Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, Can you guys tell me how long your Pre-op appointment took at NYU?

Hi NYGMEN - I was there for just over two hours, with much of the time spent waiting. First I went up to Fielding/Ren's office to take a nutritional quiz -- basically a few page paper test to make sure you "heard" what the nutritionist said when you met her. Since she was busy, I didn't review the test with her that day -- she called me later in the afternoon. Then, I headed down to pre-op. You see an anethesiologist -- not the one that you'll have surgery day -- who looks in your mouth and down your throat and then answers any questions you have. You then see a nurse who does an EKG, blood work and takes a medical history. Next it's on to the chest x-ray. If you've had a chest x-ray within six months, you don't have to have it done. Just bring copies of your films with you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck on your journay and congrats.

Kim

hey guys... havent checked in here in a while... just wanted to see how everyone is doing ~?~?

im good.... i have an appt next week to get the first fill.... i kinda dont want it anymore...lol but i did go down 24 lbs already in less then a month!?!? its pretty awesome .. althought ive been working out alottttt

how is everything with u kimnyc?!? whats the update??? im dying to know!

and fatboyslim.... uve been really quiet latley

<3 later guyssss

btw..... dose the fill hurt?~?~?

im pretty scared of needles.. so i bet this is going to be alot of fun :/

There you go--Fatboyslim...I feel you. I got banded March-28th. I am down to 235 from my high of 273. I am a former Brooklynite. I lived in the "Bed-Stuy"area and in the "Bushwick"area before I left many years ago for the Army. Most of my brothers and sisters still remain there. They are all big too.Two of my brothers are just about at deaths door. One has went over 400 and theother is slightly over 300. My brother who is soon to be 48 this month--said I was mean to him to ask him to think of losing weight. He feels that him tipping the scales at 400 plus--is no big deal (he has diabetes and hypertention). The brother who is going to 47 later this year and is over 300--again he takes the same attitude. (2 heart attacks, diabetes, arthiritis and gout). I am the oldest brother at age 50. I am told--I think I am special. Yes--I am special to my 2 little kids I am raising alone. I'm a Single Parent and they like me like this(losing weight). Kids have a way of telling the truth--always. So keep up the good work. It's essential you avoid the pit falls of this deadly desease. My Grand Dad died 15 days before my oldest son was born-11 years ago. My dad passed away August of 2000. Bith was from "Diabetes Complications". So you now know-what I am dealing with.....Peace

LoveliBabi21 - I'm happy to hear you are doing well and you must be so excited about the weight loss. I too am down about 24 lbs., however, I've somewhat plateaued the past week and a half. I assume it's because I am no longer on liquids and am actually eating food, and I've probably been a bit liberal with the definition of pureed/mushy food. On Thursday, I went out for my first happy hour since the surgery and that was difficult. I would try to find the "moist" nachos on the plate. At least they had hummus on the menu so I didn't feel completely out of place -- only a couple of people I was with knew I had the surgery. I also took my first business trip/airplan flight since the surgery and went to DC yesterday. The hardest part of the trip was a lunch time when we were deciding what to get and I had to tell people I could only eat soft food, so burritos and other stuff they wanted were out for me. Overall, the trip was really just proof that my life is completely what it was pre-surgery.

I can't believe you are getting a fill already. They made my appt. with Dr. Ren for August 2nd b/c that's just about six weeks since surgery. Did you want it sooner? I'm definitely excited for mine -- I feel like I'm eating too much -- but I'm nervous b/c I'm going on vacation four days after it. Gaspar told me it doesn't hurt, you just feel a pinch from the needle.

Are you going to the support group this coming Wednesday night (07/18)?

Kim

Hey--I'm shocked too. I had 2 fills--one was 1 cc and the nest on June 13th was .6 cc's....I am shocked too. I am waiting now to see if I will have any issues since I just hit 31 days today--July 14-2007. I have noticed that in the morning my appetie is almost zero.I have been warned to force myself to eat. Each time--I get a small hunger to eat more--but I still love my yogurt and Special K of honey oats. Each are 120 to 150 calories in 2% milk. I have never been able to like skim milk or as I say--skim Water. I have found myself at night with a small bit of hunger--I will get one my kids small bowls and eat some special K. I asked the Dietician and she said--great. As long as you don't start doing milk shakes and other Junk food. I feel proud that I can control the small urges and will not go into a binge state of mind...It's all in the way we think. I now have about 90% control. I have ate some chocolate Kisses--but never enough to go crazy over and gain weight. It settles my sweet urges quick--after eating 8 little kisses--I get a small feeling of sickness---no more I say--no more...

actually im going to have to cancel my appt and move it up a week so i guess ill be there around august also.. its been too crazy with work.. but they made the appt for the fill... to be honest ive been on normal food for a while and its fine.. i love it.. i can pretty much eat anything i want.. just need to chew it well the only diff iis that i control how much food i eat ..

i dont know about the support group tho.. no one other then my mom and my best friend know about the surgery... so im not sure im ready for the group yet. are u planning on attending all the meetings?

I'm usually not a joining/group type of person -- I'm actually shocked that I even post to this forum -- but I figure I'll go to the session this week, see how it is, and then decide if I will go on a monthly basis.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes on Wednesday. My appt is at 9:30 on the 2nd. I'm probably going to call today to also try to get one with the nutritionist that same day.

Hey FatBoySlim,

Congrats on your weight loss! I have a question... I am pre-band, I'm having my surgery at NYU as well. Was there any reason you chose Dr. Ren over Dr. Fielding or any other surgeon. Just curious....

Thanks!

Maria

Hey Mr. Brooklyn,

I'm also from NY by way of Queens. I will also be getting my band surgery at NYU. I would like to ask a few question if you don't mind. 1st how did you feel the 1st week after surgery? 2nd when is the best time to call the office to make and appt for the re-fills? Thanks.

thats an awesome idea.... im going to try to get an appt also :)

i figured i get the weekend to relax yet i can come in on friday if something is wrong ... :rolleyes: hey if i get an appt at around the same time we could finally meet or smthing

It's July 16th--I may need a new fill. I now feel I ate more to fill up and I will ask for a new apointment. I'll wait out the week and see how I feel...It's getting harder to fill myself--but I will see what happens,,,

Hey, just checking in with everyone here. I got my third fill last week, and now have a total of 7.5 cc's in a max of 11 cc band. I finally feel some good restriction, up till this point I kept feeling like I can still eat too much. I'm down to 245 which is a total of 35 lbs lost, so I can't complain at all.

Loveli, don't be scare of the fill, you really don't feel anything. It's really not a big deal at all. Go get a fill, you'll be happy you did. Before my first fill I was able to eat pretty much just like before surgery, so I really wanted it already. Also, go to Gaspar, he's the man, he'll take care of you. He'll give you an adjustment as much as you want, how you want it and when you want it. He himself has the band so he knows what's what. Good man.

Maria : I chose Dr Ren simply because my dad had it done with her. She was great to work with, but it's weird, I haven't seen her once since surgery. I always deal with Gaspar for fills. Either way though, whether you choose Fielding or Ren you can't go wrong. Many people chose one or the other based on their insurances, because I know there are some that she takes that he doesn't and vice versa.

Sunny : The first 3 days or so after surgery I was in a little bit of pain which Vicodin did a good job of dealing with :confused: By the 3rd day I was back at work. It's really cool. As for getting the fills, the first one will be scheduled for you when you go back 10 days after surgery for the esophogram. Beyond that, you can call anytime and schedule a fill with Gaspar. Like I said, he's the man and he's MUCH easier to get in with than the doctors. Also, like I Said, he has the band so he's the perfect man for the job.

Hope that answers everything. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for getting back to me. Your insite into the surgery and the office vist are very helpful. May be one day we'll bump into each other getting our fills. Also thanks for starting this topic. It really makes me feel like i'm not the only one in NY metro area getting this done. I wish you and all us much success in our new lives with the band.