Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the worst you've heard?

This past Easter my inlaw's had taken my 2 youngest children to an Easter egg hunt. My 4 year old was attacked by a dog and ended up in the ER. So my husband and I rush down there and after they were done stapling my son's head back together *ouch* the doctor was making small talk with me (trying to calm me down as the stapling kinda freaked me out) so he's asking about my children and their ages. Then he says "And wow, another one in the oven!" :faint: I looked down at my stomach and said "Uhhhh NO!" He felt stupid (as he should) and I felt like total crap. At the time I had been doing the Weight Watchers points system and had lost 20 lbs, was feeling really good about myself! But after that and another rude comment made by my Monster-in-law a few days later, I gave up on everything because I didn't feel I was ever going to be good enough ... for anybody. I stopped doing the WW, figured what the hell I'll only live once so I might as well live and eat "normally" and ended up gaining back 7 of the 20 lbs lost.

I really don't understand how people can be so STUPID. Think about what you say before you say it! Had I not received these insulting comments that hurt me so much who knows how much I could have lost by now. I didn't have the confidence in myself that I have now or else I would have kept on going. Being banded has given me SO MUCH confidence! Yeah I'm still a "big girl" and have a long way to get to my goal but I know I will succeed this time, and I could care less what anyone has to say about me now. :)

I just love it when I'm in a grocery store and some one (its usually a guy) looks at my stomach and lets me go first in line because they THINK I'm pregnant.

I figure wth.... I might as well take advantage of it ROFLM-FAT-AO.

*shrug*

BlooEyez: Good for you!!! You're no longer allowing creepy people influence your decisions about how you eat! You've put you in charge!! Congrats. Most of us really struggle with that.

ginger: what stupid idiots to say, "was it the knife and fork that did you in?" If they are referring to a person's weight, they should be smart enough to know that the knife and fork didn't do it, the food did.

Raven...I know what you mean. I've gotten that a lot too. I also know in my hert of hearts it is TRUE. What did I look like before? Well, I looked like a big slab of beef with lipstick. Pretty? Nope. Pathetic? Yep. As much as we try to push away those thoughts... sorry folks. We are pretty gross to look at at 150-200% of our optimum weight. It is a cold hard fact of life.

No matter how much we try to justify obesity and prove that it isn't unattractive, it is unattractive and that's why people discriminate against fat people. Fat in and of itself isn't pretty. It represents an unhealthy state of being and I'm willing to bet that most fat women don't find fat men all that tempting to jump in the sack with. Let's face it, we might find a fat guy less threatening and consequently attractive from that standpoint, but if we want to have a super-hot encounter, with all the bells and whistles (so to speak) we would undoubtedly prefer Brad Pitt to John candy. (If John Candy were alive, of course.) So why do some women try to fool themselves into thinking that being a Plus Sized Woman should be attractive to men? Of course lots of fat women are pretty in spite of their obesity, but they are NOT pretty because they are large.

I think obesity is a very complicated issue though. I don't believe that for many people it is as simple as getting on a diet and exercising. For some people that definitely does the trick and they can fight their way out of the fat suit they've put on.

For others however, there are some very complicated physiological/biophysical and probably certain brain chemicals involved. If it were simple, we would all be able to adopt some behavior that "heals" us and allows us to get on with our lives. Fact is, the medical profession and pharmacuitical industry have found band-aides that work for some people but that do not work, long-term, for most of us.

I look forward to the day when enough research has been done to actually crack the code of the obesity downward spiral and when all people can lead lives of optimal health and happiness.

I don't think the point of this thread was to convince others that "fat is beautiful". I have not seen one post complaining that "plus size women should be attractive to men". I tought the point of this thread was to vent about how rude some people can be towards those of us who are over weight. I'm talking about unprovoked, mean and uncalled for comments. We know we are fat, no one is denying that. That is the reason why we have chosen to do something about it. I don't care how fat (or skinny) I am, I don't need people critisizing my lifestyle or how I look. If you don't have something nice to say, then shut the eff up! Keep it to yourself. It's hard enough having to live in our own skin without added ridicule.

Oh, and BJean. I hope you don't think I'm bashing you. I get what you are saying and you are right. I just get annoyed with people who are mean to us fatties :confused: :) :). We are human and don't deserve to be made fun of just because we aren't "society's norm". I hope I didn't offend you!

I've been overweight since I came into this world, so I have a million bajillion stories..That have to do with weight and height.. I was always big in every way.

I heard the "you're not fat, you're big boned' from my 'true' friends when I was a kid, I believed it too, because being fat didn't bother me till I hit about 17 and graduated high school.

But here's my biggest story, that sticks out, and karma helped me out.

There was me, and my 3 best friends. The kind you always went to the mall, slept at each other's houses, crushed on the same guys, etc.. this was in 7th grade.

We were inseperable.

Then one day.. OUT OF THE BLUE.. The 'leader' of the group, if you remember how those kind of things went? Gives me a note.

The note says, due to the way I don't take care of my body, they are emberassed to be friends with me, so unless I lose the weight they can't hang out with me anymore.

I still have that note, hidden in a book on my bookshelf. I never even showed my DH, because even though it was childish and so long ago, the hurt from that day was unreal.

I cried to my mom, who has been a beanpole her whole life and had to go through all my woes of being picked on.

So anyway.. the girl who wrote this note, is a friend of a friend of a friend, and so somehow I stumbled across her Myspace one day when I was bored.

She has ballooned up. She is outright fat.

And here I am, losing weight :confused:

My mom was talking about something in the Bible about 'Vengence is mine'.. hehe.. when I told her about how this girl is now fat (mom remembers the note), she said see! Although, I doubt that's what the Bible was talking about, it's still satisfying.

Someone I know is thinking about getting the band. One of our mutual friends knows me and knows I have had the band. I am losing very slowly and have only lost 18 pounds since March 2007. My friend was told not to get the band since it "obviously doesn't work". Ouch! That stung pretty bad since I know I am the only person they know who has actually had the band.

L!NDS@Y: I totally agree with you. The purpose of this thread was to tell about the worst things we've had to put up with from people. I had just read so much of it I finally had to spout off.

People can be completely heartless when it comes to how they treat fat people. And no one should be treated that way. Some people who have normal matabolisms and energy levels and do not have problems with insulin and all the other imbalances that many obese people suffer from have absolutely no idea what it is like to be fat and they have no idea how difficult it is for us to fight all the medical problems that make it extremely hard for us to be maintain a normal weight. They honestly think it is simple: they think that we are just lazy and have no self-control. No wonder they ridicule us.

That's why I am so anxious for the medical profession and pharmaceuticals to do the research. I also know it's going to take a very long time for it to happen. So, we just have to dig in our heels and put up a fight if we need to and try our darndest not to let those insensitive creeps get us down!

We're cool, you didn't offend me and I sure hope I didn't offend you!

lauraj23: Remember the Beatles song where they sing, "instant karma's gonna getcha"? Sounds like your friend of a friend of a friend has been hit with some serious karma of her own. Bless her heart. (That's what we say in Texas when we feel kinda sorry for someone, but not really.) :rolleyes

Laura---There is a saying; "What goes around, comes around". And believe it, because I have seen it time and time again. I wish you could run into your "friend" some day and causually say to her "What happened to you"!!!! I don't care what anyone says, revenge is so very sweet!!! Hang in there girl. You are doing good.

ive got one. when i was younger and 40 lbs thinner than i even am now, i was working in a resturant where at the end of your shift you could order off the menu. I as well as all the other waitstaff ordered our meal. Now everyone but me got their food and i waited 20 minutes to say anything, but i was very hungry after my 8 hr shift and finally asked my boss " isn't my food ready yet?" He replied with a lip curling " well it isn't like you are going to blow away in the wind or anything!!!!!!! Not to mention he made this comment in front of the entire staff. I was so embarrassed I didn't even wait around to eat. what a jerk!!!!!