Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

recovery time questions

Hi All:

Just wondering how much time I should plan on being out of work post surgery? What do you do when home immediately after surgery? I know we should walk as much as possible, but what else?

How soon are we able to travel by plane after surgery? Has anyone traveled by plane like four weeks post op?

I am exactly two weeks out tomorrow and other than being tired I am fine, except for the boredom. I felt great the first three days after surgery, then due to not getting enough liquids I became dehydrated and unable to consume very much for 2 day, once I rehydrated myself I was fine. Gas pains were the worst part of it, you will want Gas X and walk, walk, walk. I ended up taking some milk of magnesia on day 4 because I did not have a BM and that helped with the gas issue as well. Most of the time, especially the first few days you will spend all day sipping drinks, trying to get your Protein in, or sleeping,

I know many people who have traveled a few days to a week after surgery, especially those that get their surgery in Mexico. I myself will be traveling exactly 4 weeks out on a 4 hour flight, my doctor was ok with it.

So how much time are you/did you take off from work?

I am toiling with 4 to 6 weeks only because I don't want to have that port thingy in when I go back and I would like to be able to eat something while at work. Would rather not draw attention to my shakes. I don't know.

But then I feel like, 4 to 6 weeks may be way too long! I don't want to be home and get depressed because I cant eat anything - Hoping I wont want to eat anything! But you know, the home comfort eating that happens when your home and really do not have much to do so you eat out of boredom.

What do you all suggest?

I am only planning to take 6 days off not including weekend. I jusy started a new job and can't be out long. I have a desk job so feedback i got from others is you can go back in a week but most likely will be tired.

if your job does not include lifting or lots of physical 14 days including weekend is perfect.

Not sure what "port thingy" you are talking about? I don't have any kind of ports or drains. I am almost a week out (surgery on June 4), and as long as I am resting, I feel fine. I ventured out yesterday for 1 1/2 hours (just a couple of errands) and I was wiped out when I got home. Planning on 2 weeks here. I can't really imagine going back tomorrow which would be 1 week but everyone is different.

I haven't had surgery yet however my surgeon said they will be removing my drain before I'm discharged. He isn't a fan of leaving them in. I would double check with your doctors office about that. I work a desk job too and most people I've spoken with who have similar jobs said they felt like 2 weeks was even a bit too long. I'm planning on a week and if I need longer adjusting it then. I know myself and sitting home and doing nothing will quickly make me depressed! Especially with no food! ????

Nikkiperezcassar - How do you anticipate dealing with the dietary phases once back at work? Do you have a plan, if yes, care to share ? I agree with the depression, I love LOVE love being away from work but the time away makes it mentally and emotionally challenging for me to get back into a routine of "having to" go back :( Boo

I'm planning a week off and possibly a week working from. Depends on how I feel. I plan on walking a lot as soon as possible. I hear that makes all the difference. And of course hydration.

I'm just now beginning the appointments.

I'll be on a 6 month wait that begins on July 7th after the first visit with dietician.

I have a massive umbilical hernia (previous surgery on twice for similar repair) that I'm hoping to have repaired at the same time that I have the bypass.

The surgeon has a firm 2-3 day hospitalization window with bypass.

This is good for the hernia repair, too, I think.

The last two were outpatient basis and recovery was NOT fun.

I'm concerned about having gastric issues at same time of hernia recovery.

I know it'll hurt but at least taking a month-to-six weeks off work to recover from hernia will allow good timeline for bypass adaptation.

Thoughts?

Insight?

I'm lost but feel better about the direction my weight battle is now heading.

Nikkiperezcassar - How do you anticipate dealing with the dietary phases once back at work? Do you have a plan, if yes, care to share ? I agree with the depression, I love LOVE love being away from work but the time away makes it mentally and emotionally challenging for me to get back into a routine of "having to" go back :( Boo

My plan is simply to plan ahead, I have a fridge at work and a microwave so I'm going to stock up on the essentials that way I always have something on hand. I also plan to set a alarm to remind myself to eat. I've seen too many posts of people forgetting to eat and it being way to draining. I figure as long as I have foods for each of my phases on hand and Water at my desk I'm good.

Since I'm the manager of my office I don't have to take lunch with others or a full scheduled lunch hour. Since I'm not planning on telling anyone about my surgery I think that will help me hide my weird new eating habits! ???? My only true concern is when I have to take a client out, I'm going to try to avoid lunch appointments and stick with Breakfast or coffee so it's not so obvious I'm not eating. I think with a bit of shuffling I may be okay. Only time will tell though!

I remember with my sleeve procedure that the abdominal pain was tough for lil bit because they wanted me to cough and use that breathing ball thingy (spirometer....?) but if you hug something tight against the abdomen it helps ease the pain. aside of that I would presume six weeks should be good. I had total knee replacement last year and was out four weeks everyone heals differently tho. good luck

I remember with my sleeve procedure that the abdominal pain was tough for lil bit because they wanted me to cough and use that breathing ball thingy (spirometer....?) but if you hug something tight against the abdomen it helps ease the pain. aside of that I would presume six weeks should be good. I had total knee replacement last year and was out four weeks everyone heals differently tho. good luck

Yup.....I learned on the second hernia surgery to keep a pillow tucked against my abdomen.....slight pressure. That pillow helped ease the pain of movement and deep breathing, clearing through.....and God forbid a sneeze.

I'm hoping that I can employ this same tactic while healing hernia and doing the stuff they'll want me to do for bypass.....leak checks and such.

Much respect for 4 weeks out on knee replacement. That is some serious effort on your part. Well done !!!!

Hi All:

Just wondering how much time I should plan on being out of work post surgery? What do you do when home immediately after surgery? I know we should walk as much as possible, but what else?

How soon are we able to travel by plane after surgery? Has anyone traveled by plane like four weeks post op?

I took 3 weeks off, planned for two, definitely needed 3. Going back I still had incisional pain, but it was bearable in my non physical job.

Immediately after surgery I kept a notebook to record my Fluid intake and keep track of when the meds I was on were taken. Rested, and walked... Nothing else.

I'm six weeks out now, feel great!

Dhrguru - Congats on being six weeks out! Experiencing any head hunger, and if yes, how do you deal/cope with it?