Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1.5 Years Post-Op- What are you eating, how are you working out, and how do you feel?

I am currently 1 year and 7 months post-op and I am curious as to what others at this point were eating and what type of exercise you were doing. I am technically at goal weight, but my stretch goal was 119, which leaves me 10 more pounds to lose. I recently had my last plastics procedure so I have been limited in exercise for the last three weeks and the next three weeks to walking, however generally I run about 3 miles a day and I take boxing and jiu jitsu classes at night a few days a week. My eating is a lot less regimented and really varies a lot on a day to day basis mostly because my stomach hates food and what makes me barf one day, may not make me sick another day. I rarely eat sweets, I don't eat anything fried or cooked in butter, but I do tend to munch on things like Smart Puffs, Chex Mix, Flax Crackers, and other things that are fairly carby, but least likely to cause barfing.

I would like to drop the last 10 pounds and I would also ideally like to feel a little better. Most days I'm fine but there are days where I feel like I got hit by a truck for no apparent reason. I am curious to see what others who are this far out or further tend to eat during the day and if you notice a big difference in how you feel if you mix up your nutrition at all.

Thank-you!

I'm about the same amount of time out. I had a post-op appointment today. My surgeon and nutritionist were both thrilled with my weight loss, which was really great to hear!

I asked them what I should be eating at this point. The nutritionist told me 1200 calories per day is considered optimal for maintenance sleevers, and around 60g Protein per day, 25g of Fiber from vegetables, fruit (she wants me to have two fruit servings per day), and some whole grains like oatmeal, nuts, etc. She told me in terms of fat and carb content per-se, as long as I keep it in the 1200 calories per day, it shouldn't be a problem to maintain my weight.

As far as exercise, she told me 30 minutes per day of moderate to strenuous exercise four times per week was all we need.

Right now I'm eating pretty much whatever I want, but I always make sure to get my Protein in first and foremost.

Hope this helps!

@@LumpySpacePrincess

Thank-you! That is helpful to me. I haven't had a follow-up with my surgeon since I was three weeks out from surgery and I didn't have a nutritionist ( I was self-pay so they were more concerned with collecting the money, hacking out my stomach, and moving on, lol). For the most part I've been fine without either, but it is hugely helpful for me to see what your nutritionist suggested so I can gauge my own diet around that. Thank-you again!

I am almost 16 months out. I can eat 4-5 ozs per meal & I usually have 1 or 2, 2 oz Snacks. I don't count calories. I eat as low carb & high Protein as possible. My goal is 100 gr protein per day. I don't exercise nearly enough.

16 months out, 10 pounds below goal (for 7 months).

Maintaining with 1400-1600 calories (I don't count calories or track food, so this is a guess based on a few random spot checks)

Basically eating a regular balanced diet of Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I eat whenever I'm hungry (6-7 times/day) and only until satisfied, rarely till I'm full. I usually don't plan ahead, I just eat what looks good in the grocery store or whatever I'm in the mood for. Work days are 10-12 hours long (sometimes more) on the road with no lunch break, so I keep Protein Bars, mixed nuts and Jerky handy, but prefer to try and find real food, even if it's a hot dog, a banana, an apple, or the toppings off a personal pan pizza. But I Always eat a healthy dinner and Snacks when I'm home.

I still drink a protein smoothie everyday....24-32oz fluids and 30-40g protein. That leaves me free to not have to focus on protein at every meal/snack.

I also eat dessert, candy, Cookies, chips, cake, potatoes, rice (mmmm-sushi), and drink alcohol, but all in moderation and certainly not every day.

No exercise, but I have a physical job, strenuous ranch chores and active lifestyle.....skiing, hiking, kayaking, rafting, horseback riding, etc. with toned muscles and six pack to show it.

Just livin a "normal" skinny life.....and lovin it!

I am almost 17 months out. Have been at maintenance for about five months. I exercise a LOT, training for a marathon, running 20-30 miles a week and yoga 3-4 times a week.

Because of the exercise my doctor wants me to stay at 80g of Protein or more. And if I drop below about 1800 calories a day I keep losing, so it's a balancing act still because I can't eat much at a time.

So I do a number of mini meals a day. I eat about 70% "clean" and low carb/high Protein (don't worry about fat) and the other 30% is just "normal" as I say--I go ahead and have the cookie or the glass of wine or whatever.

I still almost never eat potatoes or bread. I don't eat rice at all because it upsets my stomach.

I still do a Protein shake daily, often I will make one with fruit and fage and Protein powder. I also usually have a Quest bar. Some days it's two Protein shakes or two Quest bars.

My other mini meals are protein and veggie or fruit centered.

Turkey meatballs w Tomato sauce

Greek yogert w fruit

Celery w Peanut Butter

Cucumbers w laughing cow cheese

meat & cheese roll ups

Scrambled eggs with veggies and salsa

Grilled chicken w roasted brussel sprouts and goat cheese

Salads with fruit and blue cheese

Beef Jerky

Shrimp cocktail

Apples w Peanut Butter or cheddar cheese

Oscar Meyer protein packs

Handful of nuts or spoonful of peanut butter

Tri tip or top sirloin w salsa and roasted veggies

Quesadilla on low carb tortilla

oatmeal w dried fruit and nuts

Grilled fish w mango salsa

I eat about 5-7 times a day.

Thank-you everyone! I didn't see any notifications posted about this thread for awhile and I just checked on it now. Appreciate all of your replies!

I'm eating 1,200 calories/day (on average) and still losing weight (4.4 pounds last month). I have 1 pound to goal. Whee!

My nutritionist, my exercise consultant and I think I can maintain my weight at 1,600 - 1,700 calories a day.

I'll ramp up my cals pretty slowly.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)