Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I have another question.. Lol... What does Dr. Ortiz use for the incisions? I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and the stitches were dissolvable but I heard Dr. Ortiz doesn't use stitches. Do you have a wait a certain amount of time in order to take a shower?

Only 6 more days!

Actually, as per my OR report I got from OCC, they close the skin with 5-0 monocryl sub dermal sutures and then dermabond. So there's no stitches to take out...they just dissolve on their own. And likejamie said, steri strip on the drain hole once pull its. I showered like normal (just tried to keep the drain bandage dry) the day after surgery.

Thank you everyone... I'm off to San Diego later today! I can't believe I'm having surgery tomorrow!

Edited by newbiesleever

Hi everyone! Well, I made it back home yesterday. I had my gastric sleeve last WED OCT 01. Everything went just fine. I don't think I could have had any better care and attention than I received at OCC. Relaxing at the Marriott TJ for a couple of days was just awesome. The surgery itself was not nearly as painful as I as expected. My abdomen was a little sore the first day only to lessen each day after. Four of us had our drain tubes pulled on the same day. The other three said it didn't bother them at all, but for me it did hurt a bit - but was over very quickly. Looking forward to some serious weight loss!

I'm so glad it went well VegasOne!!! I'm driving to San Diego in a couple hours... Getting more nervous and excited as the hours go by!

Hey everyone!! I have a question. First....congrats to everyone who recently had their surgery!!!

Ok, so in general, how much time did everyone take off from work? My surgery is in March but my employer is already asking how ling I'll be gone. I was thinking about just taking 2 weeks but I've read a lot of other people taking up to 6 or 8 weeks. I want to make sure I'm not jumping into work too soon after surgery. So any help is appreciated!!! :)

Hey everyone!! I have a question. First....congrats to everyone who recently had their surgery!!!

Ok, so in general, how much time did everyone take off from work? My surgery is in March but my employer is already asking how ling I'll be gone. I was thinking about just taking 2 weeks but I've read a lot of other people taking up to 6 or 8 weeks. I want to make sure I'm not jumping into work too soon after surgery. So any help is appreciated!!! :)

I had surgery on Sept. 1 and went back to work on Sept. 16. I ended up having to take a half day off the Thursday after I went back and a whole day off the following Wednesday. I was just sooooooo tired in those early days. Not sleepy tired, but fatigued. It seemed like a lot of work physically just to get ready for work in the morning. And any time I had to do a lot of walking around or any after-work activities, it just wore me out! However, once I was able to start eating purees and soft foods like cottage cheese and eggs, I was able to start consuming a reasonable amount of calories again and that really made all the difference.

I can't imagine anyone needing more than 2-3 weeks off if they have a desk job, unless they have complications. When I had OCC fill out my FMLA paperwork, they put down 15 days (that was their judgement, not mine), so if I had wanted to take off any more work than that, I would have had to have one of the doctors there or my PCP file additional paperwork.

I have a pretty physical job...bending, standing, squatting, lifting, holding, and driving all day. I went back after 7 days. That first week was a short week because of New Years, so that helped. Back to 40-50hour work weeks at 14 days out. I was a little fatigued but really had no problems....just made sure I brought plenty to drink since I was still on full liquids. I had a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks, but cheated a little by lifting a 60 pound dog after 18 days. No issues at all after the weight restrictions were lifted. In fact, had to pull double duty at 4 weeks because my partner had a hysterectomy with an 8 pound lifting restriction for 6 weeks!

2 weeks should be fine, especially if you have a desk job.

I'm officially sleeved! So far, so good!

Will write a longer update later :)

Hey All!

Just a quick update. I am 6 months post-op tomorrow! I'm extremely happy to report that I am down 100 POUNDS!!! I'm 5.5 pounds away from onderland and 23 ponds from the OCC's goal weight! I'm so extremely pleased with my decision and the results. I look and feel like an entirely different person!

My experience so far:

Since my mom and I are from Southern CA, we drove to the San Diego airport and parked there and went over to Terminal 1 where we were to meet the driver. We got there early like at 545 and the pickup time was 7. Our driver ended up being late so we were waiting 2 hours. Not a super big deal, was actually entertained by people watching. The driver picked us up and 2 other patients. When you cross through the Mexican border, since we are in a van, all of us had to get out and get our luggage, go through a building where they X-Ray our luggage and then hit a button, green means you're good and if it's red, then they'll search your bags. All of us were green. We left the building and waited for van to get the go ahead. This whole process didn't take too long, maybe 15 minutes.

Off to the Marriott to check in. It is a very nice hotel, lots of staff and felt secure. Our room was pretty decent but the beds were hard as rocks. I'm sure I won't mind the next couple nights cause I will probably be out of it but I got no sleep last night, just kept tossing and turning, either from the bed or the looming of the surgery.

Got picked up by the Marriott shuttle at 6:20 am to go the OCC, filled out paperwork, met with the nutritionist who was very informative. She weighed me, measured me, gave me my goal weight and went through the different phases of eating. Then met with cardiologist. Did good, was the first surgery patient of the day. Went to my room which is very nice and changed. The nurse gave me medicine, started my IV, met and talking with Dr. Martinez who is super nice! Off the OR! And Just like that I was out and waking up! The waking up part always sucks, cause you're thinking what's going on?! My mouth was super dry and I had a really bad taste in my mouth. I was coughing pretty bad so they put something over my nose and mouth to help.

I haven't been in pain, just sore. If anything my chest and throat hurt. Pretty much all day, I've just wanted to burp. I wish I could let out a big burp and I feel like I would feel better. Lol Got up to walk a couple times. Mostly, I'm just tired and I'm sure not sleeping last night has something to do with that.

So far the care has been great, I saw Dr. Ortiz briefly out of the corner of my eye when I was being taken back to my room. Said I did great. I didn't have my glasses on and I'm blind so I couldn't see him very well. lol

Everyone's post on this board helped my make decision to come here and I just want to say thank you for that! I hope my post encourages others to do the same. You don't need to worry about the Mexico thing, you're in great hands and meeting other patients and being with them, makes you feel more comfortable.

Hey All!

Just a quick update. I am 6 months post-op tomorrow! I'm extremely happy to report that I am down 100 POUNDS!!! I'm 5.5 pounds away from onderland and 23 ponds from the OCC's goal weight! I'm so extremely pleased with my decision and the results. I look and feel like an entirely different person!

So great to hear from someone a few months out and know you are doing so well. Thank you for posting! I think it's great encouragement for all of those that are behind you. Congratulations on losing 100 pounds already! That is completely amazing!

@@newbiesleever Glad to hear you are doing well. Hopefully all goes smoothly tomorrow with getting your drain out and that you aren't feeling too bad. Remember that drinking is a little easier if you march in place!

Today is my one year anniversary. I'm 65 lbs down. Add that to the 60 lbs I lost and kept off years before the surgery and I'm pretty happy with myself. Best thing I ever did.

Today is my one year anniversary. I'm 65 lbs down. Add that to the 60 lbs I lost and kept off years before the surgery and I'm pretty happy with myself. Best thing I ever did.

Congrats

My experience so far:

Since my mom and I are from Southern CA, we drove to the San Diego airport and parked there and went over to Terminal 1 where we were to meet the driver. We got there early like at 545 and the pickup time was 7. Our driver ended up being late so we were waiting 2 hours. Not a super big deal, was actually entertained by people watching. The driver picked us up and 2 other patients. When you cross through the Mexican border, since we are in a van, all of us had to get out and get our luggage, go through a building where they X-Ray our luggage and then hit a button, green means you're good and if it's red, then they'll search your bags. All of us were green. We left the building and waited for van to get the go ahead. This whole process didn't take too long, maybe 15 minutes.

Off to the Marriott to check in. It is a very nice hotel, lots of staff and felt secure. Our room was pretty decent but the beds were hard as rocks. I'm sure I won't mind the next couple nights cause I will probably be out of it but I got no sleep last night, just kept tossing and turning, either from the bed or the looming of the surgery.

Got picked up by the Marriott shuttle at 6:20 am to go the OCC, filled out paperwork, met with the nutritionist who was very informative. She weighed me, measured me, gave me my goal weight and went through the different phases of eating. Then met with cardiologist. Did good, was the first surgery patient of the day. Went to my room which is very nice and changed. The nurse gave me medicine, started my IV, met and talking with Dr. Martinez who is super nice! Off the OR! And Just like that I was out and waking up! The waking up part always sucks, cause you're thinking what's going on?! My mouth was super dry and I had a really bad taste in my mouth. I was coughing pretty bad so they put something over my nose and mouth to help.

I haven't been in pain, just sore. If anything my chest and throat hurt. Pretty much all day, I've just wanted to burp. I wish I could let out a big burp and I feel like I would feel better. Lol Got up to walk a couple times. Mostly, I'm just tired and I'm sure not sleeping last night has something to do with that.

So far the care has been great, I saw Dr. Ortiz briefly out of the corner of my eye when I was being taken back to my room. Said I did great. I didn't have my glasses on and I'm blind so I couldn't see him very well. lol

Everyone's post on this board helped my make decision to come here and I just want to say thank you for that! I hope my post encourages others to do the same. You don't need to worry about the Mexico thing, you're in great hands and meeting other patients and being with them, makes you feel more comfortable.

I am glad your surgery went well.  I definitely agree with you about this post.  And your account of everything makes me feel so much better about my decision to have surgery at the OCC.

Thinking of my sleeve friends whose year anniversary was yesterday, mine is today. I'm 95 lbs different than a year ago and I have no regrets! "Barb" and"Kindle" I hope you are well and think of you often!