Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye to beer and pizza?

Well... I'm trying not to have food funerals but it's hard. I think I may need to say goodbye to my friends, craft beer and pizza.

I hope it's not forever but I'm preparing myself if it is.

Is there beer and pizza on the flip side of wls?

I had pizza today! A whole slice (at nearly 2 yrs out)... But it was only the 2nd time in two years I've had it

I'm not a beer drinker.

@@BigDaddyJG I had pizza this past weekend.. I ate just the toppings... avoiding the carbs.. I did indulge myself with my favorite pre-surgery beverage... Fireball... just sip or two... you might be able to fool yourself that a nice Hefeweizen is a healthy alternative craft beef, that might have some nutritional merits...

Had a piece of pizza the other night ( pepperoni ), but I only have it occasionally. Can't stand beer and most alcohol, so Im no help there. Don't think of WLS as a food funeral, instead think of it as a funeral for your fat ! A couple of my favorite foods were General Tso's chicken with sweet and sour sauce, and broccoli salad. I can't get either one of those down since being banded, and while I miss them occasionally, I Don't miss the misery of being obese. You'll soon find out what you can and can't eat, but more importantly you'll find out what you CAN do . Good luck !!!

@@pink dahlia I love general tso's chicken... have you ever tried it with unbreaded chicken... I have... less carbs, less fat... and delicious... I can make 3-4 meals out of an order....

My surgery nurse said to me: The number one reason people regain weight or have slow weight loss is carbonated drinks such as soda and beer. The reason is that the gas produces a bigger stomach pouch. I recently ran into a person who even after 4 months post bypass, had completely stopped losing weight due to soda addiction...it is that effective at producing a bigger pouch. Even a few sips of bubbly can be bad. DARN! I will miss that beer, but honestly, I think it is over for good. Now, pizza, I don't have any major concerns about, as long as my Protein is high for the day, and the slice does not have a giant crust. due to my size, I have a larger than average pouch, and even me -- 1 cup maximum of food, and a cup of pizza would be ok if I had already eaten my Protein for the day. I am going to try pizza with cauliflower crust....heresy!

@@BigDaddyJG Check out @@Smye 's bariatric friendly pizza recipe. I made it this evening. Yummy. If you haven't already, check out his blog. Here's the link: http://barideliciousfood.blogspot.com

I'll try to add a picture of my results.

post-252346-0-18434900-1432010980_thumb.jpg

post-252346-0-71097000-1432011024_thumb.jpg

@@wascott, that looks great!

@@BigDaddyJG, absolutely not! It's just combination of moderation & content. Using the recipe that wascott posted, you can have pizza as soon as day 1 of phase 4 - though I'd give it a bit longer to make sure your stomach can handle all of the ingredients.

As for beer - hold off on that for a good long while. But if you like it flat, then, after checking with your NUT, go for it. Other drinks that won't have quite the same 'bomb' effect on your body might include homemade kombucha (again, gone flat) - it can taste shockingly like beer (not the storebought stuff) and is actually quite good for you.

I'm just over 3 weeks post-op and I found it funny how much I was craving pizza, especially in the first 2 weeks after surgery. I've never been a big sweet tooth and really struggled with the first couple of weeks as most easy fluids to get down are sweet. I so desperately wanted savory food. I was salivating while watching a pizza ad on TV. But now that I'm able to eat soft foods the cravings have settled down.

If you do end up craving a savory liquid in the early post-op days I found miso Soup to really hit the spot :)

I haven't tried any carbonated drinks yet. I have a friend who had her sleeve done just over a year ago and she says she still cant handle fizz. But everyone's different :)

good luck!

I absolutely second @minski and the miso Soup too!

I have pizza every once in a while. For me it has to be a thin cruse pizza with lots of delicious toppings. I can only eat 1 or 2 very small squares and I am full.

I don't make a habit out of it but it is possible.

I cannot speak to the beer thing as I have a 12 month alcohol free commitment and I am ok with that. Also I have not had a sip of a carbonated beverage for all the reasons others listed. When you work this hard you certainly don't want to self sabotage!

In terms of food funerals, I had several the week before I started my liquid diet. Spaghetti was my absolute favorite dish. It was the last thing I ate the day before my liquid diet. I have had a bite of spaghetti just to see how my new tummy would react. Honestly, I did not like it. It was hard to chew chew chew and I have purposely avoided it because it would be a trigger for me.

Good luck to you!

Message to my surgery I will not divorce pizza I will see it once a month for a slice.

I do both, sparingly. As far as carbonation goes, if it's heavily carbonated I just can't. Makes me very uncomfortable. So when I do beer I choose Guinness which is very lightly carbonated and put it in a glass if I can to let more of the bubbles escape and take it slowly.

It's always been about the food for most of us. Just wait till you realize that food is secondary compared to all you gain or get back in your life when the weight comes off. Just a short list below of my gains since losing all that weight. After you read it, you'll realize how unimportant eating pizza and drinking beer is.

Throw away the cane or overeat?

Walk without pain or overeat?

No diabetes or overeat?

No high blood pressure or overeat?

Minimal knee pain or overeat and get both knees replaced?

Wear pretty clothes or overeat?

Feel like a desirable woman again or overeat?

Swim laps for an hour or overeat?

Fit in a plane seat without a belt extender or overeat?

Fit in a restaurant booth or overeat?

Allow myself to be in photos again or overeat?

Not hear nasty things said about my size or overeat?

Not feel bad about myself or overeat?

Shall I go on? I think you get where I'm going with this, right?

Im 4 months out and down 95lbs, and have had both beer and pizza. Day to day I'm great on my diet, but I'll plan special nights out with friends and I just eat and drink a lot less. pizza wasn't worth it anymore. I had a half slice twice, but I'll skip it next time unless it's an amazing thin crust brick oven pizza. Beer I drink very slowly and both times had only about half a pint over an hour or mor of drinking. It was wonderful, especially because both times was my favorite local brewery IPA.

Warning, this is information I have learned, but some people say I'm wrong. Ask you doctor:

The carbonation issue seems to different depending on the surgery you had. If you have the band, don't drink carbonation. If you were sleeved, carbonation may hurt, especially if you have a lot, or drink quickly, but it will not expand the stomach over time because the portion of the stomach that was removed was the part that can be stretched out. The remaining portion was the part with significant muscle attached which does not allow it to stretch out over time. However, if you overeat, you can still reset the amount your brain considers to be too full, so you can still end up eating more than you should. But it's not from stretching that won't rebound.

I don't drink carbonation often. No soda which removes 99% of the things that have carbonation. But an occasional beer, slowly, is fine. But count those calories, count those carbs.

Edited by Eli Alexander