Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

So I got my drain out today! Yay!! It wasn't too bad but definitely felt uncomfortable as he was pulling it out. The OCC told me I was okay to leave tomorrow. So far, no real pain or issues... I'm more worried about getting my liquids in. How often did you all drink? Little sips every 5, 10, 15 minutes? Also, did you keep up with the medicine that they give you? I got an antibiotic in liquid form to take for the next 5 days, an antacid, a pain pill and an anti-nausea pill. I'm excited to go home and start having Protein Shakes and yogurt in a few days. It also hasn't really sunk in that I've had the surgery. It doesn't feel real yet. I guess when I go home and change the way I eat, it will feel real.

@@newbiesleever

Just try to carry something to drink with you and sip it as much as you can. I finished the antibiotics and I am still taking all the meds except the pain killer. I didn't need it and didn't feel like it was doing anything anyway. For me, it seems like liquids go through my stomach really fast, so I can drink a fair amount, just not huge gulps.  My surgery was exactly a week ago. I returned to work today without any problems. I am a little more tired in the evening, but surely not pulling in many calories yet.

So I got my drain out today! Yay!! It wasn't too bad but definitely felt uncomfortable as he was pulling it out. The OCC told me I was okay to leave tomorrow. So far, no real pain or issues... I'm more worried about getting my liquids in. How often did you all drink? Little sips every 5, 10, 15 minutes? Also, did you keep up with the medicine that they give you? I got an antibiotic in liquid form to take for the next 5 days, an antacid, a pain pill and an anti-nausea pill. I'm excited to go home and start having Protein Shakes and yogurt in a few days. It also hasn't really sunk in that I've had the surgery. It doesn't feel real yet. I guess when I go home and change the way I eat, it will feel real.

Congrats! I finished all of the Meds except the pain pills because I didn't really need those. I kept the extras to have on hand and in fact, took them for a back ache a couple months postop. I was never nauseous, but took the anti nausea pills anyways because the way they work is to increase GI contractions and decrease transit time. Makes eating/drinking easier because things aren't just sitting there. And definitely take the antacids for the full two months. I actually finished them, then weaned down to the 20mg OTC a strength for a couple weeks before stopping altogether. (As per Dr. So's advice). Only time will tell if you have any long term GERD issues. I still take Rolaids occasionally when I get a sour tummy or eat something a little irritating or drink too much coffee.

As for drinking, it's really hard to meet goals in the beginning. I was getting in about 30-40 oz that first week. It was the general consensus on the van ride back to San Diego that we would NEVER be able to drink 64oz in a day! But eventually you can. Just keep a water bottle with you at all times and sip as much as you can tolerate.

Edited by Kindle

It amazes me how I looked at 64oz of Water as an impossible requirement. Now at 3 months out I actually crave my water and get in way more then 64 ozs. I walk, walk, walk! My hubby purchased a belt that carries 3 water bottles. I am constantly refilling them each time I walk by a place that has a water fountain. Our bodies require lots of water. Listen to your body!

I took all of my meds (still on the antacid for three more weeks). I am a stickler for following instructions. Always have been a rule abider and a "goody two-shoes" or whatever. So I always do things by the book. I didn't experience any nausea past the first day post-op, but stayed on the anti-nausea pill until it ran out. Didn't know whether it was the reason I wasn't experiencing nausea in the first place, so I didn't want to take the chance! I take the antacid every day still and plan to just buy some Prilosec OTC when it runs out, in case I start having any issues with acid.

As for Water, just keep a water bottle with you at all times and take little sips all the time. They initially wanted us drinking 1 oz. every 15 minutes, which would have been one cup every two hours. Well, if you do the math, that means it would take 16 hours to get in 64 oz. and I don't know about anyone else, but I was not awake 16 hours a day in those early days! So drink drink drink what you can when you can. Marching in place really helped for me.

Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it!! :)

Thanks for this overview of your surgery/trip. I have my surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz this coming Monday and this calms some of the nerves. Odd question, though. My information packet from ALighterMe says to bring money for tips...does anyone know the appropriate amount?

Is Dr Elias Ortiz in Tijuana Mexico or Cidad Juarez Mexico? I ask because Cidad Juarez Mexico is closer to my home. Also does he do the sew over the staples to help prevent leakage? If he doesn't then I would choose him.

Hey. Does anyone knows if Ortiz foes the single incision?

How much does the traditional sleeve surgey cost?

Thanks

I don't recall single-incision being mentioned as an option on any of the questionnaires or in any of the info I received, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do it. You can always ask! As for cost, we aren't allowed to say. We all had to sign an agreement saying we wouldn't share our costs with anyone. But if you fill out the contact form on the OCC website, you will immediate receive an auto-reply with pricing info in it. Don't worry about giving them your email address. The won't spam you at all. You'll get the auto-reply and then a couple of emails later in the day from one of the patient coordinators with some PDFs about VSG and they won't contact you again until YOU contact them with any follow-up questions.

Here's the link to the form:

http://www.obesitycontrolcenter.com/contact/

I did not even fill out the questionnaire. Just asked Carolyn what the fee was for a sleeve with someone under 50 BMI. She came back with a price immediately. When I told her both my daughters were going together she suggestion they stay in same room and a discount would be applied. She was very easy to work with and answered every question I asked her. We are looking forward to the girls' surgery date in Dec!

I just booked my surgery with Dr. Ortiz for April 13, 2015!  I know it's a ways away, but I'm graduating from my RN program right before Christmas, and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to move back to Oregon, get my RN licensure, and find a job before the surgery.  But I'm really happy I booked it now, because at least I know going in to interviews exactly when I'll need to take some time off.

I had Dr. Ortiz on my list as possibles in case I am denied by my insurance here in Minnesota.  Glad to hear you had such a great experience.