Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody older doing this?

I just turned 53 this week, and I had the sleeve when I was 50. Gotta say I feel much younger now than I did then, or even in my late 30s and throughout my 40s. Really, it's the fountain of youth ;)

I love reading all of these!! ???? I'm 56 and attending the informational seminar on Friday. Been worried that I was too old and have too much health stuff going on. Reading this thread has given me so much hope!!! Thanks to you all!!

I am 55 and my husband is 63. We are both just beginning the process. I don't have any health problems... yet. My husband has lots of aches and pains from being overweight but we're both fairly healthy so far.

I was 19 days shy of my 59th birthday when I had my RNY in December. I'm coming up on 6 months post-op and have lost 65% of my excess weight. This is one of the best decisions that I have ever made!

Every one has been so supportive. I am so glad I wrote! You all have been so kind. Thankfully I am not going to be alone through this. Thanks for your support.

And I am soooo looking forward to the summer!!!!!!!

I am 52 and re-tummyed on 5/6! I am only on BP meds but I was worried about diabetes and getting bigger because every year for about the last 7 or 8 I gained about ten pounds. I could lose about 15 or 20 and then my weight would bounce right back and then some -

I am 57but will be 58 by the time I actually have the surgery (probably in late September). My doctor always told me I could "do it on my own" which typically meant losing about 50# then, unfortunately, gaining back about 70! I am excited to start this journey--no matter how long it took me to finally get here.

I'm 62 and 4 weeks post op. Down 77#s but in a stall this week. Mine went super easy so far. My only regret was waiting so long to do it. The age old curse - lack of money and insurance didn't cover it. Best of luck to you!

I was 51 when sleeved in October & am down 94.5 lbs total, 84.5 lbs since surgery. Planning to do my 1st 5k this weekend ( walking mostly), but something I couldn't even consider 8 months ago! There's actually a group on here called "New to Fifties group" for those "older" ( even includes some in their 60s), but I feel younger now than before surgery.

Edited by SimplySue

You all are so encouraging and inspiring! Thank you for writing. I am glad that those that had the surgery are doing so well. I'm excited!

I'm 50 and will attend my first seminar in a week. I'm hoping that all will go smoothly with the approval process and I can have my surgery in early 2016. I'll be 51 then.

Best of luck to all of the pre-oppers! I had my surgery less than 2 weeks after my 55th birthday In November, 2014. The recovery was easy and the weight loss has been mostly steady. I do have some plateaus and then the scale will move again. Like most people reading this, I have gained and lost a lot of weight. I feel like this tool is giving me what I need to make this a permanent change.

I'm sooooooooo excited to find so many people around my age!!!!! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only "middle age" person on this forum. I'm 54 and I hope to be "sleeved" in October or November when insurance year begins! Good luck everybody!!! and please keep posting your progress!!!!

I am 48 and is that "older"? I did Lapband in my very early 30's and lost to goal easily, and everything looked great. Now at 48 nothing looks very firm or perky to begin with, so I hope the health benefits make up for it, LOL! I have been happy with my success so far. I am in the middle of menopause, had/have PCOS, Insulin resistant but no longer on Metformin since surgery. I feel like the weight loss deck became stacked against me. I have not had a moment of regret after the first week. I am losing slow, but losing. I lost erratically and slowly with the Crapband too, but lost to goal. I think it is possible to get to a healthy weight if the attitude and commitment are there!