Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angry and easily irritated

I am 10 weeks post op and have lost 40lbs and now steadily averaging a loss of 3lbs a week. I dont miss eating food and dont feel hungry. My social life has improved and i can now wear fashionable clothes BUT why do i lose my temper so quickly? I am easily irritated esp at the ones I love (my husband and mum esp) the tiniest thing upsets me and my anger is now starting to scare me i hate feeling like this- did anybody else experience this?

Yes. I was quite angry for a good while post op. It set in at about 2 months out and went on for several months until my kids came in one day and asked me why I was mad all the time. It took me a few days to figure out why I was mad and several more weeks to decide that it had to stop.

It's so hard to adjust after surgery of this kind. But you can do it! After a while I was ok again and living pretty happily. You'll work through it and carry on - I promise. Now that you've recognized the problem you can begin to correct it.

You are doing a great job - smile:)

Totally normal. Your body is healing. It's exhausted physically, and emotionally you are going through a boat load of changes very quickly.

Your hormones are on a roller coaster right now. If what I've read is true, there is a high correlation between fat storage and estrogen. As your body breaks down fat, your hormone levels are all whacked to hell and your reactions to everyday happenings are processed differently.

Apologize to your family. Start remembering to breathe before you react. Think before you answer. Give yourself a break and your family a hug. It will all be OK...

Everybody has said it well.

I didn't really go through that during weight loss phase, but I tell you something, after I got to goal, anxiety reared its ugly head. It has been quite a process to comprehend this but i have come to realize I have always had anxiety but through brute force and using food/obesity to numb my feelings, I buried it. It has been a learning process to "relearn" how to feel true emotions and cope with them.

My mom and sister both suffered from general anxiety disorder and were medicated for it. At some point, i got bad enough (this was post goal) that I was willing to be medicated but I couldn't tolerate the side effects of the drugs. So, I have had to learn alot and am so much better now. I still keep an eye out for it...

I feel that this understanding has helped me realize one of the reasons I always regained weight within about a week of getting to goal (in the past) because the minute I lost the "goal focus" there was room for this other unexplainable thing to creep in and take center stage. I am happy to say I am managing it pretty well these days but now I am over 2 years from reaching goal!

Sounds like hormones to me! Check with your GYN. It could be as simple as that!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches