Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Roux n y per MD yesterday - Sleeve

So I was told by the surgeon yesterday that he can not do the Roux n y because of scaring from hysterectomy and ventral hernia so he will only do the sleeve. My insurance will ONLY cover this doctor so I can't shop around for other options.

I have only researched the bypass and so am new to this forum looking for information on the sleeve. Will I lose as much weight? Is it more mentally intensive? I don't know what to think about this.

I would ONLY have a sleeve. Neither band nor bypass were an option for me. My doctor refused to do bands because of all the complications related and I refused to have a bypass.

My sleeve allows me to eat anything I want, but I am severely limited as far as quantity. I didn't want the possibility of dumping (but I got it anyways when I eat ice cream) and I didn't want my intestines re-routed. I am unable to eat more than 1/4-1/2 cup of anything at one sitting, so I have learned that I must make bold, flavorful but nutritious choices or I will not feel "right" or satisfied. No more bland food, no more fried food, no more crappy carbs.

I don't worry about malnutrition OR Vitamin deficiencies. I knew I would suck at taking my Vitamins, so that was another reason bypass wasn't an option.

I look and feel great. I can eat whatever, whenever and no one would know by my eating habits that I had surgery. They just know I pick at my food and usually take a box home. :D That's all they need to know.

post-175552-0-56870200-1433505295_thumb.jpg

@@LipstickLady - I feel the same way about "bold and flavorful" choices :D

I find that if it doesn't have a bold (strong) taste or flavorful (spicy or seasoned) I just don't see the point. So I don't eat it.

Thanks for the pictures, @LipstickLady. I have wondered what you look like (beyond the lipstick) :)

I originally wanted the RNY, but because of one of the meds I take my surgeon said the sleeve was my only option. I'm so glad I went this route. I'm only 10 weeks out, but have lost 44% of my excess (60 lbs of 137) and can exercise without sweating profusely! Not that this wouldn't have happened with RNY, but the thought of my innards being re-routed kind of scares me. It's hard work either way. food isn't as enjoyable and you have to focus on finding other things that you enjoy -- a GOOD thing!

Best wishes in your journey. You have a ton of cyber support here!

Edited by deetz71

@LipstickLady... I burst out laughing when I read " never trust a fart" !!

Kate

I have family members that have had bypass and always have problems. I have friends and friends of friends that have lap band. 3 out of 4 have problems. I spent 2 years researching the sleeve. My surgery is set for the 15 of this month.

I also got the sleeve as my choice. My doctor agreed that was the best option for me. I didn't want the malabsorption issues. I didn't want thing re-routed and my stomach still in there. I didn't want the lap band and having to do those fills, much less the issues associated with it.

I was sleeved 5-15-15 and am doing great. I eat about 1/2 cup at each meal and drink tons of fluids. I make sure I get my Protein in every day. I take Vitamins but I don't mind them, they are chewable.< /em>

I am already off my medicines for my blood sugar and my blood sugar is stable so I am no longer diabetic.

I have a ways to go but this has been a huge success for me. Good luck!!

@@LipstickLady You have definitely made the transition from 'Ton-derland' to 'One-derland' :)

-RC-

@@LipstickLady You have definitely made the transition from 'Ton-derland' to 'One-derland' :)

-RC-

So uhmm... I am totally guessing you meant that as a compliment so I'll say thank you.

Just a word of advice for future reference? "Ton-derland" wasn't a good choice of words. In fact, it's really really bad. :D

My doc said RNY loses about 10% more statistically, but any of us can lose more. I had the sleeve and have lost about 95% of my excess weight, which surpasses statistics for all WLS. I'm not sure what you mean about mentally intensive, but my guess is no, it's all hard work, so one isn't harder than the other.

I had the sleeve because I wanted to be able to take NSAIDs, didn't want intestines to be re-routed, or risk of dumping. If I had the chance to do it over, I'd do it all again. I lost >140 pounds and kept it off over a year.

@LipstickLady 100% Compliment.

Didn't mean to offend. I personally plan to use that as description for my situation.

Sent you a DM re same.

-RC-

So I was told by the surgeon yesterday that he can not do the Roux n y because of scaring from hysterectomy and ventral hernia so he will only do the sleeve. My insurance will ONLY cover this doctor so I can't shop around for other options.

I have only researched the bypass and so am new to this forum looking for information on the sleeve. Will I lose as much weight? Is it more mentally intensive? I don't know what to think about this.

Hi Karen, My Dr. told me the sleeve you would loose 80 % of you excess body weight and the Gastric by pass you could loose 90% of excess weight. The sleeve is less evasive. He also told me with the sleeve you could loose more than 80% with correct eating. Did you have a surgery your date was the 5th ??

Regards Bill