Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the worst you've heard?

I was up in Colorado this spring with my brother who weighs a whole lot. He says he weighs 260 which I figure means 280 pounds. I was just shocked then a store clerk said some about my brother's weight, and not mine. I was trying to get my brother to get the band, but I spent the first few days throwing up every time I tried to eat. It finally went away, but I don't think he wants the band now. Bummer! The store clerk really pissed me off though even though he was young and callow. One of my colleagues who is thin is always making snide remarks about my other colleague's weight. I tell her to shut up since she's not perfect herself.

Yah! I am no longer being mistaken for being a decade younger either and this is quite a shock. :phanvan Good thing I am getting my face renovated/restored this fall. :) The downside is that it is gonna hurt a lot more than the band installation did. :omg:

This is terrible. My face looks awful, but folks guess that I'm about 45 when I'm 60. Maybe they are being nice, but I think some of them really think that. Rather than getting your face done, dye your hair. My hair is totally white, but I've been dying it for 20 years. Hair makes more of an impact than one's face. Take it from a wrinkled old poop.

I have been told that I look like a walrus.

That's what made me change my mind and go for a lapband. :biggrin1:

This is terrible. My face looks awful, but folks guess that I'm about 45 when I'm 60. Maybe they are being nice, but I think some of them really think that. Rather than getting your face done, dye your hair. My hair is totally white, but I've been dying it for 20 years. Hair makes more of an impact than one's face. Take it from a wrinkled old poop.

Oh, I already do dye my hair. Hence the face lift.......! The next frontier.

I've only been obese for the last 6 or 7 years and have stayed pretty much in my "bat cave" as my DH calls it. (my home office) In all honesty, I havent wanted to venture out into the cruel world.

But, I ran into an old high school friend last year at the grocery store. She immediately came up and hugged me...then looked at me up and down, THEN proceeded to take a quick inventory of the contents in my grocery cart. I think she was honestly flabbergasted and didnt know what to say.

She DID manage to say after a few moments "Awwwww, bless your heart sugah, c'mere and give me another hug". And...for those of you who can speak "southern"....you will know that she didnt intend to bless anything about me. It was horrible.

So.....i'm still in the bat cave for now.

Jacki

Jackie- Been there, felt that!! When we moved back to Texas, I called up a good friend from high school that I hadn't seen in 35 years. She too was flabbergasted and didn't hide it. Then she proceeded to insist that we go to her husband's office after lunch so her husband (who was also a good friend of mine in H.S.) could see me. I was in so much denial I thought she was just proud of his successful business.

Well, his mouth dropped open and he said, OMG! Like you've hardly changed! And then roared with laughter! It really, really stung. I realized that she was just wanting him to see how big I had gotten. I caught my breath and said, yeah you haven't changed either... To which he said, well I HAVE put on a few pounds around my middle.

I decided to retreat into my own bat cave and was there until the LB. Now if I could just get the rest of this lard off, I'd thumb my nose at those jerks.

Last week I was counseling my best friend on her dating drama's (I have been married since I was 20 so my advice might not be any good but anyway) and she was complaining that a guy she is seeing is also dating other people. She said "the girl he went out this weekend is even chubby, I mean come on what is he doing"? He went on a first date with a chubby girl!!!! She made it sound as if the overweight girl was worthless!

I got so mad but waited to say anything because I knew it would have gotten too ugly so the next day I told her how shallow she is. I was so upset that she would actually say that to my face, like she is a better person than me or that other girl because she is thin!!! I forgot to mention she is a size 0 and could actually use a few pounds to look better, that is not just my opinion, everyone asks me since I am her best friend if she is sick and then they follow it by saying a couple of pounds would make her look better. So this is not me being bitter, although I am!!!

I felt better after the confrontation and she admitted she was wrong and she was just trying to make herself feel better but I told her it spoke volumes about her character!!!

I used to work at Walgreens and we'd have items up front to push and try to sell to customers. One month it was the Snickers with almonds, so this lady who was as skinny as could be and you could tell she had money. She was a frequent customer and I'd seen her there many times, but never came up to me.

Anyway, she came up to me and she asked about the bars, if we made a lot of money off of those. I said yes and that they tasted really good. She looked down at them, back up at me, looked me up and down and said, "I can tell." She said it without any hint of guilt in her voice. I just kind of stood there, in disbelief and finished with her, then had a girl come up to cover me while I had tears forming. It was one of the rudest things I have ever had to deal with..

Our mananger told her to never come back again into our store.

The one that I hate is "you have such a pretty face" if you would only..... If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I'd be rich.

:faint:

I've always taught my children:

"SMALL" people belittle others to make themselves feel bigger.

And I also tell them,

"The only thing you can REALLY do about people like that is DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!"

Here are a few of my own experiences:

Walking into the mall one hot summer day, I noticed a gaggle of teen girls -- obviously waiting for a mom in a minivan to collect them. I was vaguely aware they were singing, but my mind was on returning an item.

A few minutes later, errand complete, I walk past them again and no longer distracted it dawned on me they were singing the Jenny Craig jingle. I glanced around and YEP -- I was the only person in the parking lot, so the seranade was just for ME.

I got in my car and drove off, shaking my head and such youthful arrongance and seriously praying for forgiveness if I was EVER hateful to anyone over their weight back in the day when I was then. About then it hit me what I needed to do.

I pulled U-ey and went back into the parking lot. Unfortunately, their ride had come and they were gone. But I was planning to hop out, grab the obvious ring-leafer by the collar and say, "You know, you'd better be careful what you say or do, because you just might be looking at your future, cause I know I was no where NEAR as fat as you when "I" was 15!"

Prolly a good thing they were gone, I would've likely ended up in jail!

Ah, there are more!!

Complimented a lovely, elegant older woman at my church one day: "I just love that suit you're wearing."

She sharply replied, "Thank you, lose some weight and I might let you borrow it."

Went to visit a new doctor because we'd just moved and I needed my Rx's transferred. The only thing bothering me that day was my feet and legs were slightly swollen from being on my feet for days moving in and unpacking.

This tiny, little man -- MAYBE 5 foot tall, 120 lbs: looks like he'd been on a hunger strike with Ghandi!!! -- walks in, pokes me in the leg and says, "So why you eat the butter and the gravy and the may-Oh-nnaise?"

Before I can pick my chin up off the floor and even begin to formulate a response he starts to rattle off a diet: "3 oz. white chicken, boiled or broiled, one cup of steamed broccoli, etc., etc."

Like I walked into his office that day NOT KNOWING I was fat!

After reading an article on thyroid issues, I asked another doctor about checking mine, he sighed, tossed me file on the counter and said, "Lady, every fat woman in America thinks she's got a thyroid problem."

Well, thank you for that reality check!!

Daughter got mad at her Daddy once -- we were on vacation and I was in a pair of shorts, he said, "You know, Honey, your legs are really great!"

She said it sounded like a condemnation of the REST of me. But it didn't bother me -- it's true, I am built like an orange with 4 pretzels sticking out.

Nana- Sounds like you have a very sweet daughter.

I see that you're scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. All the best to you for a uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!