Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, here to introduce myself!

I was banded in 2009 and had a very successful few years. Weight loss was quick and first, then slower, but steady. I got within 20lbs of goal. I loved my band!

But about 3 years ago, I suddenly developed really severe GERD out of nowhere. Then started vomiting everything. Sometimes even Water. I found myself in the ER more than once. Scary. I've had a million upper GIs but they don't show a slip or any obvious reason for the sudden pain and discomfort.

I have had a complete unfill for 2 years, now, but still sometimes have these symptoms (not as severe, but still uncomfortable). I've tried to keep the weight off but I'm slowing gaining again. Hard because the best foods for my health are the hardest to keep down. Over 2 years I've gained 25lbs back. Not awful, but the scale is heading in the wrong direction and it's frustrating, because I really do try.

My surgeon is advocating for a revision to RNY but insurance isn't too excited. My BMI is 31 and no co-morbidity. The band is obnoxious but not actively killing me at the moment, so it isn't an "emergency".

Despite everything, I refuse to be angry about this. I don't hate my band and I'm not sad I did it. But I do hope that they will officially retire the band surgery. It just does not seem like the safest long term option.

I'd love to hear of anyone else has had a similar story, and if they found a positive resolution.

Sorry you have had such a difficult time. Back in 2009, you won't have had the warnings which were just starting to be talked about at around the time. Like me in 2006, things like the build up of scar tissue simply weren't know .

Hope you manage to get whatever help you need.

Dear Banded,

Don't be upset. I had the same exact same thing happen to me. Only I had my band in for 6 years..I found a Dr. and his office that really wanted to help me. I fought for what I wanted and got it. As of May 18th 2015 I got my revision with a better band. You have to fight for everything you want as far as this surgery. Don't be upset about you weight gain because that will help you get on step closer to a revision. Just please fight for what you want. If you live on Long Island perhaps I can really help you. Please e mail with any questions you have. @msannie720@aol.com. I will be glad to help. I know what you are going through and it's not fun. Just hang in there. Your revision will come,

I was banded in 2011 lost abt 75lbs but now gaining it back plus IMG acid reflux, hearburn. Its crazy. Licorice helps and sometimes I put a little baking soda in Water and drink it down. Relief! But so much sodium. I discovered Slippery Elm tea works best very soothing. Anyway told my doctor he prescribed nexium but I don't want meds. Still I have an appt for an xray to see what's going on with the band. I'm hoping I'm OK but something's going on. I actslly don't want a revision. If they have to go back in I just want them to take it out. Do they do that, remove the band? What has to be the situation? Curious! Thanks!!

Hello, here to introduce myself!

I was banded in 2009 and had a very successful few years. Weight loss was quick and first, then slower, but steady. I got within 20lbs of goal. I loved my band!

But about 3 years ago, I suddenly developed really severe GERD out of nowhere. Then started vomiting everything. Sometimes even Water. I found myself in the ER more than once. Scary. I've had a million upper GIs but they don't show a slip or any obvious reason for the sudden pain and discomfort.

I have had a complete unfill for 2 years, now, but still sometimes have these symptoms (not as severe, but still uncomfortable). I've tried to keep the weight off but I'm slowing gaining again. Hard because the best foods for my health are the hardest to keep down. Over 2 years I've gained 25lbs back. Not awful, but the scale is heading in the wrong direction and it's frustrating, because I really do try.

My surgeon is advocating for a revision to RNY but insurance isn't too excited. My BMI is 31 and no co-morbidity. The band is obnoxious but not actively killing me at the moment, so it isn't an "emergency".

Despite everything, I refuse to be angry about this. I don't hate my band and I'm not sad I did it. But I do hope that they will officially retire the band surgery. It just does not seem like the safest long term option.

I'd love to hear of anyone else has had a similar story, and if they found a positive resolution.

Hello there, I had lap band surgery in Dec 2008, lost weight Quickly from 257 lbs to 200lbs by the end of the year, had a lot of problems also vomitting and could only eat a toddler size meal only. After that year i started having a lot of acid reflux and a whole lot of test done by ny surgeon, and could not find a solution, lost more weight down to 150 lbs. By the time they did find the problem 2 yrs later almost dying of dehydration n vomitting everything i put in my mouth! Could not eat nor sip Water, was weak could not do anything. I thougth i was going to die! Finally, my doctor did an Endoscopy, which he should have done from the beginning of my problems instead of barium swallow test! I had an inverted stomach hernia up my lap band. I had surgery and my lap band was replaced and was looser than the original one. They said that around that time they used a different model lap band than what they use now, which they discontinued. Had the 2nd surgery in 2012 and up to now no problems, except that i gained weight back to 240lbs and now scarred of getting fills. I gained weight this time too because i started eating carbs and not exercising. But i can go all day with only eating once a day. I now have to start watching what i eat n exercise in order to lose what i gained. You should get an Endoscopy once a year. Hope all goes well. Good Luck. The Band is a tool to help us lose weight and not a miracle for weight loss. Those are my doctors words!

I was banded in 2011 lost abt 75lbs but now gaining it back plus IMG acid reflux, hearburn. Its crazy. Licorice helps and sometimes I put a little baking soda in Water and drink it down. Relief! But so much sodium. I discovered Slippery Elm tea works best very soothing. Anyway told my doctor he prescribed nexium but I don't want meds. Still I have an appt for an xray to see what's going on with the band. I'm hoping I'm OK but something's going on. I actslly don't want a revision. If they have to go back in I just want them to take it out. Do they do that, remove the band? What has to be the situation? Curious! Thanks!!

Get an Endoscopy, I had an inverted hernia, my stomach was inverted up my lap band causing all those horrible problems with acid reflux and not able to eat or swallow water. my band was replaced. Now everything is good for 3 years!

Edited by acestarr01

Update: revision approved! I'm revising to RNY :)

Surgery is on July 20!

Any advice from others who have gone through the process?