Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So here's the truth, uncensored, successes, regrets, and over all feelings:

I'm still on the liquid phase post my sleeve. Where do I begin? My story may be different than most in that I just found out about the sleeve procedure about 5 weeks ago. Seriously. From the moment I found out about this procedure, I did research. I mean non-stop all night (literally until I had to shower for work in the morning with only 30 minutes of sleep).

Within 2 days of research, I decided this was what I was going to do. I looked into insurance financing and they told me I had to be on a physician approved diet for 6 months then submit it to them for possible approval. That wasn't going to happen. So I looked into self pay. I decided on a place overseas (btw- I live overseas) and the total was $17,000 not including flight, hotel, or transportation which would have pushed me past $25,000 easily. I booked it anyway. I asked the facility tons of questions but they were hesitant to respond (I assume I was too thorough for them) so that gave me pause. That's never good. Then I found this website and read read read. I passed by something that said Mexico and I was thinking, no way. Fast forward 5 days (4 weeks ago total), I changed my mind and booked it through a well researched documented reputable company. So before I continue let me tell you this, when I decide on something, I research at nauseam then go forward full speed ahead. That's exactly what I did. I proceeded to give my medical history, pay my deposit, and within 2 days I was scheduled with a date. So I booked the flight, reserved a hotel, and prepared for the best.

I was told to be on a prep diet for 10 days. Total fail. What can I say. It was completely on purpose as the first day was great then every day after was a I'll start off fresh tomorrow type of day. It never happened.

I flew to get the surgery done in Mexico. I was all by myself. There's only one other person which was my spouse (who knows me aside from the medical team and company of course that I'll never see again so that's ok) that knew what was going on. I booked at some cheap hotel because I was thinking hey, it's just for a night and booked the same hotel for the night before my flight.

I checked out of the hotel the day of my surgery, driver picked me up, drove me to Mexico, and the coordinator was at the door waiting. From then on it was easy street. Got all the tests done, IV in (only stuck me once...super rare), and prepped to go and actually get it done. They told me not to eat at all from midnight the night before on and I actually listened to that :-) . I was supposed to be #2 for surgery which would have been around 2 pm but another patient got sick so I got bumped to #3 which was actually around 7 pm. Hey doctors have to take a break and eat lunch too right?

On the way down at night to get the surgery done, everyone was asking me, "are you nervous?" I said, "should I be?" It made every one laugh. I guess people typically say that they are nervous but I truly wasn't until the 11th person asked me if I was. I was brought into the surgery room, then told to count to 10. I counted to 10 then laughed at the physician because I felt like I accomplished something truly special. Then about 2 seconds later, I woke up in the recovery room. Joke was on me.

PAIN!! Pain pain pain pain pain. Seriously. My chest felt like it was going to explode out of my skin. It hurt like nothing else I've ever felt in my life. All I wanted to do was sit up. Literally. Just sit up. But they refused to let me. I suppose they figured my guts were going to fall out. Then it began. What would plague me for a full day and a half. Vomiting. Over and over and over. I figured I would vomit as I always have after procedures but this was insane. Non stop vomiting. Every 10-15 minutes. Remember I didn't eat so it was nothing in my tummy. So what did I vomit? Blood. Lots of blood. All shades of red and pink. Various ounces. Gross at best. Of course before the sleeve vomiting blood was always a bad thing. Taboo even. So when I became the queen of bloody vomit, it was awfulness. Before I left the recovery room, I sat up. Flat out refused to have the exploding chest feel while I was vomiting blood. Wasn't going to happen. That was the only time I actually regretted having the procedure at all (knock on wood). So they figured I was in recovery long enough so they moved me back to my room.

The nurses were great. Never once got upset at all about my shooting bloody vomit spells everywhere, and were always kind, empathetic, and caring. Constantly. Plus there turn over was impeccable. I mean when ever I got a new nurse or new person, they got a full debrief of everything. My full case. Start to finish. Sometimes it was a little annoying like I just want to go, but then again, I've never seen such thoroughness during turnover of staff even when the shift hadn't changed.

When I got back in my room after I woke up from a much needed nap (honestly have no idea how long I was out), there were doctors all around me. Turns out they continued to do my vitals and my blood pressure was through the roof meaning over 200/145. Needlesstosay, everyone was scared. Really scared. They kept asking me how I felt, taking blood, giving me different meds, and so forth. I was fine. The pressure in my chest was going away, the bloody vomit continued of course, but otherwise I was fine. I suppose they didn't believe me as the testing continued and they wanted to ensure I was truly ok since the tests were different from what I stated. Eventually they gave me some combo medication that worked and all my vitals went back to normal.

Oh I forgot, the pee. I had to use the bathroom constantly. That's what happens with an IV from morning until... But they wouldn't let me get out of bed so the bed pan and nurses were my best friends.

So we have bloody vomit, bed pan, vitals, repeat. I did have #2 in the hospital and stayed 3 nights total. I got out of bed twice total. No walking what so ever. Also no gas pains.

Fast forward until the day of discharge. Got up, showered, dressed, and finally got to do my hair. The staff was in awe about how great I looked. I wonder how bad I looked in bed that whole time come to think of it. :-) I was able to walk very easily and drag my carry on suitcase. But the driver took it from me and brought it to the car instead. I hugged all of the staff, we didn't exchange information or anything, told them how amazing they were and how blessed I was to have them care for me. Then I was driven back to the border, stopped by the store to get some bouillon cubes, and put in my cheap hotel, last day.

Couldn't wait until morning. Got a shuttle to the airport and prepared for my 30 hour airplane journey back home. Checked in and walked the airport, carry on bag and all. I was tired. Sleepy and exhausted. My bouillon cubes disappeared, go figure, so I was stuck with nothing but Water and Powerade. That didn't help as the air sickness started to grab my neck so I at starburst candies. Yes, less than a week after surgery I was already eating junk. Couldn't help it and don't regret it. Saved me from starting the vomit story again.

Now I'm home and doing great. All of my incisions (5) have healed but the one that had the drain. I bought some scar removal stuff online and will use it to hopefully get rid of all 5 physical external memories of the surgery. I looked at the two X-rays (before and after) from my surgery. Took me a while to understand exactly what I was looking at. From what I remember in passing, the doctor said that he took 80% of my stomach away. I could be totally off about that though. So that little slither that I saw must be the new stomach that's left.

I've been able to get my Protein shakes in (1.5 a day) as I love chocolate. Always have. I drink both Atkins and Slim Fast high Protein Shakes. I'm drinking Water too but no where up to 64 ounces. I also "eat" miso and watery potato Soup that comes from powder. It's great and I don't feel deprived, tempted, or anything. I don't know when I'm full but I know I can't gulp because I'll spit it back out. Tried it three times (not on purpose) and failed each time. I chew gum, drink water, eat chewable Vitamins, drink Protein, and get some watery broth Soup in. I am alert, energetic, and feel like I'm queen of the world.

So what have I learned? Pre op diet is ideal, not mandatory. Recovery room sucks bad and hurts like hell. Vomiting blood once in a lifetime is not a death sentence. Constipation is not inevitable. Starbursts may be the best thing invented since electricity. Mexican hospitals are perfection and I couldn't have asked for better care. My family is the most supportive in history and my children accept answers the first time when they know I don't want to answer countless questions. Life is a journey and I'm going to enjoy every single second of it!

Thanks for reading. :-)

I think you've described wonderfully what your experience was. Congrats on being home and feeling so much better.

But with respect, not everyone experiences what you did. There are so many versions of our WLS experiences. For instance, I've never vomited a single time post-op. And I was in the hospital only a single night, and it was completely adequate to my needs.

But unlike you, I did have gas pains (as do most people) -- so congrats on that. And I definitely walked. And I did do the pre-op diet with no troubles at all (lost 8 pounds during that phase).

The best we can do is share our own experience. That way, newbies can see the range of others' experiences and be prepared for whichever version shows up on their plate.

Big congrats to you on making it to the losers' bench. Onward and downward. :)

I haven't vomited one time post surgery either. The only pain I had was right side pain when I woke up where I'm sure they cut and removed the partial stomach. Nothing that some good pain meds didn't take care of ;)

I would also advise against saying things like "Pre op diet is ideal, but not mandatory"....if your doctor recommends a pre op diet, there's a reason. I just don't want you to discourage anybody to not follow their own doctors orders. Slippery slope.

I always find the Mexico surgical experiences so interesting. Not only does it seem that most get top notch care, I think you guys that go are troopers for basically having to turn around and either fly or drive home after major surgery. I wouldn't want to do it!

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your weight loss!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I couldn't imagine going into this surgery only 5 weeks or so after hearing about it. It took me much longer to even consider it and once I made the decision had to wait due to some logistics problems. That time was invaluable for preparing myself for surgery.

I am so sorry you had such a difficult time in recovery. I am thankful that all I experienced was some minor gas pain.

Because of mobility issues, I had to be very careful traveling an hour away by car (had to plan stops along the way to walk). I couldn't fly either right before or right after surgery.

Thanks ladies. I know I should have followed the pre op diet but I didn't. Perhaps that was the reason for my blood pressure escapade, I'll never know. But I feel great and great nothing.

Onward to wonderful new experiences and mini victories!

:-)

I can only wonder if you had followed your pre op diet would you have had such a terrible recovery?

Edited by Tracan

Even if I followed it 100%, my story might be exactly the same. Will never know. The only part that was terrible was the recovery room which is common. Oh well, makes no difference. In hindsight, I would do exactly what I did and change nothing.

:)

Flip side, I'm down 11 lbs.

I had my surgery in Mexico as well. My family thought I was nuts, but the care and cleanliness was amazing.

I would do it all over again. I had to stay 2 night at hospital and 2 at hotel afterward. I felt prepared to travel on the day to come home.

@@FraggleRock Holy smokes! Your experience sounds pretty dreadful! I am so sorry you had to experience that! I am happy to see that horrible experience is behind you and you are doing well. Congrats on the pounds lost!!