Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance is not what I expected.

After reaching goal. I slowed down my work outs and added carb's. I was able to maintain my weight. But it felt empty. In weight loss mode I was very focused and goal oriented. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm now directing maintenance in to fitness level goals. I'm reading how to get better results from my work out. I'm trying to get my body more lean and build more muscle. My hope if I keep this mind set I will continue to keep my head in this for the long term.

I completely agree. I'm 6 lbs from my goal weight, based on BMI (although I might reevaluate that number) so although I'm not yet in maintenance, I'm close. Rather than scale goals, which are much harder to come by these days, I've started focusing on fitness goals. I'm trying to increase my lean muscle mass, or increase my speed when I run. I found that having a goal is important to my continued success as I stay more focused when I'm striving for something.

I know I am still having issues thinking I might be ready for Maintenance soon. But I was told my body should even out and to not make any huge adjustments. So that helped my brain a little. But to think that I won't NEED to loose weight is odd to me. I also am setting new goals and making them fitness oriented.

The closer I get to goal, the more I think about that exact same thing. Without the daily motivation of working toward a goal, how can I continue to stay motivated? It almost makes me want to take my time getting to maintenance. Almost ;)

Congratulations on the progress you've made!!!! I'm nearly four years post-op and find myself seriously backsliding. I developed GERDS, which my physician attributes to eating around the band, which is true. He emptied my band so now I'm able to eat more and more food. There is no one to blame but myself for this situation and I keep thinking and telling myself I need to get back into the mindset of eating right and exercising. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to get there.

If any of you have advice of tips to offer, I'd greatly appreciate it!!! :)

First, I have the Lap Band so it may be different than by-pass or sleeve.....

I keep reading the posts on this forum, because, to be honest, I am not sure what "Maintenance" is...

I had surgery, which changed the way I eat, What I eat. and how much I eat....it was a reversal from what I used to do to get so fat....

So, for me to go on "maintenance", I would do what...? Change my new habits when it comes to food and eating???

I don't think I want to do that......

You could say, reaching any goal as far as weight was a "Perk" to learning to get rid of those bad habits and learning to live a new, healthier way....

But I will keep lurking to see if I learn anything....

@@MelissaKSea

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I understand the frustration. With your band empty does this feel like loosing weight as if you had not had WLS? I wish I had some good advice. At four years out I'm sure you have read about band to sleeve revision. Finances and risk another surgery may be an issue

I totally understand how you feel. I've been very mission oriented for almost 20 months...lose weight, workout, eat right, get on the scale, lose weight, workout, eat right, get on the scale...lol, that is my life. Now though I'm technically at a point where I can maintain but I don't really want to shift out of the orientation toward losing weight because I'm afraid I'll end up fat again. Knock on wood I haven't had a super hard time maintaining between 126-129, but I feel like if I can just hit 118 or 119 then I have even more leeway. I understand what it's like to feel like you don't have a goal anymore and I also feel that odd empty feeling. Now what am I going to obsess about?

I had the lap band. It slipped last May and they took the saline out. I will advise you to be very careful. After being so restricted for so long once that saline was gone it was very easy to slip back into poor eating habits. I gained almost all my weight back. Last Thursday I had my band removed and converted to a sleeve. So far things are going well. I know all about that GERD business and it was no fun. I wish you the best of luck.

To the OP's issue -- finding new goals that interest and motivate us -- and to the other issue mentioned above about the seduction of continuing to lose weight, either out of habit or obsession ....

Yes. Uh-huh. Me, too. Amen!

I'm now 4 pounds below goal. And trying hard (at least some of the time) to stop losing weight. My avowed new goals are similar to others' -- reduce my body fat / increase my lean body mass, get stronger, faster, leaner (but not lighter), etc.

The pattern that I'm following now (may have to shake this up) is to eat 1,400 calories during the week (with equal calories from Protein, carbs and fats) and then eat 1,700-2,000 on the weekends.

I'm still using MFP to plan and track all my menus / food intake. I expect to do that most of the time to not let this "get away from me." My nutritionist and exercise consultant and I think that my maintenance calories will be around 1,600 - 1,700 at my current exercise levels. We shall see what happens. ;)

On the regain issues ... my shrink works with a number of bariatric patients and has seen many people go through this process. Back in January (over four months ago) I asked him, "What issues do you see patients struggling with who regain weight? And by that I don't mean that they're eating too much. I'm really asking what's going on inside them that leads them to regain?"

After thinking a moment, he said: "What I mostly see is that they're struggling to find new reasons and new motivations to focus on their weight and fitness.

"After they hit their goal weights, many of the rewards they got while losing weight go away. They're no longer motivated by seeing the scale move down. After a while, their family and friends get used to what they look like and stop commenting on their weight loss or weight. Even people who were their strongest supporters during the weight loss phase no longer offer supportive comments. And when this positive reinforcement disappears, that has a negative effect on the patients.

"So then they must find new goals and new motivations to maintain their weight and to be fit. And for some folks that's not easy."

So that's one shrink's brief observations about the cause of WLS patients' weight regain. Maybe that will ring some bells for other readers.

Thank you for starting this topic, @@jenn1! And @@VSGAnn2014, I think your shrink may have hit the nail on the head. At least for those who actually make it to goal. I wonder what he'd say about those who stop short of goal? I've maintained below my goal for nearly two months so far, and quite frankly, I'm not eating THAT differently than before. Except that I eat Safeway's quinoa tabouleh a couple of times a week, and a little brown rice or sweet potato from time to time. For my birthday dinner, I ate two or three small bites of dessert, which I never would have done during the weight loss phase. But for the most part, I'm still eating Protein and some veggies. I still get on the scale every morning, and I think that helps keep me motivated. But I've found myself exercising less, rather than more. I used to be a meaty guy, but now at 5'6", I'm really kind of tiny. My wife and daughter don't like me to be so bony, so I really need to start working on building muscle mass to pad my ribs and shoulders. So that will have to be my next motivation. A little harder to quantify than scale victories, but helpful nonetheless. And yes, the compliments are becoming fewer and fewer. Of course, that's as it should be. But losing all that positive attention sure leaves a motivational vacuum, doesn't it? Okay, this thread has helped already – I'm determined to get my bony butt back to the gym!!! How about you?!!

Met with my shrink today, and we continued the discussion about, "Now what?!"

We decided that during the next month I'll identify the new metrics I want to track re fitness and strength building.

During the weight losing phase I focused on the scale, my daily calories, and my Protein grams as my prime metrics.

I won't stop tracking those. But it's time to expand my focus to include some new, different metrics. I've gotta think about this!

I'm not a very good tracker. I did the MFP thing for a while, but once I figured out my formula, I stopped tracking. I like your idea of tracking physical performance. By the way, I've posted it before, but it bears repeating for those in maintenance.... My doc had a very good suggestion when I asked about adding carbs back into my program. He said to only add back the types of carbs that you would cook for a meal (brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, whole wheat Pasta, etc.) That way, you're never tempted to go to the fridge or pantry for a handful. I really think that makes sense!

The good side of my problem with snacking on so many nuts, is that when I go to the pantry and see crackers and chips and other crap, at least there's something protein-based for me to grab instead. But I probably need to find a better alternative for the long haul.

Does anybody have non-carb, quick grab-n-go snack ideas to share? Low-maintenance and crunchy, but not "dangerous" is what I'm thinking about, like baby carrots and hummus. What else......?

@@Rogofulm

I have issues with snacking. My time is crunched at work so I grab a quick meal out the door. The problem is I grabbed a box of wheat thins and had no room for Protein. My body did not respond well. I now have Quest bar. I seem to have no time to eat at work these days.

@@jenn1

I love Quest bars, they save me all the time!! and helps me to not eat the Junk I know I should not snack on