Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is a thread going called "Keep this post going :) things I look forward to not food related".

I love a good glass of Moscato and I love a good piece of cheesecake and jelly and poptarts and snickers. But when I have my surgery on June 15th I choose to give up those things. The thread I mentioned is a great read when you are tempted. It drives the point home what we have all deprived ourselves of being overweight. We chose fat and food over playing with our kids and crossing our legs and riding roller coasters. I choose roller coasters over fat.

There is a thread going called "Keep this post going :) things I look forward to not food related".

I love a good glass of Moscato and I love a good piece of cheesecake and jelly and poptarts and snickers. But when I have my surgery on June 15th I choose to give up those things. The thread I mentioned is a great read when you are tempted. It drives the point home what we have all deprived ourselves of being overweight. We chose fat and food over playing with our kids and crossing our legs and riding roller coasters. I choose roller coasters over fat.

So you don't believe in living a life of moderation ? You don't think that it's possible to be enjoy those things on occasion and still be successful post surgery ? Why not have both and just find a way to incorporate the things you love as an occasional treat and eat well and stay on plan the other 80% of the time?

Edited by Band07

I was never advised of a time limit by my doctor, however I felt I would wait a year, to make sure my pouch was healed well enough before I took my first sip of wine. I have heard of many gastric bypass patients giving up the food addiction for another addiction such as alcohol, drugs, gambling. If shopping is my only addiction, then I'm a happy girl :)

The booklet I received with post-op instructions say 30 days, that's it.

Here it is verbatim:

"Do not drink alcoholic beverages (beer, wine and liquor) for one month after surgery."

One year seems really extreme. I hardly ever drink so it won't be an issue for me either way.

Edited by wicked

"So you don't believe in living a life of moderation ? You don't think that it's possible to be enjoy those things on occasion and still be successful post surgery ? Why not have both and just find a way to incorporate the things you love as an occasional treat and eat well and stay on plan the other 80% of the time?"

Band07.... I am 51 years old and my bmi is 51%. So no I don't think that it's possible to enjoy those things from time to time.... At least for me. I have been overweight since I was about 16. I have been on and off diets and each time I fail it's because I would say "just one won't hurt." I'm not saying I will never in my life have a glass of wine. A few years down the road I am sure that I will. But this thread is about people who have consumed something that their doctors have clearly said not to or it would compromise their health or success or both. Let your body heal, lose the weight, get healthy, then have the occasional glass of wine.

Some of these posts want "proof" that it is harmful. Your doctor said it was. And I am sure if asked, the doctor can say why it is harmful.

I am going for my surgery on June 15th and I will follow my doctors orders 100% to the letter. Because I want to heal and my kids and grandkids and friends and family have all asked me to please be safe so that I can still be here for them as well as myself.

I was never advised not to drink alcohol, just to avoid beer and other carbonated beverages.< /p>