Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you decide it is time to have VSG

1st time post.

Question: I would like to hear comments on how you decided that it was time to have the sleeve surgery.

I first started looking into surgery in March 2015. I had my first appointment on March 25, it was the introduction and free information seminar. They were able to tell me that my insurance would cover me if we had 3 weight loss evaluations and march 25 was my first one of three. Then we had to provide them with a 3year history of obesity, which my PCP provided. Then I had to jump thru hoops to get all the testing done and pass them. My 2 of 3 ( April 29) appointment will weigh in, psych evaluation, nutritionist and exercise supporter. Along with blood tests, etc. My 3rd of 3 appointments is on May ,19 and will be my 3rd weight loss evaluation. And my pre-op with the surgeon. Typically they schedule surgery 3 to 4 weeks after this appointment.

Am I getting nervous or is this too fast? I really hadn't been thinking about my weight for awhile because 7 years ago I almost died from pneumonia and contracted MRSA while hospitalized. I ended up with a poor immune system. And I was happy because I was alive and that I was getting better. Obviously I was eating a lot while I was happy and gained back 65 pounds. Plus my back problem flared up and the medications that I take for the nerve endings and the pain increased which caused weight gain. Partly because of the 65 lbs I gained. The only way I am comfortable is laying flat on my back in bed. I can't exercise because of my back. This has been a vicious cycle. So my husband and I discussed that maybe it was time to go to a free seminar. But March to June is just 3 months. Maybe I'm scared about my future eating restrictions. All our family activity's revolve around food. It will be so different. I know this is probably the only way for me to loose weight. Which will allow me time to meet my grandchildren, do activities with my grown children, travel with my husband in out retired years.

I decided I needed to do something when I reached my highest weight of 315 lbs and was diagnosed with PCOS and diabetes. I was diagnosed with diabetes the day before my father's funeral ( He died of diabetes complications at 54). My grandmother, my father's mother, had her leg amputated and died from diabetes complications at 56.

I decided at 36 that I wanted to outlive both of them and WLS was a tool that will help me do that.

I went to my seminar in October. Fortunately and ultimately unfortunately, my BMI is over 50 so I did not have to do the six month diet. I completed all of my classes/requirements in Janaury. Approved in February. Scheduled my surgery for April 28th in March. So six months total for me from Seminar to Surgery.

You can always push your surgery out some if you need more time to adjust. I choose a later date becuase of work.

My journey, unbeknownst to me, started with my knees in the summer of 2013. It had gotten to the point that every step was painful and I knew I had to do something so I decided to try the Synvisc injections. The injections worked! I was so happy I decided to maximize this by eating less and moving more. So I started walking and developed such excruciating foot pain I had to stop (turns out I had a bone spur on the side of my foot- ouch!). Then I joined a Water aerobics class- went great for several weeks and then I developed such severe leg cramps that I had to give it up. I did try to keep eating well but Portion Control was always a struggle.

Fast forward 1 year. I weighed myself and realized that I had gained and lost the same 15 pounds at least 3 times! And while my knees still felt good, I had made no progress towards improving my overall health. That was a turning point for me. I researched area centers starting in July of 2014, had my first doctor visit on July 28th and had surgery on November 19, 2014 - not quite 4 months after my initial visit.

For me, it was just the right amount of time to prepare. You can talk with the surgeons office and take more time if you need it.

This is just my opinion, but if you really believe you need the surgery, than don't wait too long- take control of the problem and get your life back.

Good Luck!

I think you are right to be "concerned"

I failed with the lapband before being sleeved and one of the issues of me not really understanding the full impact of the lifestyle change needed. I have been very successful with the sleeve and two reasons for that are I got excellent education and support AND I was so "over" food as anything more than food. food was for me like the bad boyfriend who had let me down just way too many times.... there is something about being in that "I am so over being obese and over eating" that gets you through rough times.

flipside, your health is clearly an issue and losing weight will help.

Remember, it is your body, your decision. Put on the brakes if you aren't ready - you get to decide IF and WHEN. I tossed and turned over this for over a year before deciding to remove the failed band and be sleeved. I was scared witless - but realized I was slowly dying and couldn't lose weight without it. I am so glad I did, but WLS is life changing and you need to really be aware and ready for the "long term"

Read some of my posts under my profile. I have written a lengthy article on that subject. I believe it starts out with the words "8 Weeks and counting". I wouldn't care to re-type the whole thing all over again, but if you can locate it, you might find some useful information.

Back in November 2009, my sister-in-law died of a pulmonary embolism at the age of 41. The theory is that her high weight and sedentary lifestyle led to the blood clot. Her death was the most devastating thing to every happen to my family and was a real wake-up call for me. I was 270 pounds at the time and I realized that I did NOT want to put my family through something like that again, so I resolved to lose weight. Throughout 2010 and 2011, I lost 90 pounds "on my own". I had plastic surgery in August of 2011 to remove my excess skin.

Then the weight started coming back on. The problem is, I thought my diet was over and once I had my plastics, I was "done". I gained about 40 pounds and realized I needed to do something, so then I lost over 20 pounds. Then I gained another 40 pounds. Then I lost 40 pounds. Then I gained.... you get the picture. Jump forward to this past summer. Fourth of July weekend, I was back up to 260 pounds! Only 10 pounds less than my heaviest weight. I knew I needed to do something and losing and regaining AGAIN wasn't going to cut it. I needed a permanent solution. So I began researching WLS and found out about VSG. I knew that was what I needed to do in order to maintain my loss this time around. So I scheduled surgery for Sept. 1 and now, I'm approaching 8 months post-op and I am 1 pound below the weight I was at when I had my plastics! Still hoping to lose another 25 pounds or so, but if I don't lose another pound and just manage to maintain my current weight, I'll be thrilled!

Here is why: I had a stroke and mine spine was collapsing under my weight. As soon as I lost that first thirty pounds, my joints and back felt better enough that I could exercise and move around the house more.

I started looking into having surgery when my PCP told me that I had a fatty liver and the only way to slow the progression of the damage it can cause was to lose 100 lbs. He felt that at my age, it would be too challenging and take too long to lose 100 lbs. (even though I had already been exercising daily and managing my portions, etc.). I also had diabetes and high blood pressure which he told me that after surgery, I should be able to come off those medications.

After that office visit, it took me a year to get to the point of deciding to have the surgery, and lots of reading and talking to co-workers who had already had either RNY or VSG. I kept thinking that I could lose the weight on my own, and that surgery wasn't the route for me, I didn't weigh enough to warrant taking such a huge step. Once I psychologically accepted that the surgery was just a tool to help me get healthier, and that I was not doing it for vanity's sake, I was ready to go. I'm glad I made the decision to have the surgery.

I don't know where you live or where you are going for all of your appointments, but the rapidity of all the appointments is very similar to what I went through once I committed to my decision. It wasn't unusual for me to have 3 appts. on the same day; fortunately, all in the same office, just different people. There were a lot of hoops to jump through. My insurance approved my surgery without me having to go through a medical weight loss program prior to surgery since I had at least two comorbidities that qualified me in addition to my BMI.

Having the volume restriction of the sleeve has been a huge help. Life with the sleeve still takes a lot of work, but the restriction has helped me to refocus on what foods are important and which ones I can let go. I have to work on not letting old, bad habits back into my life.

Edited by MrsSugarbabe

I'm 54, I weigh 280 pounds, I've been dieting since 1973, I've been pussyfooting around thinking about weight loss surgery for at least 10 years. In the past 10, I've gained 40 pounds. Menopause hit me hard, at least my joints. My feet hurt my back hurts, I hate taking the stairs up from the subway, I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without having to sit down. I never thought I would really go through with having weight-loss surgery, but for some reason, this time I'm going through with it. I love food, I love to eat, I am worried about that, not being able to turn to food for solace and comfort. But the plan is I'm going to use those six months after surgery to really get a hold of my emotions around food. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sorry I have waited this long, though. I really would've liked to of spent my 40s at a healthy weight.

My mom brought me to my first weight watchers meeting at 12 years old in Toronto, CA. I remember having a sleepover a few days after and eating carrot sticks while the other girls ate Cookies. I’ve lost 70-80lbs at least 3 or 4 times on weight watchers throughout my adult life. 3 years ago and about 60lbs lighter I had a massive panic attack which put me into constant anxiety for about a month straight. Couldn’t eat and didn’t want to leave the house. Once I conquered my anxiety (through treatment and therapy) I swore I would never beat myself up over eating so I didn’t.

Since then I’ve gained 70lbs. I’m a happy person and except for a few skin issues pretty much healthy but I’m back in my “fat cocoon”. A cocoon that although comforting and safe is keeping me from all the things I could do, I could be. There is a saying in Overeaters Anonymous that says: “I came for the vanity and stayed for the sanity”. I’d like to be sane when it comes to food. I’d like to be at a weight that allows me to do the things I’d like to do and not be obsessed with the next meal.

Oct 2014 found out my insurance would cover my surgery. Had to do 6 months supervised diet. Stressed myself for 6 months about not losing weight, if the ins would approve etc. Submitted my paperwork in March and was approved in 48hrs. I hugged my coworkers I was so excited. Surgery Date: 5/21/2015. The beginning of a new chapter!

Read some of my posts under my profile. I have written a lengthy article on that subject. I believe it starts out with the words "8 Weeks and counting". I wouldn't care to re-type the whole thing all over again, but if you can locate it, you might find some useful information.

You said it right here: I am free of all the emotional demons driving my appetite. Amen!.

I decided when I got tired of waiting for my yearly physical bloodwork to tell me I had developed diabetes. I do not want that for me and I want my girls to grow up with a healthier mom and attitude towards food than I had. Honestly I did it completely and selfishly for myself but my family reaps the benefits alongside me. Like a normal person, I had a bit of a freakout the night before surgery but I calmed myself. I did it my way for 46 years and it didn't work so I deferred to the experts. Haven't looked back since.

I am not very computer savvy. And I searched under your name and your 8 weeks and counting. But thank you for the thought.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/327438-About-8-weeks-and-counting-and-coping-very-well#entry3700138

I am not very computer savvy. And I searched under your name and your 8 weeks and counting. But thank you for the thought.