Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week liquid pre-op diet

I know most of us go through some Protein liquid diet and the length varies. Mine is 2 weeks. I am 4 days into it and haven't strayed. Luckily, I'm okay with the Bariatric Advantage Protein. I'm allowed some chicken broth which has helped the last 2 nights. I still have 10 days to go. I'm sure I can do it, but the weakness and headaches and hunger pains don't make it any easier. Will the hunger start to fade? I wonder if this is harder than those first few weeks post-surgery pain? I'd like to think so, but suspect not.

Just hoping for a little encouragement and/or tips for this stage. I've got 10 more days before surgery. Looking back, how was your experience with this challenge?

I can honestly say that the preop diet was the worst of this journey. I really struggled with it. At one point I remember thinking, I can't go through with it, the surgery won't be worth it. I can say that the last few days of it I wasn't hungry any more. I do believe it gave me extra stamina those first few days post op. I lost 20 lbs pre op. So struggling is not a bad thing and it becomes mental challenge at times. If you can get through it you can get through surgery.

I share similar feelings about the pre op diet. It was such a drastic change for me. I went from eating whatever I wanted to only Protein and Water. My post op diet hasn't been much better. 1st week only water, sf Popsicles, sf Gelatin, 2oz broth. 2nd week I can add protein to my original diet. I've had many crying nights because I still feel extremely hungry, but I know it's for a better cause.

I know most of us go through some Protein liquid diet and the length varies. Mine is 2 weeks. I am 4 days into it and haven't strayed. Luckily, I'm okay with the Bariatric Advantage Protein. I'm allowed some chicken broth which has helped the last 2 nights. I still have 10 days to go. I'm sure I can do it, but the weakness and headaches and hunger pains don't make it any easier. Will the hunger start to fade? I wonder if this is harder than those first few weeks post-surgery pain? I'd like to think so, but suspect not.

Just hoping for a little encouragement and/or tips for this stage. I've got 10 more days before surgery. Looking back, how was your experience with this challenge?

Two week preop is difficult...everyone says it gets better and it does. After about four days, that icky taste in your mouth that the old you knew how to get rid of with food goes away and the hunger lessons. Now it's a good couple hours in the morning before I'm thinking of "breakfast" and a small cup of warm boullion at nite before bed really helps as well. Today is day 13 for me; tomorrow starts Clear Liquids only before sleeve surgery on Monday morning. It has been the biggest challenge of my life but I am convinced it is the only way to get my life back and free myself of everything being about food rather than contentment! TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME you...we....can do this! ????

Hello,

I'm also on day 3 of the 2 week liquid diet. I was struggling the first 2 days. Today is a little better and I don't have the headache anymore. Yes, I'm hungry, but it's tolerable. I couldn't wait to get this liquid diet started, but honestly, I didn't expect it to be quite the challenge that it turned out to be. But I think it will make it easier to adjust to the new dietary lifestyle after the surgery. It won't be quite as drastic of a change.

They are allowing me to have smoothies, creamy Soup, juice, SF pudding, yogurt without chunks, things that can be drunk through a straw. Seems a little less restrictive than what some of you are talking about.

I'm so curious as to why pre-op diets vary so much. Mine is 2 weeks of no carb (>30G) and 70+g of Protein. I have one day of clear liquids before surgery. I certainly feel for all you that have had to go through multiple weeks of liquids - that sounds very hard!

I'LL be 7 days post op tomorrow. . And had to do the 2 week pre-op diet with Bariatric Advantage as well....it helped me to be on a eating schedule every 2/3 hours faithfully with the shakes..and adding fruit to them. I carried a cooler with me EVERYWHERE..bc I didn't want to be left with the temptation of a drive thru. It also helped me stay on track bc if ur liver is in the way. ..and I didn't shrink...my surgeon wasn't doing the surgery. And there was no way in hell I wanted to repeat the liquid diet.< /p>

Good luck...once you pass 7 days. .it gets easier.

I am struggling! It is the end of my fifth day. I am supposed to have 5 Protein Drinks a day and can have broth, s/f Popsicles and Jello. Last night I skipped a drink and substituted for salad greens and chicken breast that was the equivalent of the drink. It helped only now I worry it was a bad idea. I way 240 and am already losing weight in my belly. Anyone else cheat?

I am struggling! It is the end of my fifth day. I am supposed to have 5 Protein drinks a day and can have broth, s/f Popsicles and Jello. Last night I skipped a drink and substituted for salad greens and chicken breast that was the equivalent of the drink. It helped only now I worry it was a bad idea. I way 240 and am already losing weight in my belly. Anyone else cheat?

Yes... I cheated a lot. I lacked a lot in willpower. I would go a few days, then eat something. I never ate anything crazy though like fast food or things high in carbs and sugar. Things like lean meats, veggies, and I limited the portions, and then the following day I'd be back on the liquid diet. That was rough.

I then read after that some doctors allow people to eat food. I guess it's different types of surgeries, different bodies, different expectations.

My surgery is tomorrow, i'm scared, happy, anxious, all they above.. Please say a prater for me!!

My surgery is tomorrow, i'm scared, happy, anxious, all they above.. Please say a prater for me!!

praying for you!!

I am on day three of a two week liquid diet. I am so hungry.... Please tell me the headaches and the empty feeling go away eventually. If so when?