Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance is not what I expected.

Thanks for the tip! I've never tried Quest Bars, but a little research shows that they have 160-210 calories (depending on the flavor), 21-25 carbs from nuts (3-5 net carbs), and 20 mighty grams of Protein. That's pretty impressive! So my question is.... For those of us who might be tempted to keep going back for more Snacks, do they satisfy the cravings for a good, long time, or might we find ourselves reaching for another one an hour later? That's still my biggest fear. That I'd go through the whole box in a couple of days. Oh wait – that's old thinking. New thinking is eating to live, not the other way around.... :wacko: Can you buy Quest bars in stores, or just online?

I rely on Quest bars for the times I need Protein , but either not so hungry or at work and busy. They really satisfy me. I find them at GNC stores ... They are not cheap but I find they are worth it!

I buy them both online and in stores. Here in San Diego I have found a nutrition store that has them super cheap and they have just found a new very loyal customer ;-)

So this weekend I ran my first chip timed 5k, and hit my surgeons set weight goal!! 140, I would like 3 more pounds so that clothed and not first thing in the morning maybe it will be 140 at the doctors office. But it was fun to accomplish my first fitness goal, and I wasn't the last one to cross the finish line :-) I finished in 34:08, I have never ran that long without stopping!!

Edited by PinkPolkadot619

post-208911-14349892896402_thumb.jpg post-208911-14349893103709_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the run!!!

Congratulations on the run!!!

Thank you. Focusing on new goals now that I have hit my surgeons goal weight. (I still want 3 more pounds) but trying to set new goals and see what this new body can do.

I think Ann's shrink is right. I might add another frequently seen issue....physical problems develop and interfere with the new active lifestyle. I haven't really regained/floating around goal, but I wear bigger clothes due to the working out issues.

Roger ...

Beef / turkey Jerky

Greek yogurt

cheese

Doesn't take a lot for me -- just a serving.

On the cracker front, the only ones I now eat are Wasa multigrain (high fiber) crackers.

Roger ...

Beef / turkey Jerky

Greek yogurt

cheese

Doesn't take a lot for me -- just a serving.

On the cracker front, the only ones I now eat are Wasa multigrain (high fiber) crackers.

Oh yeah, I'm totally jerky boy! And yogurt... and cheese... But I tend to keep going back for more. That's what has me slightly worried. I seem to still need to be consuming and/or feeling full all the time. I've been able to manage it so far by choosing safe foods and drinking ridiculous amounts of fluids, but it feels risky for the long run. Gotta find a non-consumable replacement. :wacko:

I have been eating the Quest bars to help me with snacking and getting Protein in for Breakfast. I also have been eating Power Crunch Protein Bars. The only thing they are 200 calories , but the carbs are so low and the protein is 14. They really help when I am craving something sweet. The different Greek yogurt flavors that are 80-100 calories. They have 12-14 grams of protein. Sometimes, I freeze them and they taste just like frozen yogurt.

Thanks for that post USGAnn2014!! Great information and also some of the same things I've heard and currently experiencing. I reached goal 10 mo post op (March 2015) and then lost another 7 since then even though I was supposed to be in maintenance mode. Mentally, I do not think I can be in the maintenance mode. Like others, I've been in the weight loss mode for 20 years and I just don't know any other way to live. I miss my scale rewards, I miss the comments people would make during my weight loss, but both are gone and I haven't figured out a way to live without them. I still get on that darn scale about every other day despite knowing I shouldn't. I still drink a shake every morning and eat like I did during the weight loss phase. I can hold more food though so my turkey burgers and chicken breast portions have just increased. My trainer has me doing less cardio and more weight training to reduce my fat percentage. Its working, but slowly. She is attempting to help me change my goals to body fat percentage instead of BMI and scale rewards, but I'm just not quite there yet. Little by little I'm learning to live the "skinny person's" life but its harder than I thought!! I'm happy being thin, don't get me wrong, I just didn't expect the mental part to be so hard! And why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and think, ick...there is still fat person looking back at me???!!!! Not something I expected. Maybe some day I will learn to live/accept I'm on maintenance. I am so afraid to gain it back that I'm just not there yet.

Congrats to everyone at goal or close to it!

Thanks for that post USGAnn2014!! Great information and also some of the same things I've heard and currently experiencing. I reached goal 10 mo post op (March 2015) and then lost another 7 since then even though I was supposed to be in maintenance mode. Mentally, I do not think I can be in the maintenance mode. Like others, I've been in the weight loss mode for 20 years and I just don't know any other way to live. I miss my scale rewards, I miss the comments people would make during my weight loss, but both are gone and I haven't figured out a way to live without them. I still get on that darn scale about every other day despite knowing I shouldn't. I still drink a shake every morning and eat like I did during the weight loss phase. I can hold more food though so my turkey burgers and chicken breast portions have just increased. My trainer has me doing less cardio and more weight training to reduce my fat percentage. Its working, but slowly. She is attempting to help me change my goals to body fat percentage instead of BMI and scale rewards, but I'm just not quite there yet. Little by little I'm learning to live the "skinny person's" life but its harder than I thought!! I'm happy being thin, don't get me wrong, I just didn't expect the mental part to be so hard! And why is it that there are days I look in the mirror and think, ick...there is still fat person looking back at me???!!!! Not something I expected. Maybe some day I will learn to live/accept I'm on maintenance. I am so afraid to gain it back that I'm just not there yet.

Congrats to everyone at goal or close to it!

Thank you for sharing, making the mental shift is very hard. I am so scared the thin person I see in the mirror will disappear one day...... but everyday is a new lesson and a new Journey. Thank you all for sharing and helping me to know I am not alone.

I feel the same way. Maintenance is hard. I have reach goal now at 9 months. I am still losing. But, I have a fear that I will gain the weight back. I started Jillian's 30day shred. To help with toning. I find that I mentally need those rewards that I was getting when I was losing weight. I am so excited that I am in a size 6, but I still feel I have a lot to still do. It is a everyday mental challenge to help me to realize I can breathe a little now and find different things to focus on.

Well, once again, I am the freak in the crowd. For me, maintenance has been boring and wonderful! I reached goal around this time last year and continued to lose another 10 pounds. I've maintained my lowest weight (with a small bounce range) for almost 10 months. But besides rough counting my Protein and Water amounts in my head each day, I never tracked or measured anything, so the transition between losing and maintaining was no big deal.

I'm also one of those "I had surgery so I would never have to diet again" loonies. I am committed 110% to being successful with my VSG, but I'm also not willing to go against what's in my nature to do. I know I would fail (and be unhappy) if I tried. Following a regimented diet plan, using MFP, going to the gym, running 5K's, etc. are just not "me". The main changes I made in conjunction with surgery were to simply make healthy food choices and drink a lot less alcohol.

The other difference I've noticed with me compared to a lot of posts I read is that I never made that big of deal about my goal weight. I didn't really perceive of reaching it as an end point. I knew being a WLS patient was a forever thing, not just a losing thing. Maybe that's why I never felt the need to seek a new "goal" to stay motivated. I'm just happy to be the size I am, feel as great as I do, do all the physical activities that I can and simply eat like a "normal" thin person. That's all the motivation I need.....That and an occasional glance at my before pictures.

I hope you all find what works for you for long term success. (And that my way continues to work for me)