Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve - NO REGRETS! LOL

Hey there ...so here's my story!

I have fought my weight since puberty. Growing up I was always overweight, but not obese. Obesity set in in my early 20's. By 25 I was about 260 lbs and hating the way I looked - so I looked into surgery. I had never had any kind of surgery at all before, so I was really nervous about it! After a lot of research, I decided to get the Lap Band done with Dr. Mark Watson at UTSW. He was great! I got the Band in November 2009 and lost about 60-70 lbs. The lowest I had gotten though was 175, but that was living, breathing, sleeping everything fitness and watching/counting every little thing that went in my mouth. My happy body weight stayed between 185 (single) and 195 (in a relationship). After 6 years, I'd kept off the weight, but hadn't seen any further progress. I was maintaining only halfway through my weightloss journey! No! I'd also starting having acid reflux and GERD issues again.

Dr. Watson only does Band (doesn't agree with the sleeve or bypass), so I decided to consult a coworker who had the sleeve done with Dr. Nick. She was a simliar size to me starting out and looks phenomenal! I met with Dr. Nick in the beginning of February - so nervous he would say I was too small for the sleeve. After listening to my history and taking a look, he said I'd be a great candidate for revisional surgery. YAY!!

Come to find out in all the preop tests - my endoscopy showed that my band was actually causing some ulceration in my stomach/esophagus, and my hiatal hernia was at it again. So I stayed on top of everything to get the surgery scheduled quick. I wanted the rest of my life to start SOON. I weighed about 195 when I first met with Dr. Nick, but I hossed out knowing what WLS would do for my eating habits LOL. I gained a few pounds. I lost about 10 with the preop diet, then since surgery on March 30th I've lost about 14 lbs. I'm a little bummed that it's not literally melting off of me like some people have happen, but I am so happy that it's working. Slowly but surely, right??

My goal weight is unknown. My dietician says 138, Dr. Nick says "ehhhh 140's but I'm not focused on the scale - I'm focused on your actual size (blah blah blah lol)" and my band doc said 155. I'm thinking I want to be in the 140's and a size 6 or so...but I haven't been that since since I don't know when. I guess we shall see!

As far as any complications go, I would say that I haven't had any real complications. I had a hematoma on my left side which hurt like the dickens, but faded after a few weeks. I also had a LOT of bruising, but that also faded. My lowest incision was being tricky with where my pants hit and has finally closed up in the past week. No infections, just a LOT of itching. I've been sticking with what my dietician suggests as far as food. I LOVE to cook, and my family loves my cooking, so I've been searching high and low for yummy recipes that I can alter for me or them. It's a fun challenge, I'd say.

If anyone has any suggestions on yummy recipes, I'm more than happy to have them! I'm also willing to share my "soft foods" recipes if people want them.

Thanks for having me here...I'm excited to get connected!

Congratulations,

So very happy for you :) .

I had the same experience as far as weight. When puberty hit--I was overweight but not morbidly obese. I joined the Army at the age of 21 and kept the weight off by smoking and drinking. Quit smoking, drinking and left the Army and the weight came on with a vengeance. Tried every diet, even took prescription drugs and nothing lasted long term. I almost had a lap band in 2009. Backed out and tried AGAIN to do it through calorie restriction and exercise. Didn't work long term--AGAIN. On December 11, 2013 I had the sleeve surgery. I am so VERY blessed that my appetite is nothing like it was before surgery. I hope to God it stays this way.

Even if you loose slowly the key point is you are losing the weight. Since you were so disciplined with the lap band--I'll bet you'll be very successful with the sleeve. Take it one day at a time.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Thank you so much, Kathleen! And you are right, I'm very glad that I'm losing!

Diets didn't work for me either - they worked for a bit then just...stopped. I'm happy to hear that you're still having a decreased appetite after over a year post-op! I worry about that a little bit! Good luck with your continued success!!

Have you found any great recipes that you found to be a good staple? (haha no pun intended)

I recently also just had my revision done I'm two weeks post Op.... Although I'm still healing the worse part has been the lower abdominal incisions... As You said itching and pants can be challenging... Ill stick to yoga pants for now... lol so far in very happy with what I've done no regrets.... Soft food recipes? !??... Yes please!!! Good luck w/ your journey :)

Your story sounds so much like mine. Was even born a big baby, and overweight as a child, but not obese until I got into college (which also happens to be when they finally tested me for hypothyroidism and reluctantly started to treat me for it). I was really active in high school - lettered in two sports - and as much as I walked in college, the cafeteria food did me no favors! Bad eating, a decrease in intense physical activity, the alcohol that frequently accompanies college days, and hypothyroidism led to a 50 lbs weight gain in less than two years.

I just had my endoscopy today, no abnormalities found, so I'm excited for my sleeve date of May 12. I, too, had some initial good results with the Band, but slowly gained back a bit over time and then it just seemed to be rejected by my body.

Edited by LuckOtheIrish

Had lots of issues and regained my weight and the reflux was horrible! Gad gastric bypass 4/6 and feeling pretty good. Down 31lbs so far. Just joined this group but glad to people that understand.

mindy79 I will definitely share! I'll have to get them together. Right now my family is in love with this Italian chicken bake and these buffalo chicken/egg bites. SO flavorful and delish!

Good luck to you, LuckOtheirish!!! I'm sure it'll go smoothly - and you will love it so much better compared to the band! Keep us posted!

theycallmeFree - 31 pounds is AWESOME! I'm slowly ticking down the pounds at 26 lbs right now. But that is 26 lbs GONE!!! WOOHOO! :)

On a random sidenote, how did my title change?? I spelled it "ragrets" on purpose, as I was quoting a movie! Boo!! LOL

Hi, I'm on day 3 pre-op diet & doing ok. My sleeve date is 21 May and I'm getting so nervous (almost to the point of talking myself out of it).

I would love to get hold of your soft foods recipes if that's ok? I think planning, prepping & freezing meals in advance will certainly help not being caught out & just winging it!

BTW was 'ragrets' from We're The Millers?

Hey there ...so here's my story!

I have fought my weight since puberty. Growing up I was always overweight, but not obese. Obesity set in in my early 20's. By 25 I was about 260 lbs and hating the way I looked - so I looked into surgery. I had never had any kind of surgery at all before, so I was really nervous about it! After a lot of research, I decided to get the Lap Band done with Dr. Mark Watson at UTSW. He was great! I got the Band in November 2009 and lost about 60-70 lbs. The lowest I had gotten though was 175, but that was living, breathing, sleeping everything fitness and watching/counting every little thing that went in my mouth. My happy body weight stayed between 185 (single) and 195 (in a relationship). After 6 years, I'd kept off the weight, but hadn't seen any further progress. I was maintaining only halfway through my weightloss journey! No! I'd also starting having acid reflux and GERD issues again.

Dr. Watson only does Band (doesn't agree with the sleeve or bypass), so I decided to consult a coworker who had the sleeve done with Dr. Nick. She was a simliar size to me starting out and looks phenomenal! I met with Dr. Nick in the beginning of February - so nervous he would say I was too small for the sleeve. After listening to my history and taking a look, he said I'd be a great candidate for revisional surgery. YAY!!

Come to find out in all the preop tests - my endoscopy showed that my band was actually causing some ulceration in my stomach/esophagus, and my hiatal hernia was at it again. So I stayed on top of everything to get the surgery scheduled quick. I wanted the rest of my life to start SOON. I weighed about 195 when I first met with Dr. Nick, but I hossed out knowing what WLS would do for my eating habits LOL. I gained a few pounds. I lost about 10 with the preop diet, then since surgery on March 30th I've lost about 14 lbs. I'm a little bummed that it's not literally melting off of me like some people have happen, but I am so happy that it's working. Slowly but surely, right??

My goal weight is unknown. My dietician says 138, Dr. Nick says "ehhhh 140's but I'm not focused on the scale - I'm focused on your actual size (blah blah blah lol)" and my band doc said 155. I'm thinking I want to be in the 140's and a size 6 or so...but I haven't been that since since I don't know when. I guess we shall see!

As far as any complications go, I would say that I haven't had any real complications. I had a hematoma on my left side which hurt like the dickens, but faded after a few weeks. I also had a LOT of bruising, but that also faded. My lowest incision was being tricky with where my pants hit and has finally closed up in the past week. No infections, just a LOT of itching. I've been sticking with what my dietician suggests as far as food. I LOVE to cook, and my family loves my cooking, so I've been searching high and low for yummy recipes that I can alter for me or them. It's a fun challenge, I'd say.

If anyone has any suggestions on yummy recipes, I'm more than happy to have them! I'm also willing to share my "soft foods" recipes if people want them.

Thanks for having me here...I'm excited to get connected!

Hi I am 5 days post op today and I too love to cook and find myself creating eatable liquid stuff

I bought the ninja thing and I'm using it for everything.

So far I have liquified avocado with cilantro, ricotta cheese olive oil and lime add Water for liquid consistency.

Tomato bisque: 1 tomato can, chopped onion, garlic, drizzle olive oil , I sauté garlic and onion in olive oil, tomatoes, added chicken broth, pinch of paprika and cayenne , salt & pepper a spoon of heavy cream and to the blender tasted like heaven

Tzatziki blended plain Chobani yogurt , with green house cucumber, dill, garlic Water for liquid consistency and salt it was fresh and yummy

Spanish gazpacho: blended seeded 3 fresh Roma tomatoes, 1 Clove of garlic, half seeded green house cucumber, 1/4 green bell pepper, olive oil drizzle, water and salt it was yum !

I also add to these mixes unflavored Protein powder so far so good!

I am a foodie all about the taste and texture, I'm giving up the texture for now and trying hard to not give up the flavors! Do you have any recipes that you can share?