Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I was sleeved 4/13. I'm doing pretty well but I have started my workouts. Now I am pretty sure I am getting seriously dehydrated. I can't drink Water fast enough, the mixes in my Water make me gag. I was a big water drinker before (never drank at meals). Now I try to drink SF poweraide, water, slip in some milk and natural juice when I can but it's not enough. Especially when it's hot outside. I carry my water bottle with me, the issue is water feels like a marble when it hits my stomach. Drinking any slower will require me to quit everything and become a FT water sipper. (Haha) The last 2 days, I have had headaches that don't go away, tense muscle pains in my neck and shoulders, I'm nauseated, and mouth is dry. At what point do I worry and go see my doctor? I have never been dehydrated before so I am not sure how it progresses. Thanks everyone!

did you also go off caffeine? I got a headache from that but no pain in the neck and shoulders.

are you sweating? the NUT told us if we could pinch skin on the backside of our hands and it go back into place that we are pretty good to go with being hydrated. if the skin stood up and slowly went back down then we needed to hydrate.

What about the bathroom? are you going? is it straw colored or dark?

I would call the doctors office and in the meantime try to keep something down. I am in florida and it is humid so it can sneak up on you quickly.

I did go off caffeine but got over that weeks ago, it wasn't too bad.

I am only sweating when I workout. My skin has good bounce back. So I guess I am ok. I'm going to take a day and just focus on various forms of Fluid. See if I can get control of this.

It must be nice to have a supporter that is knowledgeable. I've met a couple in my process. One is impossible to contact and the other is all about forcing her opinion and not listening to your concern. She also runs the only local support group. Ugh. Thank goodness I have this!

My urine is darker that normal for sure. Heavier density, if that's possible? At least that's how it feels. I would say dark straw but not orange.

It's a very frustrating process, this new life adjustment. Just when you think you have a handle on it, something new appears. But, I don't regret it for a second! Thanks, Jane.

Like @@jane13 said, the color of your urine is a good indicator of getting enough fluids.

If Water makes your stomach queasy, which happen for some people at first, find something that you do like to add to it. Mio, Water flavorings, Some lemon/lime. I found that I don't like an entire tube of Crystal light in my water, but half of one is delicious to me. And you are right that you should be sipping pretty much "FT"! If you are drinking enough all day you will be still be thirsty after working out, but not have a risk of dehydration! It might be enough to just make sure you drink a full bottle of Gatorade just prior to your workout!

See if you can change the temperature of your Water. I struggle with super iced cold water, but do great with room temperatures. Also consider using a straw (controversial I know). I do best when sipping from a straw.

Thanks guys. I'm not a flavor/mix person. I've tried them all. I drink as much as I can and take a bottle with me all the time.

Room temp Water is not for me. It has to be very cool or cold.

I can't drink more than 3oz of any Fluid without taking a 10-15 min break or it comes back up. So a whole bottle of Powerade is still a dream for me. Maybe someday!

Straws were not so great an experience for me. It left a tight feeling in my stomach. But that might have been in my head after all the warnings.

I'm worried about the same thing. Right now I can consume the entire 64 ounces from my camel back while doing a 7 mile walk.

Skin is just one of many indicators that you are dehydrated. All your other symptoms fit dehydration.

Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with going in for IV fluids if you feel dehydrated, and it will make you feel much better. On the fast mode it only takes a few minutes to get a bag of the good stuff in your body. Ask your surgeon where to go (usually ER, urgent care, or sometimes the clinic). Bonus: when you go in they will also test your electrolyte levels.

Please please please do not try drinking from a straw, especially this soon after surgery. The gas and pressure from doing so can be intensely painful and make things worse. Speaking from experience.

I can relate to the feeling of Water feeling like a marble hitting your sleeve. It does take time to feel comfortable getting in your liquids. Press on, keep trying different temperatures as others have mentioned.

I think the straw experience if different for everyone. I was using a straw 1 month out. I drive 2 hours round trip to work. If I couldn't drink in the car I would really struggle with getting in my Fluid. Drinking without a straw at 50 MPH is just not happening. I would be wearing it.

When I first started drinking with a straw I would draw the Water into my mouth and hold it there for a second before swallowing. Sip, hold, swallow, sip, hold, swallow. I think that helped prevent getting too much air. A number of people on this board find that drinking from a straw helped their liquid consumption.

During my first few weeks post surgery I preferred Decaf and herbal hot/warm tea. More than room temp. I quickly went back to preferring cold drinks.

I went through a period where I would buy a gallon of the Chick-fil A diet lemonade and Water that down. It is made with Splenda. It has a few carbs from the lemons but not enough to be an issue.

Currently Mio is my go to flavor.

Hi All,

I was sleeved 4/13. I'm doing pretty well but I have started my workouts. Now I am pretty sure I am getting seriously dehydrated. I can't drink Water fast enough, the mixes in my Water make me gag. I was a big water drinker before (never drank at meals). Now I try to drink SF poweraide, water, slip in some milk and natural juice when I can but it's not enough. Especially when it's hot outside. I carry my water bottle with me, the issue is water feels like a marble when it hits my stomach. Drinking any slower will require me to quit everything and become a FT water sipper. (Haha) The last 2 days, I have had headaches that don't go away, tense muscle pains in my neck and shoulders, I'm nauseated, and mouth is dry. At what point do I worry and go see my doctor? I have never been dehydrated before so I am not sure how it progresses. Thanks everyone!

Like you; I have always been a big water drinker. If I worked-out, it was nothing to down 2-3 bottles immediately after. So the loss of water left me feeling panicked and really thirsty. I've found that a few popsicles help, and the urgent thirst is quenched until I can get more water in. Also, I went and bought pedialyte frozen popsicles because I was worried I wasn't getting enough fluids. It's given me a little more peace of mind. I hope your Doc says everything is ok :)

Doc update! He and my NUT say I am right on the edge of dehydration but have decided to have me do some blood work and a couple tests as well. I'm going in this AM. He felt more concerned with a deficiency somewhere else. NUT encouraged popcicles for working out and any fluids. Watermelon and cucumber were a good idea. Just until we get my Water consumption under control. Thank all!!

@@missykrissy79 I was going to suggest watermelon. I have been eating it like crazy and it has helped a bunch. I also drink coconut Water. It hydrates really fast. I'm going to the gym this week for the first time so I hope I stay hydrated. I'm going to take it easy at first and I plan to do some water aerobics until I get back into the swing of cardio. Good luck with everything and be well.