Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of STRETCHING Sleeve!

I don't take that long to eat but I do chew my food very carefully. Occasionally if I am distracted I might forget. But it only takes one swallow to realize my mistake! My capacity is still around 3-4 ounces of solid food (actually it's more like 3-3.5 depending on consistency). There are times when I feel full on less though. This is about where I was when I started back on solid foods and began measuring the weight of what I was eating. I am only 4 months out as of a few days ago though. The process of eating very slowly is still something I truly struggle with. I am not sure how important this is in the long term, but I constantly remind myself I need to do it. Putting it into practice is much more difficult.

Fatdiva I too have fears of not loosing enough weight. I walk, jog, spin, and treadmill everyday, sometimes 3 times a day. I always burn more calories than I take in which has never been more than 350 calories. I had my surgery Feb 20, 2015. From day one I have struggled to get my Protein in. I absolutely cannot stand the taste and I've tried many different types and in may different ways, (in food, as a shake, with crystal lite, yada yada yada). I just hate it. I pretty much hate most sweets now. The taste of sugar makes me spit all day, yuk. I see my doctor tomorrow because I'm at a lost as to what to eat or do. I eat so slow that Breakfast always runs into lunch. One, I've never been a Breakfast person; so, it is difficult to eat breakfast because I'm never hungry in the morning, for 49 years I've skipped breakfast. I pretty much can't stand another cup of yogurt. Now I'll have 1 Sargento Pepper Jack cheese stick and Water. I've always loved ice cold Water, wish I could drink it like I use to, but my stomach says no way, can't drink fast. Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I feel so confused right now and at a lost. Scared to death that I'm not even going to loose anymore weight. Further, how many calories should I be eating per day anyway. I can never get a straight answer out of the nutritionist.

confused

@@AELee

congrats on testing the waters

jumping in with your first post

unless your doc told you differently

2 months PO you might not have to drink Protein shakes any more

ask doc/NUT

before WLS you were probably eating many, many, many, many calories :angry:

now you are taking in so few calories, the weight WILL come off, it has to, really

your exercising sounds great

doing it so often too, good for you :)

for 49 years you didn't have/want breakfast

KNOCK IT OFF!!! - DEAL WITH IT :lol:

you need to have breakfast :)

gets your metabolism going

protein bars can be used for quick/easy breakfast (lunch, dinner or snack)

Quest Bars are terrific

20 gram of protein :)

there are "recipe" sites on the computer/boards

According to Egg Face is a great one

many suggestions/thoughts/recipes are given

tells how much Protein, carbs etc that the item has

that is great that you love Water so much

sorry you are unable to drink/gulp like you did pre-op :(

that time will/should happen eventually

for now, drink your Water slowly

put glass down, and drink again, glass down drink again and again and again....

you get the idea ;)

continue alllll day

slow and steady wins the race :)

do you have any problems eating chicken, fish, meat???

these foods are chocked full of protein

track your food on MFP (my fitness plan)

or any other site

keeping track of what you eat, drink, how much you exercise is wonderful

this is helpful

you might be doing better than you think

not being able/want to have stuff with sugar in it, is a good thing ;)

i was told a meal shouldn't last more than 1/2 an hour

even though you didn't eat much within 30-60 minutes

i would stop eating

eating, spreading food over too long of a period is "kind" of like grazing :blink:

definitely check/talk to your doc about this situation and he'll advise/help you

don't remember for sure, but at 2 months i "think" i was eating 600-800 calories a day :blink:

hold your NUT hostage for partial/guestimate answers to your questions ;)

as long as you continue to follow all the rules you will loose the weight

sounds like you are are on the right track :)

loosing 10+ lbs a month is average/good

54 lbs in 2 months is great

some of that loss might be pre-op, but you are still doing terrific

don't worry too much

it causes wrinkles :lol:

keep up the good job

kathy

@@Fatdiva14 oooops - sorry i hijacked your question

what was the question again?? -_-

@@kathy0529

never heard of Protein Cereal.< /strong>

@@kathy0529 @@Fatdiva14

try Kellogg's Special K Protein

10 gr protein

advertised on box it has 14 gr

(wish i understood how to take pic from box and post in this spot) :angry:

I'll buy you a Quest bar to the sweetie ;)

hint hint if anyone wants to teach me how to post pic/item??I

@@LipstickLady you look like a smart cookie ;)

then they specify on box

10 gr from cereal

4 from milk

120 calories

cereal isn't recommended that often :blink:

lots of carbs

this brand "only" has 19 gr carbs

it is a treat once in a while :)

enjoy :rolleyes:

kathy

Special K has 2 Protein cereals.

@@kathy0529

oooooops :wacko:

both of us are named Kathy ;)

but YOU Kathy were quicker on the draw with your answer :angry:

just read your earlier informative post about the yummy cereal :)

must have missed it before :huh:

10 whips with a wet noodle for me :angry:

(full of carbs :angry: :lol: )

take care smarty pants :D

kathy

Fatdiva I too have fears of not loosing enough weight. I walk, jog, spin, and treadmill everyday, sometimes 3 times a day. I always burn more calories than I take in which has never been more than 350 calories. I had my surgery Feb 20, 2015. From day one I have struggled to get my Protein in. I absolutely cannot stand the taste and I've tried many different types and in may different ways, (in food, as a shake, with crystal lite, yada yada yada). I just hate it. I pretty much hate most sweets now. The taste of sugar makes me spit all day, yuk. I see my doctor tomorrow because I'm at a lost as to what to eat or do. I eat so slow that Breakfast always runs into lunch. One, I've never been a breakfast person; so, it is difficult to eat breakfast because I'm never hungry in the morning, for 49 years I've skipped breakfast. I pretty much can't stand another cup of yogurt. Now I'll have 1 Sargento Pepper Jack cheese stick and Water. I've always loved ice cold Water, wish I could drink it like I use to, but my stomach says no way, can't drink fast. Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I feel so confused right now and at a lost. Scared to death that I'm not even going to loose anymore weight. Further, how many calories should I be eating per day anyway. I can never get a straight answer out of the nutritionist.

Wow! You are two full months out and only getting in 350 calories, plus you are working out??! That seems horrible! You really really should be getting more calories than that. Especially if you are exercising. At two months out you should be able to eat solids, right? I was allowed solids at 40 days. What meats have you tried and how have you handled them?

I get my Protein daily from Protein Bars, Protein shakes, cheese sticks, greek yogurt and meat. I have meat for lunch and dinner every day. How are you with eggs? That's another good source of protein that is usually pretty easy to stomach.

Jamie I've eaten minute pieces of chicken but it seems too heavy or coarse for my stomach right now. I tolerate tuna well and salmon if cooked properly. No steak or beef yet. I love eggs but scrambled still working on that soft scrammbled technique. It seems the moment I start to chew that gurgguling starts in my stomach and if I continue to eat I get the pain and then vomiting. I was told to try deli meats but I didn't do well at all. In fact they were the worst. I tied shrimp and did very well with them but who eat shrimp slow. LOL I also do good with cooked spinach. Any suggestions is appreciated.

If it can't stretch why do people have to get re sleeved? I'm just curious because I've read both that it can stretch but many say it can't???

If it can't stretch why do people have to get re sleeved? I'm just curious because I've read both that it can stretch but many say it can't???

I read a paper about re-sleeve procedures that explains more. It's a loooong but interesting paper.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16469218/

Edited by tomi71

@@AELee Do you like Egg Beaters? I eat them every morning and it's nice and easy to just pour it in the measuring cup, then cook them.

I had my surgery a month before you (Jan. 21st) and I get most of my Protein from a Premier Protein Drink a day - 30 g.

I just got a Protein Bar that has 20 g in it that I'm going to try. I won't have the bars every day, but it's nice to have when I'm out shopping, then to bring a cooler w/my Protein shake in it. I did try the Premier Protein bars, but didn't care for the taste. I have to get some Qwest bars to try, right now I have Think Thin to try, then a Nature Valley one, but it's only 10 g of Protein.< /p>

For dinner, I'm a very picky eater, I pretty much have 2 ounces of chicken or turkey w/a side of mashed potatoes or carrots.

Good Luck!!

I have no doubt my pre-sleeve stomach was very stretched out from years of overeating. So, it would only make sense newer sleeved stomach could stretch with abuse. That said, I eat 5 times a day. I don't graze. I don't cheat. But, I eat maybe 2 Oz. of meat OR 1 cup of Cottage cheese as examples of quantities I'll eat at a meal. I also take maybe 5 - 10 minutes max to eat. I chew everything up and don't rush but couldn't imagine taking an hour to eat. I do measure everything and when I'm done, I'm done. It's been working for me. Down 130 lbs. in just over 7 months. About 7 pounds from my college weight and goal. I know the way I do things may be different than others but it works for me.

Edited by cornhusker

Because it stretches :)

Whether it stretches (dilates) or not at end of day what matters is what goes into our mouths.

Because it stretches :)

A correctly done sleeve should not give much. It will "stretch" slightly with continuous abuse. At least according to the research I've done and the surgeons I've consulted.

We will have to agree to disagree. :D

Whether it stretches (dilates) or not at end of day what matters is what goes into our mouths.

Yes, I agree completely, however if It was just that easy, why would anyone have had surgery to begin with ? We obviously needed a tool and I can only speak for myself but when mine stretched out I had NO tool to help me at all.