Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I regret.... not having it done earlier.

I regret.... not choosing the bypass instead of the sleeve. I have the sleeve of steel, and can eat anything I ate before surgery without tossing my Cookies. I wish I could say that sugar makes me physically ill, but it doesn't. Cakes, candy, donuts, chocolate....anything fried... nothing bothers my tummy. Sooooo....I'm having to "work" more at making sure I eat a healthy diet and not too much of the bad stuff. Having the sleeve is an excellent tool, but you have to "use" the tool. It ain't gonna use itself! (except for that first year, of course). I have gained about 15 pounds back since I stopped losing last January (nearly 1 year post op). I'm now having to really watch what I eat. Not how much, I still have the restriction, but how often! I can graze without realizing how much food I'm eating over the course of a day! I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to go on a diet any more after surgery!

I'm now having to really watch what I eat. Not how much, I still have the restriction, but how often! I can graze without realizing how much food I'm eating over the course of a day! I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to go on a diet any more after surgery!

Excellent point, @@Rena's got this! I've been in maintenance for a couple of months, and I'm working on the "how often I eat" thing too. I find I'm best able to control myself if I keep my sleeve full of fluids between meals. As for wishing you'd had the bypass... Friends who have had it are having as much or more trouble with hunger. My sense is that their pouch can stretch more than our sleeves; so the restriction is less, although the malabsorption is more. All in all, I'm very happy that I chose the sleeve since I "only" had 120 pounds to lose. :blink:

My sense is that their pouch can stretch more than our sleeves; so the restriction is less

The restriction is always going to be more for sleeve versus RNY, not because of stretching, but because sleeve patients still have their pyloric valve. RNY bypasses the pyloric valve, so food just "falls" straight through the stomach pouch into the small intestine. Whereas, food is held in the sleeve by the pyloric valve for some period of time as it begins digesting before it moves into the small intestine.

Edit: To be clear, RNY patients can have food sit in their stomach for SOME period of time, because the connection between their pouch and intestine is small and therefor acts as a bit of a bottleneck, but that connection is always open and food will immediately begin passing through it so long as it's been adequately chewed. Whereas, with the sleeve, the pyloric valve will remain completely closed and not pass any food through it until it has been adequately mixed with stomach acids.

Thanks for the info JamieLogical. I can always count on learning more and more from this forum!

Thanks for the clarification, @@JamieLogical! I've been wondering about the specifics.

"I regret.... not having it done earlier.

I regret.... not choosing the bypass instead of the sleeve. I have the sleeve of steel, and can eat anything I ate before surgery without tossing my Cookies. I wish I could say that sugar makes me physically ill, but it doesn't. Cakes, candy, donuts, chocolate....anything fried... nothing bothers my tummy. Sooooo....I'm having to "work" more at making sure I eat a healthy diet and not too much of the bad stuff. Having the sleeve is an excellent tool, but you have to "use" the tool. It ain't gonna use itself! (except for that first year, of course). I have gained about 15 pounds back since I stopped losing last January (nearly 1 year post op). I'm now having to really watch what I eat. Not how much, I still have the restriction, but how often! I can graze without realizing how much food I'm eating over the course of a day! I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to go on a diet any more after surgery!"

I am there with you. I had the sleeve (revision band to sleeve) in 2008 and lost about 110 pounds. Kept it off until last year - I had two major surgeries that limited my mobility (Achilles tendon release and repair and a total knee replacement) and gained 40 pounds back. Now out of sheer frustration, I am hoping to have the bypass. The sleeve allowed for sugars and carbs which I went back to when feeling sorry for myself during the surgeries. Sleeve did stretch, bad eating habits crept back, and addictive tendencies returned. Now, since working on my head in therapy, my surgical fate yet again lays in the hands of the insurance carrier.

Part of why I didn't choose the bypass when I did was because I have multiple sclerosis and the surgeon was concerned of steroidal use as treatment for flare ups (not good for bypass patients) - I could have fought it, but I didn't want to totally give up food pleasures.....if I am being real with myself. Now, here I am, needing the ultimate "Antabuse" for food addiction and chancing any future needs for steroids.

Just keep at it and remember YOU are STRONGER than you THINK you are! Keep trying in this life and never give up on striving for self acceptance and pride. Life is short!

God bless.

Edited by India928

I would like to just comment that I had no expectation that the sleeve would make me sick if I ate "the wrong foods". I don't vomit, etc. I do seem to be slightly lactose intolerant since sleeved so it did cure me of wanting ice cream as that gives me the runs now...haha.

for me, other than the ice cream thing, all the sleeve does is greatly reduce my appetite, and greatly reduce my "capacity" as long as I eat dense Protein. That is it. No more.

Only regret, not doing surgery 15 yrs ago

Follow up to my first reply, I had no expectations of an outcome after surgery. My mom and husband both did. They would say things like we won't know how to act when you get skinny. I thought I'd be the one that surgery didn't work for. So I never allowed myself to go there. So with every size I drop, every pound I lose, I'm thrilled and excited!

Like many, my only regret is not doing it sooner, if only I could turn back time! I am so eternally grateful for having it done and not waiting longer, this is without a doubt one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

No Regrets.. lost diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Did not lose 80% of my stomach or re-routed my intestines. Had Lapband and could not be happier. I never have had dumping syndrome, I only take Multivitamin and Vitamin D and B12. I can eat normal food, don't live on Protein shakes and am looking forward to many healthy years ahead.

@@Sharpie

I only take those Vitamins, don't live on Protein shakes, and can eat normal food.

I don't want people considering the sleeve to think that living on protien shakes and Vitamins is the norm. It may be at very first, but certainly not for long. Just sayin.

Well I Do Not Want To Say To Much, but I regret it for to many reasons to list. I wouldn't do it again. I'm glad for all the people it has helped, it just isn't for me. Trying to except my decision.

Well I Do Not Want To Say To Much, but I regret it for to many reasons to list. I wouldn't do it again. I'm glad for all the people it has helped, it just isn't for me. Trying to except my decision.

Did you just have surgery? Because most (not all) people regret it at first.

Sleeved on 6/1/15. I suppose there was no way of knowing I would feel so negative afterwards. I am emotional, easily crying, I feel like a different person, not in a happier way.