Surgery at 56?

141 posts in this topic

Hello dearest Queen. Lovely to see a post from you. You were my greatest inspiration when I was a newbie and I devoured your book with great gusto so that I could have a hint of what my weight loss journey could be like. It should be required reading for all the newly sleeved as it is just simple common sense from front cover to back. Oh yes, and humour, which always makes things that much more enjoyable.
I'm now in the maintaining camp having had my surgery 18 months ago at the age of 58. I reckon that the really hard work starts once the main bulk has left your frame and the maintenance has to become part of every day life. It's hard sometimes. Worth it though.
I walk 6-7 miles with my dogs every day, loving every step of it. I do two ballet classes every week with a teacher who taught me when I was a professional dancer. Although I take it a lot easier and don't have the ability (or the suppleness or strength) to get my legs up around my ears I can quite happily move my normal weight body around the moves. The thought of even trying to do that with all the pre-sleeve excess weight just doesn't bear thinking about! I couldn't have done it.
As far as I'm concerned, it's never too late to start an active life so bariatric surgery in later life is one of the most wonderful options open to those of us who wake up one day and find, to our horror, that all those random extra ounces that were slowly creeping onto our frames have turned into serious poundage!