outside of it.

I also was given an abdominal support garment at the hospital and it has been a blessing!

Good luck with everything and take care.

@@Kari H. When did you have your surgery and how are things going? I'm scheduled for 7am in the morning! I'm very excited!

I never needed a pillow and my doctor absolutely does not prescribe pain medication. I promise you will be fine, just stay focused on hydration, Protein and Vitamins. I believe you will be great. Good luck and keep us posted!

I had 7 incisions and they really are all over. I was actually surprised to see how high they actually are.

Also don't put the pillow under your seat belt, it is just to hold on your tummy when u go over bumps.

I will be honest, I would not have needed the pillow and was off all pain medication by Thursday. I had my surgery on Monday night. If I got uncomfortable I took some liquid Tylenol.

The reality is, the pain Ned's did not help the type of pain I had. Most of my pain was from the gas they use in your tummy. Once that passes I could handle the small amount of pain I had from the surgery.

I will say everyone is different and I have had 5 spinal surgeries since 2001. For me the bypass really was a piece of cake. I was uncomfortable but not in pain. I was more exhausted from lack of Water and nutrition.

My surgeon told me that this was actually pretty normal for most people.

Some people have a harder time managing pain that others so you just want to make sure you have your mess with you and stat hydrated.

@@Kari H. When did you have your surgery and how are things going? I'm scheduled for 7am in the morning! I'm very excited!

I had my surgery Tuesday June 9th. I am doing very well. Went to work for a couple of hours yesterday. It was tiring but not exhausting and the pain was not too bad either.

Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you!