Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Hope they both lose the required amount pre-op and they are not disqualified when they get to Mexico. I am wondering g if anyone has been turned away if they do not lose the required amount suggested by the NUT.

It's my biggest fear at this point.... Traveling all that way to be told I haven't lost enough... It's driving me literally crazy.... I feel like I'm starving and doing as much physical activity as I can... Oi...

In three weeks I will find out I guess...

Do what you can and try to be diligent the week before. I tried to do 2 weeks but it was my birthday and I gave in to temptation. It was worth it. One week before my surgery, I did my own version of the pre op diet. shake in the morning, snack was string cheese, lunch was deli meat or chipotle salad, dinner was eggs. No sugar and no carbs for me. I lost 9 pounds that week. I tried to do just shakes but I couldn't so I did a modified diet and it worked for me. I would suggest following exactly but if you do a somewhat modified version, you will still lose weight. I started at a lower weight so I'm not sure how much they told you to lose but I was told to lose 13. I also put my starting weight a little higher than what it actually was (I know I know, not a good idea to lie) but it worked for me. If you lose some weight, I'm sure you will be fine. I met someone who was being sleeved the same day as me and said she didn't follow the pre op diet at all and she got the surgery! Although, I wouldn't advise that :)

Edited by newbiesleever

From what I've read it seems the preop diet also helps with reducing gas pain, not sure about the accuracy, just a few sleevers opinions.

Edited by emmuje875

They want me to lose almost 50lbs before surgery. I was honest with them about my starting weight and praying I will make the deadline..

Right now I'm doing well on three shakes, vegetable Soup (broth and all green vegetables) and the Vitaleph supplements...

I refuse to use the Vitaleph shakes...

(Maybe I should have misrepresented my starting weight too, I don't know)

I didn't buy the Vitaleph. Without being able to taste test it first, I wasn't going to invest that much money. I found comparable Vitamins here at a local Vitamin shop.

If you are looking for a good Protein Shake, I'd recommend trying Premier Protein (Costco and Walmart have them). I really like the chocolate flavor. They come in vanilla and strawberry, too, but those flavors are too sweet for me. The ready-made shakes are the only way I can go, otherwise I don't drink them.

So far the shakes during the day and greens for dinner method has been working for me with strategic use of low-sodium broth to curb any cravings. And lots and lots of Water to stave off the hunger pangs and flush out the fat.

I lost 5 lbs last week, so it seems to be working all right.

I had a range they wanted me to lose in. The range equated to 5-10% of my starting weight. The low end was 13 pounds and the upper end was 27. I lost over 13, but nowhere near 27. When you get close to your surgery date, the NUT will email asking for an update on your weight. Be honest with her then.

I had a range they wanted me to lose in. The range equated to 5-10% of my starting weight. The low end was 13 pounds and the upper end was 27. I lost over 13, but nowhere near 27. When you get close to your surgery date, the NUT will email asking for an update on your weight. Be honest with her then.

Jamie did you order the suggested Protein and Vitamins? Any grief for those that did not?

Jamie did you order the suggested Protein and Vitamins? Any grief for those that did not?

I ordered the Multi-Vitamin and probiotoc, but not the shakes. I had emailed the nutritionist for specifications about what I should look for in a Protein Shake of my own and she gave this info:

Alternative protein shakes should meet the following criteria per serving:
Minimum of 20 grams of protein per serving
Less than 8 grams of carbs with less than 2 grams of sugar,and a minimum of 3 grams of Fiber
Less than 3 grams of fat
Less than 200 calories per serving, best at 150
Whey protein is preferable
Oh! She also said that I should mix protein powders with 4 oz. Water and 4 oz. unsweetened almond milk.

Edited by JamieLogical

I'm doing everything they suggested, even their recommended Vitaleph 3 week pre op kit. Which I have to add are the worst shakes I've ever tasted...

The vanilla looks and tastes like dirty water..,, complete with sand at the bottom... Yuck!!

The Vitaleph is a new brand but I expect it isn't too far from what they had last year. I hated it before surgery but after it ws better than anything else. The ready made ones were so sweet they made me sick. Your taste changes with the surgery.

We just got the Protein Shakes recommended by OCC today. Have not tried them yet. Both my daughters are very concerned that they will not lose the required pre-op weight. Funny but that was kinda why we did not do the surgery in the US. We did not want to go through the hoops and play the ins games. Kind of feel like we are jumping hoops and playing the NUT game. Hope they both lose the required amount pre-op and they are not disqualified when they get to Mexico. I am wondering g if anyone has been turned away if they do not lose the required amount suggested by the NUT. Also wonder if it is an issue if we don't purchase their recommended Protein products.

The reason for losing weight before the surgery is to shrink the liver which is in the way of reaching the stomach. I know they have refused to do the surgery for people who have not lost enough. They almost refused someone who had surgery the same day as me. He was the only one who had any trouble with the surgery. If your daughters drink the shakes and eat the salads they will lose.

The NUT also gave me a range between 13 - 26 lbs to lose pre-op. Equates to 5 - 10%.

She asked that I check in with her (via email) weekly to let her know how much I've lost. Her email also said to let her know of any problems with the diet or if I wasn't losing, so we could discuss it.

Edited by sprocket

Brand new to this forum...and I am not exactly sure how it works. I will be getting my sleeve on Halloween...which is sad since I have two small children and will miss the fun with them...but it was the only time I could manage with my work schedule. I will fly out the night before, have surgery Friday, then fly home Monday when I pass the leak test. Will return to work full time the next Thursday. Praying I am a quick healer. My job is largely in an office and not physically strenuous.

I began the pre-op diet a few weeks ago...because they gave me 23 lbs to lose before I arrive. I am down 16...and hoping to reach my goal. No issues on the diet other than hard finding time to fit in the exercise...story of my life:(

Anyone else in Mexico OCC at that time? Anyone else go there this month already? If so...how did you heal and any tips on what to bring or expect?

Thank you.

I have no issue with the losing weight part. Both girls are up for that challenge and know that this with help towards a successful surgery. I just am worried about the Protein Powder stuff they recommend. Some of that stuff can be nasty tasting. We prefer the premier shakes.< /p>