Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am one year post surgery and wondering if my sleeve is stretched. I have seen reference to a 2:5 program or a pouch check plan and wondered what that was all about. I have been able to eat more in the last few months and some days it seems I am snacking a lot- usually if I am home for the day. This has also shown in weight loss rate. It is slower and I go down 3 and up 2 then down again. It is bouncing back and forth a bit. Has anyone had that experience and is it normal since I am exercising more?

Lots going on in the head and mostly wonder if I have damaged the sleeve?

Sue

I snack more when I work from home too. I dont think it has anything to do with phsiology. It's all mental with me.

Your sleeve CAN hold more than it did when it was all swollen up and tiny. But don't get wrapped up in that. It's almost always behavioral. Are you separating the eating and drinking well? Are you getting firm, chunky Protein first thing, and eating slowly? So you can feel full longer. Or are you eating a lot of carbs that make you crave more carbs and just slide right on through the gut?

Snacking isnt good for your sleeve or the scale. You should slowly fill the pouch with stuff that is healthy and really satisfying. And dont flush it quickly with liquids. If you do that, your brain will have the biological signal of fullness longer. And you can tell your head hunger to go away.

If you're feeling hungry again soon after eating, think about it. Something isnt making sense. Check the details of how youre eating. Then if all else fails, get out of the house. Go for a walk with your drink bottle so you wont be in the kitchen when head hunger strikes.

All my best,

Jay

Excellent recommendations, @@2Big2Skate!!!

I'm in a similar spot to Susan although I'm not as far out from my surgery as she is. I know a lot of my "hunger" is head hunger, and, unfortunately, for the past few days some stress eating has been creeping back in while I'm at work. Working diligently on getting control of both.

Sure do appreciate all the support, encouragement, and guidance on BP!!!

@@Susan Quincey -- We CAN do this!!! Don't get discouraged! As long as we're doing what we're supposed to be doing, even if the weight is slow to leave our bodies, it will come off. And it could be that while we're not losing weight at the rate we expect, inches could be coming off instead. Hang in there!

Your sleeve will do nothing to restrict you from snacking all day. In fact, that's one of the primary ways of bypassing the restriction of the sleeve.

Make sure you aren't drinking and eating at the same time and that you are always putting Protein first.

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure it is a head thing and I know I do not feel hungry when I snack. I have to engage in focused activity and get out when I see this starting. I have tended to spread my eating of meals out longer and so the Protein is first and then veggies come an hour later. So far this and almonds with cranberries have been the go to Snacks. Very careful to limit carbs that is my "crack" and will stat the problems out again.

Here's to the continued journey. Lifting a glass of Water with Crystal Light flavoring to everyone.

Hope all works out for you. I'm year and a half out. I still slip sometimes with trying to take a sip of Water after eating something. But that one sip brings me back to the first couple of months after surgery, were I get full and feel miserable. I keep my Snacks to nuts, hummus, small carrots and or cherry tomatoes.

I agree that it could be behavioral. I still fight my snacking demons. I am working on breaking those habits. Especially evening snacking. It's just a habit like anything else.

Hi,

I'm almost 2 yrs out from sleeve and originally lost 105 lbs between my lapband (slip) and sleeve. I'm now exactly 33 lbs heavier. I'm so disapointed in myself. I would kick my own butt if I could.

I;ve also head alot about the 5 Day Pouch Test and I'm on day 1. Almost killed me going to Mexican with the fam tonite and ordering ablogondigas Soup and eating just the broth. But I did it. Only 1 more day of liquids b4 I can add in soft Proteins. I can do it. Hoping it'll "reset" my sleeve again. I know I can't really shrink it but I hope to do something.

WHile I can't give the hints and advice I don't have, I know what ur going thru. I snack at nite while watching tv. I probly eat about 50% of my daily calories after 8 pm. Not good.

Good luck to u. And me. And everyone worried that they're out of control and stretched their sleeve.

Marci

I feel I like a failure bc I'm back to eating my carbs and sugars. I don't know how to stop but today is a new day and I'll do my best. I need advice. How does one go back to the good ol'days?

I'm definitely not perfect. I've been know to slip in some doritos or a muffin here and there. But what works for me the VAST majority of the time is to eat on a schedule. I eat 6 times a day: Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. I eat a set amount at each of those time, I don't just mindlessly eat until I'm overfull. Since I'm eating every 2-3 hours, I really don't have TIME for unplanned snacking. I also just practice the usual trick of not keeping the junk food in the house.

I definitely think having scheduled and defined Snacks is the way to go. I'm much less likely to sit down and eat some chips or something junky if I'm due for my afternoon yogurt in less than an hour.

Edited by JamieLogical

Oh, I hope someone reads this and can help me-if in fact I have a problem.

I am 10 days post sleeve and started working in soft Proteins yesterday. Today I was stuck away from home and made 1/2 a bologna sandwich at my friends. I had NO trouble eating, did not feel full and almost ate the other half. Is my sleeve too big? Did I somehow stretch it? I felt very restricted the last 10 days but I never threw up any food or felt sick from too much.

I realize this is a very specific problem, but did any one else feel just fine eating soft Proteins, and bread right away? I thought I would never be able to eat bread again.

ST

Your stomach was cut open and sewn back up 10 days ago. Your nerve endings are still probably numb from the surgery, so you may not be feeling much sensation. That's why it's really important to stick to your surgeons post op diet. You're risking tearing open those stitches and getting a leak if you fill it up too much...especially with bread that expands!

And no, you will be able to eat most things in a few months time when you heal. The problem is if you should. This surgery isn't magic. You have to help it along by making smart, healthy choices. And a bologna sandwich 10 days out isn't a great start.

Thank you Babbs!

I need a kick in the ass! I am going to stick to the post-op liquid diet for 5 more days. Clearly I am not ready to "handle" anything else. Plus, I have so much broth and Jello left.

ST

@@SaintTeresa

Just be careful! I would hate to see you back in the hospital! Keep doing your liquids and when your doctor tells you it's time, then advance. I think once you're a little more healed and on more solid food, you will feel more restriction. Especially when it's dense protien.

In reading about snacking challenges it looks like we all have this as a continued challenge. I talk to myself a lot on these things in the day and sometimes I lose the discussion and eat the bad thing. But what I have noticed and must keep in mind is it is all about Portion Control. For that work is a great help. When I am at work I can eat what I brought and that is in small portions and all good choices. Later at home the snacking has to be controlled when I am at home. So I have focused exercise time after work and do chores when I get home. These take the focus off food and on to activities. When I feel like I might be feeling snaky and want too much of a good thing or a bad thing I call it a night and go to bed.