Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Starting to graze at four week out.

I'm now four weeks out and eating soft foods. I'm still under 1,000 calories for the day because I track everything on My Fitness Pal but as I tolerate food more, I find myself struggling at night (my pre-surgery weak time). After working as a teacher then coming home to three kids ages 3-13, night time is the worse! I do really well with three meals, not drinking anything 30 minutes before and after and I only drink water! But darn it if 7:30, 8:00 rolls around and the grazing begins (very minimal right now, but I already foresee my weakness coming).

Edited by akreese02

Maybe try finding a hobby or focus on something you enjoy doing when the craving or grazing starts.. That's my plan.. Good luck ????

Why not just plan a healthy evening snack? Make a process of it so you can retrain your head and being prepared will stop you from grazing.

What a great idea!!!

I'm scared of this also, I would lay in bed and think about food until I actually got up and ate it! Guessing I need to try to keep a healthy option for when I do break down! My weakness was cereal...

All great ideas, above. I like to have something to keep my hands busy, then I don't think so much about food. If I start to think about it, then I can just go and pick up my crocheting or book or whatever and get my mind off of it. Just responding to this site helps! I also like to keep Tic-Tacs near me, so I can put ONE in my mouth, then I'm happy. ONE! Since my tummy is usually full at this point, I find the ONE does what I need it to.

I have been doing same thing... Getting the 9 pm munchies. But then I realize it has been 3 hrs since I ate, so I eat. Usually cheese stick. And I really try to think about it & ask myself is your stomach hungry or is your brain?

I too got up last night around 10 pm and wanted something to eat, I looked and could not find anything that I knew I could have and turned around and went back to bed.

All of these are great suggestions. Definitely add a preemptive snack. Definitely make a plan for what you will do with your self during those times to keep busy until bedtime.

Someone wise once said that failing to plan is like planning to fail :):P

sugar free Popsicles and no added sugar fudgesickles 40 calories no nutritional value but it satisfies the little sweet tooth and/or a need to eat something, sugar free Jello sugar free pudding are also great options. You can have a snack, jus thas to be a wise choice. I am 8 months out and met goal at 6 months. I am slowly adding some healthy Snacks. It doesn't make me feel deprived. So far so good. Good luck on your journey. You will find what works for you, everyone is different.

I'm scared, I feel like I'm eating too much and my pouch may be expanding. I've been under 1,000 calories, but I'm honestly hungry and my stomach talking to me. I can't feel up on Water b/c to much water makes me nauseous. I want to cry. I'm 21 days Post-op.

Any chance you need a strong (or stronger) antacid? For many of us right after surgery the stomach acids are pushing hard. And extra stomach acid feels like hunger to many of us.

It really helped me. Talk to your surgeon or PCP.

I'm scared, I feel like I'm eating too much and my pouch may be expanding. I've been under 1,000 calories, but I'm honestly hungry and my stomach talking to me. I can't feel up on Water b/c to much Water makes me nauseous. I want to cry. I'm 21 days Post-op.

I know how you feel! If I eat something bad or something that doesn't agree with me my stomach gets extremely loud!

Looking back I realize the bypass would have been better for me because I have to really re-learn self control with the sleeve. Self control I thought I had! Just take it one day at a time.

I have bad days where I graze and then bad water days where I barely get in a liter but I try to look at all of my good days and remember how creating many more good days wills help me get healthy.

Right now focus on creating good habits and keep in mind slip ups may happen. We are not perfect. It'll be okay.

I really sat down and took a look at my problem with food and why I felt like I have to compulsively eat/binge.

Its easier said than done but it takes practice.

Agree. Have a quality snack. Protein.< /p>

I'm scared, I feel like I'm eating too much and my pouch may be expanding. I've been under 1,000 calories, but I'm honestly hungry and my stomach talking to me. I can't feel up on Water b/c to much Water makes me nauseous. I want to cry. I'm 21 days Post-op.

I know how you feel! If I eat something bad or something that doesn't agree with me my stomach gets extremely loud!

Looking back I realize the bypass would have been better for me because I have to really re-learn self control with the sleeve. Self control I thought I had! Just take it one day at a time.

I have bad days where I graze and then bad water days where I barely get in a liter but I try to look at all of my good days and remember how creating many more good days wills help me get healthy.

Right now focus on creating good habits and keep in mind slip ups may happen. We are not perfect. It'll be okay.

I really sat down and took a look at my problem with food and why I felt like I have to compulsively eat/binge.

Its easier said than done but it takes practice.

@fitforlife123

Thank you for the reassurance that things will be fine. I had one buddy look at my myfitnesspal diary and she saw where I was eating too many simple carbs and suggested that could be why I'm hungry. So I'm going to include Protein with each meal and see how that goes for a few days. Wish me luck.

Thanks again the Pep Talk. :-)