Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I'm Amy. I live in Mound, MN - a western suburb of Minneapolis. I'm married and have three sons, ages 10, almost 4 and almost 2. I work full-time as a Buyer. I'm 38 years old.

I'm scheduled for a Roux-En-Y on June 22 after 6 months of Nutritionist Appointments, Exercise Physiologists, Psychiatrists, and Surgeon appointments. I'm 'the ideal candidate'.

I'm pretty sure my story isn't much different than anyone else on this forum...I've struggled with being overweight since I was 8. I don't know what it's like to feel comfortable in my own skin. I have always been seeking out the magical diet or super-pill that would make me a slim and fit super-woman. I contemplated surgery for a while but needed a push from God to make it a reality...and then a good childhood friend had it done and I saw how much it changed her. She's always been a gorgeous person but after her surgery, she radiates happiness. Seeing this was the nudge I needed to start the discussions - first with my husband. In my head, he was going to tell me I didn't need surgery - that I just needed to workout more and eat less...but instead, he told me how much it pained him to watch me struggle and fail over and over. He wants me to be my best me and if surgery is the way to get there, so be it. So he joined me in attending a Bariatric Surgery informational session and held my hand as we heard the good, bad and ugly details of gastric bypass. As we left, he was more supportive as ever and I was excited to begin the process. I scheduled my appointments - the entire 6 months at once - and jumped in head first.

Insurance approved my surgery upon the first submission on 4/6/2015 and I scheduled in early May. Currently I'm a little over 3 weeks away from surgery and 4 pounds above my 'necessary' weight - so I'm following a low-carb, high lean protien, Water diet and this has helped me drop 9 pounds in the past 9 days. I have my short-term disability leave lined up with work with 1 week at home doing nothing and one week working from home. I can start back to work as fast or slow as I can handle - my boss is super supportive.

My biggest fear right now is not pain - I got a preview of the RNY post-op when I had my gallbladder out in December. Granted, I was able to eat and drink immediately following that surgery but the incisions were very similar to the RNY. My biggest fear is breaking up with food. I watch my kids eat ice cream at night and almost feel like crying. I love food. And changing my relationship with it is going to be very very hard. Necessary, I know...but hard.

So that's my story. I have participated in another online forum for moms for the past 10 years and I know how amazing online communities can be so I'm excited to have a new group of folks to help me through this. I look forward to getting to know you!!

-Amy

Good luck with your surgery Amy. It is and will be life changing. I feel like a brand new person mentally, emotionally and physically. I was 247 now I'm 130 in 10 months. It is very hard work but well worth it.

Hi amy- I'm in maple grove! Can not wait to get this party started! I too am not excited about the break up w food. It's so hard! But so necessary-ugh

Hi Amy, I'm a month post op, and I'm a big foody. I think you will find you will not have to break up with food, but redefine the relationship. I want to eat it and enjoy it, not eat it too get a high. I think we are going to be pleased, so far so good for me. I'm not craving like before. It is empowering! Good luck!

Hi Amy! I live in Iowa and I had my RNY on May 11th! So not quite a month out!

It's been challenging but so so rewarding and you will do just fine!

I thought I'd have a hard time "breaking up" with food but I really don't get hungry very often. I've really not craved anything except maybe pizza but I let myself have a bite or two& it satisfied me. It's a very strange feeling to not be hungry. Good luck & I pray everything will turn out well for you. :-)

Hi Amy! I am 35 years old, located in Shakopee and meet with the surgeon on Monday after 6 months of the same. I am hoping to have my surgery in the next 3 to 4 weeks! Where are you having your surgery? I will be having mine at Methodist through Park Nicollet. I'd love to connect up with someone local who is at the same stage!