Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all, I'm from Brooklyn, NY and I'm 25.

I started out at 280, and had surgery 4/23/07. I've had two fills so far and am down to 252. I'm only 25, however I had no choice but to do it ASAP. My dad who's been overweight most of his life developed diabetes in his earely 30's and went on to have all kinds of medical problems including kidney failure and a kidney transplant. 3 years ago he was at wits end, at 256 lbs and started doing research on the band. Long story short, he had it done exactly 3 years before me and he lost all of his excess weight in about 8 - 9 months, and has been 168 - 173 lbs ever since. So for me, it was more of preventing all that. I also have a beautiful wife and baby girl, so it changes your perspective on things in general.

So far it's been going great, I fit back into many old pants and shirts I stopped wearing a while ago, and I'm now at the gym 3 times a week. I couldn't be happier.

OH, just wanted to add that I had the surgery done in NYU by Dr. Christine Ren.

Awesome! I was wondering what the experience has been like for you, as a guy. Do you feel like the weight is coming off at the pace you want? Did you tell your friends about it?

Well to tell you the truth, the weight has been coming off slower than I'd like it to, but at the same time, I'm not surprised every time I step on the scale. I've had two fills and still feel like I can eat too much. Sunday night, the Yankees were playing the Mets so I had some friends over. My wife prepared Hot Dogs for us. I was able to eat 3 of them without Buns. Before surgery, that would have been half a supper, but that's too much still! 3 dogs?! And hot dogs are very chewy! My point is, the weight is coming off nicely compared to how much I'm actually eating.

As for the second question, I personally told everyone (except my in laws). All my friends know about it, and they're very supportive. They're all slim though, so they don't care how I get myself healthy, just as long as I do get healthy that's what matters. The only friend that has given me crap about it, is a guy who has been dieting since I know him. The guy has amazing self control, but as soon as he's off his diet he'll gain weight. He was all like "what?! surgery?! you nuts?! Do it naturally!" Easy for him to say, because he's got willpower like crazy! Other than that though, everyone's been supportive.

/end ramble

I have friends that have said the same thing in the past, "Just stop eating as much". They also have incredible self-control. I'm not sure they understand how difficult it is.

Does the band reduce your hunger significantly? That is my problem. I have dieted and worked out and lost weight, but then the hunger hits and I can't stop myself. or I get discouraged because the weight is coming off so slowly.

Yes, absolutely. I'll give you an example. I used to eat two slice of pizza and fries, no problem. Sometimes even 3 slices. Two weeks ago I had a slice of pizza. I had to toast it and make it really crunchy, otherwise it would never go down. By the time I got to the end of the slice, dude, I was STUFFED! I couldn't even eat the crust. I'm eating less than half at every meal, and I'm not stopping to eat because I have self control, I'm stopping cuz I'm really full. I have zero self control, so trust me, the band is working! If you're on the fence about this, don't think twice! It really works!

hi fatboyslim i was just wondering since you said you had dr. ren

how the operation went and if you had any complications.

also how was the care at the hospital?

im having surgery on saturday and i guess it just really hit me now.

so im having a little anxiety about going in and having it done.. but

i know i have to =)

Hey LoveliBabi,

I personally had no complications at all. I'll to give you a quick walkthrough of my experience.

Before the surgery, everyone came to introduce themselves. The nurses the helpers and even the anesthesiologists (he was great, I asked him some weird question about something I had seen on Nip Tuck (don't ask) and he was very patient and answered everything). I was then taken to the OR laid down on the table and from all sides people started preparing me. Lift this leg, lift that leg, do this do that. It was kinda cool actually. Then the anesthesiologist came in, and said OK, now I'm going to give you the good stuff (those were his words).

The next thing I remember, is me sitting in bed, opening my eyes and the nurse asking me how much pain I'm in. I realized I was in recovery at that time.

For that day I did feel pain in my stomach but the staff at NYU were awesome. They gave me some great drugs and it worked like a charm. Then Dr. Ren came by later in the afternoon to tell me how the surgery went and answered some questions I had.

I went home the next morning, and went to work two days later with just minor discomfort.

Don't be nervous, seriosuly. Dr. Ren does approx. 7!! of these a day, and she's extremely good at what she does. Hope that helps! Ask me anything else, I'll try and answer.

Hey NY!!! I'm a fellow NY'er (from Westchester - Rye to be precise) living in San Francisco, I miss the east coast terribly, but I love SF, too...

Anyway, glad to see the band is working so well for you. I'm not banded yet, but I'm currently on a pre-op meal plan that my insurance/doctors office has me doing. Hopefully will be approved by July and then banded by September...??? We'll see!

I like how you put it - that you feel stuffed. I know the band is going to work for me (think positively, right?!), but I've been wondering what the "full" feeling is that everyone is talking about. I mean, I've been "full" before and have kept eating, which is why I'm in the predicament I'm in! But I've been "stuffed" before, too, and that is when I've stopped. So hearing you put it that way helps put it into prespective.

I realize I'm going to have to practice restraint and eat healthy, too... but I feel that the band will be the tool I need to help me with that.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!:clap2:

-Kim

It's not entirely the same stuffed you would feel before the band. It's hard to explain, but you really feel FULL and you don't have to hold yourself back from eating more. That's the key right there. You're full, you're satisfied, and you really don't have to restrain yourself. I know it's hard to fathom at this point, but look at people MUCH bigger than I was, who are skinny now. If it worked for them, it'll work for you.

Hi Fatboyslim first congratulations ! I just had a quick question for you on a typical day what and how much do you eat now that you have been banded? we went to our first conference last night got to meet the Doctor (Dr Avara South Mississippi surgical weight loss center) he was very nice but I did not think to ask him you mentioned pizza and hot dogs WOW I thought those days would be long gone thanks for your help Lanny

Hey Lanny,

Well first of all, when they say each person is different, they're NOT kidding. My dad and myself have had such different experiences it's unreal.

That being said, there are foods that can be eaten if done right. Meaning you can somewhat beat the system. The pizza I ate was toasted and so crunchy, it almost hardly resembled a fresh slice of pizza. As for the dog, same story. It was without a bun, and it was nice and crispy, I left it on the grill for long. I had to chew them both like crazy, and it went down with no problems. I got full MUCH quicker though, so everyone wins!

I do still think I can eat too much, and I'm not losing weight quickly enough. I'm going out of town next week, so I don't want to get another fill just yet, but as soon as I come back I'm going for another fill. We'll see if I can still eat the pizza and dogs then! I'll keep you posted.

Good luck on your journey!