Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to Expect Initially Post Op?

I'm interested in your experience post op VSG.

I went to the obligatory pre op support group session and listened to questions & answers from the attendees. Many questions related to post op pain/nausea, etc. 100% of the respondents reported minimal to no pain/nausea. All said they rarely or never took the pain pills ordered when they got home. Some reported mild nausea, passing after a few days. A few said they slept in recliners because it was more comfortable for a few days.

Now I've discovered these boards and have read some real horror stories! While I realize that people are more prone to complain than praise on the internet, a couple these stories bordered on tragic.

I had a laparoscopic GB removal with an uneventful & pretty painless recovery. I expected this surgery to be similar. Now I hear of people needing pillow support to cough & on the ride home (something I equate with large abdominal incisions rather than lap surgery), and even N & V requiring repeat hospitalizations with IV hydration & possibly TPN.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking the two surgeries (VSG & GB) are even remotely the same with regards to post op expectations? For the record, I'll also have a hiatal hernia repair with the VSG.

I know each person will have an individual experience, but can you please relate your experience?

Would appreciate hearing "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Not trying to scare myself - just trying to get a handle on what CAN be expected. I've already heard what my surgeon expects my experience to be like - would like to hear what yours actually was.

TIA

I would say the laproscopic gall bladder surgery was very similar to the VSG. I did wake up with some right side pain where I believe they took out the portion of my stomach. Nothing that the pain pump couldn't handle. Only a little nausea, and no gas pain whatsoever. I was up and walking and showering the next day. Just soreness when I got home, like I'd done too many sit ups. I'm a Realtor, and I actually felt well enough to go to a walk through and 2 closings that same week.

Everyone is different though. Too many variables to pin point what your experience will be like. Hopefully as easy as mine :)

Make a list of questions to ask your surgeon. One of them should be, "How do you handle pain management, especially in preventing redsidual shoulder gas?" My doctor said the he extracts as much of the CO2 as possible. Consequently, I had no shoulder gas. Some people suffer miserably with it for days. I had a morphine drip day of my surgery and therefore did not care what was going on all day. I stayed two days and two nights. Second day, I had hydrocodone, an also came home with a prescription for that. I only needed it for two days. Yes, I did sleep in a recliner my first night home, but not after that.

I did have some nausea, but they sent me home with meds for it. I did not throw up at all until about six months out when I had some kind of 24 hour bug and was sick all night. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. I did not holler for help soon enough and got woozy and passed out twice, hitting my head on the tub twice. I ended up in the ER two days later for dehydration, and stayed overnight for observation with IVs. One guy on here said he passed out and fell on a coffee table, busting his jaw. If you get woozy, sit down and get help. Don't be brave.

My sleeve was lapascopic with four tiny incisions. I went to the hospital pre-pared with a bariatric Teddy Bear. It has one solid side and all the rest is soft cuddly teddy bear. I did indeed keep it handy for tummy support at the hospital, on the way home, and about the first week in bed. I hear that some hospitals provide one, but I bought mine online.

My recovery was pretty much textbook without complications. I had a three month pre-op diet and a 10 day liquid diet because my liver was a bit large and needed to be shrunk a bit. Post-op, I was on Clear liquids in the hospital, full liquids my first week at home, then purees for a week, the soft foods for a couple of weeks. At 4 1/2 weeks I started regular cooked food as tolerated. At three months I tried raw foods and salad greens, but had to back off for a month or so.

My energy was really low until I started soft foods. It was almost two months before I was back to a regular day, but I am retired. My heart goes out to my bariatric brothers and sisters who have to return to employment or care for small children. They are my heroes.

Hope that gives you an idea. Good luck with your bariatric journey.

My experience was so like your GB removal. Up and gone from the hospital in 36 hours or so. I had some pain immediately post op but I think they overestimated my pain tolerance based on a previous surgery. Basically, once I was home didn't need to use pain meds except once or twice. Haven't had any nausea at all! No vomiting. Twice had vaso-vagal attacks (fainted) early on. Now I'm very careful to pay attention to signals that tell me I'm full. No more attacks diced then.

Make a list of questions to ask your surgeon. One of them should be, "How do you handle pain management, especially in preventing redsidual shoulder gas?" My doctor said the he extracts as much of the CO2 as possible. Consequently, I had no shoulder gas. Some people suffer miserably with it for days. I had a morphine drip day of my surgery and therefore did not care what was going on all day. I stayed two days and two nights. Second day, I had hydrocodone, an also came home with a prescription for that. I only needed it for two days. Yes, I did sleep in a recliner my first night home, but not after that.

I did have some nausea, but they sent me home with meds for it. I did not throw up at all until about six months out when I had some kind of 24 hour bug and was sick all night. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. I did not holler for help soon enough and got woozy and passed out twice, hitting my head on the tub twice. I ended up in the ER two days later for dehydration, and stayed overnight for observation with IVs. One guy on here said he passed out and fell on a coffee table, busting his jaw. If you get woozy, sit down and get help. Don't be brave.

My sleeve was lapascopic with four tiny incisions. I went to the hospital pre-pared with a bariatric Teddy Bear. It has one solid side and all the rest is soft cuddly teddy bear. I did indeed keep it handy for tummy support at the hospital, on the way home, and about the first week in bed. I hear that some hospitals provide one, but I bought mine online.

My recovery was pretty much textbook without complications. I had a three month pre-op diet and a 10 day liquid diet because my liver was a bit large and needed to be shrunk a bit. Post-op, I was on Clear Liquids in the hospital, full liquids my first week at home, then purees for a week, the soft foods for a couple of weeks. At 4 1/2 weeks I started regular cooked food as tolerated. At three months I tried raw foods and salad greens, but had to back off for a month or so.

My energy was really low until I started soft foods. It was almost two months before I was back to a regular day, but I am retired. My heart goes out to my bariatric brothers and sisters who have to return to employment or care for small children. They are my heroes.

Hope that gives you an idea. Good luck with your bariatric journey.

My experience was so like Babbs GB removal. Up and gone from the hospital in 36 hours or so. I had some pain immediately post op but I think they overestimated my pain tolerance based on a previous surgery. Basically, once I was home didn't need to use pain meds except once or twice. Haven't had any nausea at all! No vomiting. Twice had vaso-vagal attacks (fainted) early on. Now I'm very careful to pay attention to signals that tell me I'm full. No more attacks diced then.

Thank you Miss Mac & Lovin Soul! I'm relieved to hear you both did so well. Will be sure to bring my pillow with me.

The first 5 days were the worst! I faithfully took my pain meds initially. On day 6, I decided to try skipping one to see how I felt and it wasn't too bad. I never took one after that. In the end, it's all worth it and I would do it all again.

Having everything set-up at home helps including a comfortable place to sleep (I couldn't lay in bed for a week and the armchair was my best friend). Think ahead about all the 'creature comforts' that will make your life easy those first few days and have them ready and easily accessible. Pre-made Protein drinks, magazines, movies, extra blankets because you'll be freezing post-op! Line up child care and dog walkers too! Stock up on everything your doctor suggests- gauze, Vitamins, SF Jello, GasX strips, etc.

It's a time to be all about YOU! It's totally worth it.

I had hiatal hernia repair with my sleeve surgery that was awful. I had very painful spasms which ended with me in tears. Spasms lasted me 3 weeks. I went back to work at 2 weeks. I'm currently 6.5 weeks out and still have severe naseua I take phenegren everyday after work. I'm down 36 lbs and taking it all day by day.

My surgeon, too, removed all the gas and I had no pain post op. I also had no nausea...in fact, first surgery ever that I didn't wake up nauseous. I received no narcotics either in the hospital or to take home. I was given sublingual NSAIDS to use as needed but I didn't need them. I was shopping and walked a couple miles the day after surgery. The only discomfort was from the drain and that was more of a cramping feeling than anything. Went away as soon as they pulled it. Overall I basically just felt like I'd done a ton of sit-ups. Traveling, shopping, laundry, feeding horses, running errands, etc all with the 1st 5 days. Back to work within a week. No problems sleeping in my waterbed with two dogs and three cats for company.

I did get dehydrated enough to require IV fluids three times, but that was due to severe diarrhea from an unrelated illness 2 months postop. My BP was in the basement and my resting HR was over 100. I barely made it to urgent care one time. Do whatever you have to to stay hydrated...dehydration sucks!

I wish you as smooth of a recovery as I had!

Edited by Kindle

I didn't know the surgeons could remove the gas?! That would be my biggest complaint and it passes fairly quickly - no pun intended :D

I have not experienced nausea with anesthesia until this surgery. They placed an anti-nausea patch behind my ear ahead of time. I did, later that day, end up having dry heaves and that felt pretty awful but it also got rid of some of the gas-lol. The nurse taught me how to breath when the nausea came on and the next day I had none. I was told that the more I could walk the faster I would heal so my first time up to the bathroom I was up and walking the halls.

I did have some pain- not much- the worst was (sorry) wiping after attending to business in the bathroom but that got easier as time went on. The incisions made themselves known but were not so bad.

They taught me to use a pillow when getting in and out of bed in the hospital but by the next morning I wasn't using it and i did not have one for the car ride home.

I did have very soft sweats - about 2 sizes too big- my belly area stayed swollen for some time. Even 2 weeks after when I tried on my loosest jeans they were now tight around my waist.

What I was not expecting was the Lovenox. I had to give myself injections of blood thinners twice a day for two weeks. Again mild in the scheme of things but an unexpected surprise.

And now- 6 weeks out- it's all just memories and I'm shrinking and I'd do it again :)

Oh yeah, I did forget about the swollen belly. I looked like I was pregnant and my sister thought it was hilarious....made me pose for profile pictures. It was almost three weeks before I could fit in my jeans. Had to wear elastic waist pants.

As for the gas they pump in, it's actually in your abdominal cavity, not your intestines and stomach. It migrates around your body until it can be absorbed and expelled. that's what causes the pain...especially shoulder pain because the gas settles in the highest spot.

Thank you all for relating your stories. Appreciated the added bits of info Babbs, dms, nmsurgirl, and you Kindle put in your stories.

Will def ask my MD if he evacuates the gas before closure - sounds like that's the way to go! :)