Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Catheter or Not to Catheter?

Hi all! So, I am due for sleeving next Friday. At my final pre-op yesterday, the Physician's Assistant told me that they would be catheterizing me after I'm knocked out, and that they would take it out the next day. I guess I looked uncomfortable about that (no special reason - I've just never had it happen before) and she told me that it really was up to me whether or not to do it. She acknowledged that it can be uncomfortable, especially for men, but said it makes things easier so you don't need to be getting up to use the bathroom. So, I'm curious: thoughts on what to do? Did you get a urinary catheter? Did it interfere with efforts to walk the day of surgery? If you didn't get one, was it very hard to get up and use the bathroom when you needed to? I very much appreciate your thoughts!

-SP

I'm so happy you posted this! I am scheduled for surgery on June 1st & the only thing I'm worried about is the catheter! I really don't want it but they didn't give me a choice. The surgeon told me if that's my main concern, then I'll be fine. But still! ????

I had gastric bypass may 11th. They didn't cath me during the procedure

But they ended up having to straight cath me at 9 the same night because I just couldn't empty my bladder.

But, yah! :) it's up to you!

...But, yah! :) it's up to you!

Some advice. With friends like you, who needs "enemas". :)

I was cathed after I was knocked out. They took it out the next day...virtually painless. Starting to pee again I felt like a very old man...start/stop/start/stop...

I was stressing about being catheterized. Luckily my dr did not use one. I had to get up and pee a lot but honestly the gas pain in my back and shoulders was so bad I had to get up and move so having to use the bathroom didn't hurt me.

My dr cathed me but I begged for it to be taken out as soon as I woke up and they did. They want you to walk as much as possible after surgery anyway.

I was and I'm actually glad I was so out of it the first day it was nice to deal w everything else without the stress of having to call to get help to get up all the time since I had a Fluid iv

Like you, having a catheter really freaked me out. I was told that they always did it, but when it came down to it they ended up not! My recovery was very mild and i walked a lot in the hospital. i just had help getting in and out of bed, and took it very slowly.

I did have a hard time peeing after surgery. they were pumping me with liquid and i just did not have to pee. They were so worried that they brought in this machine to check my bladder...it turned out i wasn't peeing b/c there was like nothing in my bladder. i had peed everything out before surgery! After a few more hours i did finally pee and they were all very happy. :)

I think that as long as you are mobile before surgery you should have no problem using the bathroom after surgery, just take it easy and ask for help. You will want to be moving and going to the bathroom is a short journey that can help motivate you to keep moving when you see how easy it is. Good Luck!

My doctor required one in the operating room, but I requested it be taking out in PACU before I woke up. It was, and I felt fine. Don't stress about it, you will do great even if you have to get a catheter for a day. Good luck! :)

Hi all! So, I am due for sleeving next Friday. At my final pre-op yesterday, the Physician's Assistant told me that they would be catheterizing me after I'm knocked out, and that they would take it out the next day. I guess I looked uncomfortable about that (no special reason - I've just never had it happen before) and she told me that it really was up to me whether or not to do it. She acknowledged that it can be uncomfortable, especially for men, but said it makes things easier so you don't need to be getting up to use the bathroom. So, I'm curious: thoughts on what to do? Did you get a urinary catheter? Did it interfere with efforts to walk the day of surgery? If you didn't get one, was it very hard to get up and use the bathroom when you needed to? I very much appreciate your thoughts!

-SP

Typically catheters are place for two reasons intraoperatively. To deflate the bladder, or to mange the intake & output if your surgery has the possibility of being rather long. Since the stomach is higher than the bladder, it's typically placed for the latter reason... Oh and additionally it's dependent on age...health...comorbidities, ect. But if your young, healthy, ect... Talk to your surgeon (they all have their own preferences though), see if he'll agree to bypass the catheter if you promise to get up and pee right after surgery. They let me get away with it...however, if I couldn't pee, they were gonna cath me awake ????. It was hard to pee at first, all my organs were sleepy and I really hard to push it out (not recommended), but that was just my case. Best of luck! Hope that helps a little...? Take care. ????

-SP

My doctor does not use a catheter and I would have refused one if he did. One of the most important parts of recovery is getting up so having a catheter in so you don't have to get up is ludicrous. Also, for every invasive procedure there is a risk of complications. Some invasive procedures are essential--- such as the IV. However, a catheter is not.

I did not get a catheter for my VSG. They wanted us up walking ASAP, so the getting up to pee was encouraged. I was walking the halls within a few hours of surgery with no problem.

I was catheterized for my neck fusion surgery, however. And thank God. Getting up to do anything after that surgery was unthinkable because I was in so much pain. The catheter was not uncomfortable and I LOVED not having to get up to pee. I actually have a friend who is a nurse who catheterized herself every night during late term pregnancy so she could actually sleep through the night. Without it she would have to get up to pee every few hours. It's no big deal so I wouldn't fret about it one way or the other.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I very much appreciate them, and they are helping me to think this through.

They put mine in after I was out cold. They took it out the first thing the next morning and got me up to pee. The only thing I felt was when they pulled it out it - not so bad, over and done.