Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Year Two Bandiversary!

Thanks for your story! I, too, am in the beginning of my third year of the band. I know what you mean about learning to outsmart the band sometimes. I take in a lot of liquids myself. They are always low cal and low fat and I do journal my calories, but I know that I really should be learning or already have learned to eat more of a variety of solid, healthy foods. I am not really looking to lose more weight. Five - ten more pounds would be great, but as long as I maintain I am very happy. I just want to tell you that you have done so great despite any setbacks. Please remember that you have really accomplished a lot!

Bawilliams1 - wow, congrats on your success and making goal!! Wow, I want to be in that "maintain" stage!! I'm *really* good at maintaining! That's actually true, the band works SO well for me at "maintaining". Oh well, I still have some work to do, right?

I also sometimes slip into too many liquid calories or mushies. Sometimes it's just easier, right? I recently got a bit of an unfill and now if I do liquids I get WAY too hungry. I *must* eat hard Proteins and veggies to stay full. It's a constant battle.....

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your wisdom and experience. We certainly can all relate to our common struggles.

I've read many of your posts over the last year or so. Congratulations on TWO successful years! This is such a journey of self-discovery! Thank you for your insightful reflection. You have caused me to also reflect on where I am in this process. There are so many issues that I have not yet faced.

Through several plateaus I have nearly given up hope. Luckily, this forum, and specifically my April bandsters' exercise group has kept my "head down" in working towards the final goal. I can attest to all of the benefits of exercise.

Although there are 20-30 pounds to drop to get to my personal goal, I am thankful every day to have this life. I feel free! Not only do I feel good, but the social benefits are tremendous. People are nicer to me. I am treated with more respect. Heads turn. Just today someone mentioned that I look younger every year. And I was also mistaken for Kate Winslet! A year ago, NO ONE noticed me. And I was thankful because I preferred to hide. Now life is an exciting adventure. Even tacking these last stubborn pounds will NOT get me down!

So, let's dig our heels in tomorrow and eat salad with chicken and have a great workout, okay??!

I think I will look into getting an eating disorder therapist. I'm nuts to think the insanity magically won't come back. Great posts (both of them). I wonder what next year's will bring.

Wow, can I relate. I am out about 2 years as well, and have not been a "good" bandster. My loss has been slow and not steady. I am down 50 in almost 2 years. But...without my band I surely would have been up at least 50 more plus another 50. I got a fill yesterday and today I am recommitted - again. If the band could go around my head I would be much better.

You know what I find the most hopeful about your post - that even with a year of not really being a model bandster you didn't gain weight.

WHen I was considering the surgery I can remember telling my husband that I would be satisfied if the only thing the Band did was help me to never gain another pound even if I never lost anything.

Congratulations on your two years!

Karen, thanks for such a wonderful, insightful post! There's not a single word in there I disagree with. You're an inspiration!

Karen,

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. I am in the mid stages of working towards getting my band and look forward to reaching a milestone of my own. Your story is very informative and realistic. THANKS again for being so open & honest about your struggles to get to where you are today. HAPPY BANDAVERSARY!!!!:)

Boo - Wow, comparison to Kate Winslet? Just, wow. You are foine! :) Thanks for the inspiration. And yeah, today, so far, eating is good. Been PMS'ing real bad and wanting sugar. I gotta get on top of that!

insubordination - yeah, if you've struggled with an ED in the past, definitely look into getting support now. It can really f*ck with your head, you know? Hang in there, PM or email me if you need back up!

nurse4126 - each day is another choice to take another step forward, you know? I agree, a band around that part of my brain that thinks sugar is the BEST would be nice. *sigh*

liberty2003 - 123 lbs down? YOU. ARE. MY. HERO. Wow. Huge congratulations on your amazing success!!!

Hazelbunny - I think that's the hugest thing about the band, what makes me want to keep this thing forever....even when I eat bad stuff, I can't eat anywhere NEAR the quantities that I could. It forces me to stop....THAT makes it all worth it.

Alexandra - THANK YOU for all your hard work here on the boards. I swear I almost started crying when I read about your recent troubles. I'd always looked to you as "the long term" bandster with all the answers. You still have all the answers and you get a new band too! How are things, by the way??

BadGirlinFL - thanks!!! I believe in being open about all this stuff. It's been such a blessing (and a curse) for me. It is important for us all to be open about what troubles us so we can better figure out how to fix it, you know?

Again, thanks for all the great words!! It's amazing!! Ya'll rock!!!!

Congratulations on 2 years, and thank you so much for your wonderful words of wisdome - a wise person learns from others mistakes, so I plan on learning from yours. Thank you for sharring! You will be a success, in my books, you already are!

That was a fabulous post. I am getting a band within the next two months and have a ton of questions. Mostly, I am concerned that I will not eat properly (since this is obviously a problem for me!) but your post made me feel hopeful because you sound like me! Congratulation on coming so far and thank you for sharing.

thanks for this....... I am just starting out and next week is fill #2..... I feel like a failure.. I had planned to be much further along by now, but alas I gained weight last week on my vacations and today I feared the scale and have not eaten anything yet.......

Your post really hit home... REALLY hit home

Everyone considering getting a band should read this post. I am 18 months out, lost 60lbs, had a baby and getting ready to have a surgery for my band this Friday due to complications. I will have to start the program all over again, liquids, mushy's, etc. I'm almost happy about that. I had every intention of not getting a fill after I had my baby and doing a diet. My body had other plans.

Just like I posted the night before my surgery, this is not a cake walk. But I had the option of taking this thing out, and decided it's still worth it.

Good luck to all of us!

karen you are an amazing woman.stay away from the cakes and icecream,they are the devil to bandsters.you have lost a lot and you diserve an applaud.happy baniversary to you.i look up to you now.i will read your thread all the time.thanks poochie.