Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Attention -- how to handle

I just got back to work today...about 12 days after the surgery. I know I have lost weight but I don't have any clue how much. I will find out tomorrow when I go back to the doctors office. Then, I guess I will go out and by a scale so I can check at least once a week.

Anyway, I didn't tell anyone exactly what I was doing when going out for surgery. I have never liked any kind of direct "spotlight on me" kind of attention and the surgery was very personal for me anyways.

Well, as soon as I come through the door this morning I was greeted by a coworker and their first comment was "You look like you have lost some weight!"

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a good thing, but the attention kills me.

I guess I better get ready for it though. Did you guys feel the same? Did you have any good things to say back in this situation?

I understand. Being overweight for over 30 years, it is hard to realized there is change. I have always made some excuse when someone complimented me. Now I just grin and say thank you. Still hard to acknowledge. I have to realized I should just feel proud.

It is strange. Even though I have managed to have a decent level of self confidence over the years, my weight has always been something that I have not liked about myself.

But then when I start to lose it, I get embarassed by the attention. The mind is a crazy thing.

When people say "you have lost weight"....I am going to say....."Yes, I have!"

When people ask "how much have you lost?" I am going to say..."I am down another dress size"

When people ask "how are you doing this?' I am going to say..."hard work!"

And if they get really persistent...I am going to ask them...."Why do you want to know?"

I am NOT ashamed of the surgery....I just want people to respect my privacy.

Or just smile and say, "I have, thank you!" and be done with it!

I completely understand. I think generally people trying to complement you. I floated the rumor at work that I was having hernia repair, and they had witnessed me on a restrictive diet for 10 months prior to surgery. A few people outside of work have really pushed on the why and what, and for those who are asking due to their own health, I've told them I'm working with the local hospital weight program, a dietitian and trainer. One friend was loudly pressing me in a bar for the exact number of pounds that I lost and I finally told her a metric shitload. Final answer. LOL!

I would suggesting doing what you are, finding some answers that you are comfortable with and having them handy to use. Because you will get some attention, and it does take some getting used to. Good luck! Remember to take it easy and sip your water; you are still healing.

I just got back to work today...about 12 days after the surgery. I know I have lost weight but I don't have any clue how much. I will find out tomorrow when I go back to the doctors office. Then, I guess I will go out and by a scale so I can check at least once a week.

Anyway, I didn't tell anyone exactly what I was doing when going out for surgery. I have never liked any kind of direct "spotlight on me" kind of attention and the surgery was very personal for me anyways.

Well, as soon as I come through the door this morning I was greeted by a coworker and their first comment was "You look like you have lost some weight!"

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a good thing, but the attention kills me.

I guess I better get ready for it though. Did you guys feel the same? Did you have any good things to say back in this situation?

Learn the art of redirection and subject changing. A simple "I guess" or "Thank you" and then move onto the next subject. Don't feel obligated to further discuss anything you aren't comfortable with.

Still don't understand how to get around this site ... Gone from band to sleeve!! Almost 4 weeks out and still no sense of fullness. At least with the band I would get stuck and know! But just don't know if I made a mistake with this sleeve.. It seems like your totally oN your own with this sleeve! I've lost 18 lbs since April 22 ( my surgery date) but I don't know... Everyone keeps talking about Nerves healing in the stomach- well the only nerves I know of are the nerves that constrict/reconstrict for food passage!! Think I made a mistake!

I only told 4 people in an office of 65 about my surgery and at first the attention was horrible. All the "wow, you look great " from people who never spoke to me before was hard. I was almost in tears, feeling like I was a horrible person before surgery. My boss told me to smile and say Thank you. So far it has worked. Now people are asking what I am doing to lose weight. My response is eat less, drink Water, drink water and exercise plus more of the drinking water. Which is all true. I bust my behind at the gym and truly eat a lot less. I had to get mind used to the compliments. It was very hard. Good luck to all!

Edited by TFails2