Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hesitate to even write this but instead of letting fear and anxiety take hold I thought I'd put it out there. I cannot be the only one who ever felt this way.

I am starting the process of WLS and have my first appt with my WL Clinic/Surgeon on 4/27/15. I want this surgery badly and will have it, however, I'm starting to freak out a little. Fears of the unknown and thoughts like "how will you handle not being able to eat?"

Being healthy and enjoying my life will be far greater than any food but even knowing this doesn't seem to calm that itch of anxiety that is creeping in. Suggestions? How did you calm these thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Becca

Hi and welcome @@bbecca!

I had some anxiety also. There are so many wonderful success stories on here to help you confirm your belief in WLS as a great choice.

I also love that you said "...Being healthy and enjoying my life..."

Because if you focus on health...all the great benefits of WLS will come to you. You'll still have to do your part by focusing on a healthy lifestyle, but the WLS is an incredible tool for helping you achieve long-term success.

Best of luck on your journey! Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's a wealth of great wisdom on here.

I was so scared!! Ive never felt any kind of worry like I had before my surgery. It will be 1 year May 5th. I can tell you I truthfully have had NO regrets. I too worried if I could handle life without my friend ,food. I am satisfied with the way I feel after I eat and I don't feel like Im missing anything. I hope this helps and all goes well with you.

Thank you both. I will keep reminding myself of why this is better than food and read successful stories when I start to freak. ????

This was my first surgery ever and I was completely freaked out. I read all the horror stories and I was sure for the first 2 weeks after surgery I had ruined my life. I was 100% miserable in the hospital and at home I felt like a zombie for those first two weeks. The only way to handle it is to take a deep breath, put on your big girl shoes, and march your butt into that surgical center. Being scared is completely normal, it's how you handle it that counts. :)

I am in the later phases of getting my approval and am terrified and excited. I've never ever had any surgery before so it's pretty scary overall. I go through all these food funerals (eating everything in sight because it's the last time). However I start realizing that it's not that I won't ever eat again it's just that I'll eat different. This mentality of binge eating and loving food is what has me here in the first place. Will I be able to eat 3 slices of pizza NO but maybe 1/2 a slice once in a while. Hey... I might not want that half a slice anymore because you realize you don't need it after being healthy. So my long winded point is that it's normal to be nervous, anxious, scared, excited, curious..... This is a life changing surgery but know that it will be for the better (Atleast for majority of folks here it is)

Good luck and take it all a step at a time. It's a lot of work but from what I've read worth it!

First off, congrats on opening up. It takes a lot of nerve. I personally found it freeing. 7 months ago, I would never have told anyone my weight. Today, I practically shout it from the roof tops and I am still morbidly obese. You know what has changed the most...my attitude. I found that when I opened up to people about it, I found so many other people that were also struggling. I found that I had a lot of support and that really helps to make everything else easier. Its hard to pass up the pizza and pepsi, but the compliments I get from people satisfy my so much more.

I think its important to get to the root cause of your initial weight problems. Why do you turn to food? Take a deep look at this and see the real reasons. It may even help to talk to a counselor about it. So many people struggle with food issues and don't know it. For me, it was a control issue and the fact that I grew up poor and couldn't have things, so as I earned my own money, I could spend it. I could justify spending it on food, because we had to eat. That problem continued into adulthood. When you figure out why you have a problem, it will be easier to move on.

Also, you need to really ask yourself why you want to have surgery. Why now? Be honest with yourself (and others if that will help you) and make sure you are ready to change your life.

Most insurance companies require a supervised diet program. Take that time to make sure you are well informed on all the aspects of your surgery. Also use that time to start changing your habits. Ween yourself off the fast foods and sugar now, so you don't go into a state of withdrawal or shock. Start exercising now. It will make everything easier for surgery.

I am not trying to sound harsh. I weighed 295 in September, possibly more before, but that was the first time I got on the scale in almost a year. On the morning of my surgery I weighed 263. Now at 23 days post-op I weigh 241. We all got overweight for a reason and we have to really be willing to change for surgery to work. I am here if you ever need to talk. You can do it.

Thank you both. I will keep reminding myself of why this is better than food and read successful stories when I start to freak. ????

I am one week out exactly and NO ONE told me the downside of this! I know it was my responsibility to research and I honestly thought I did all I could do, but maybe I only read what I wanted to read! I was not expecting at all to miss food.... I honestly thought once I had the surgery I would never be hungry again. Boy was I wrong.

The mental aspect of it, especially in the beginning, is tough. If you are like me and are a food addict, it will be hard, maybe the hardest thing ever.

But, with that being said, I know that I am going to make it, one day at a time and it will be so worth the mental anguish. You are one step ahead of the game because you are aware there will be a struggle with missing food. This site and all the wonderful success stories are the only way I've made it through this week. I keep looking ahead and I can see the prize and it's beautiful!

Don't psych yourself out, but, do realize mourning food for some is a real problem! I wish you the best of luck and it will be one of the best decisions you have ever made! It's so good to know that we are not alone, we have similar struggles and can help each other during the bad times! And I honestly believe in my heart that in having this surgery the good will definitely out weigh the bad!

If you didn't have fears I would be worried for you. it is normal to have fear. you are undertaking a big change in your life starting with surgery. but as I read your letter you are doing it for all the right reasons. the more you educate yourself the more sure you will become. continue reading all you can about the surgery you have chosen. wishing you luck on this adventure.

I just need to add that with time, all foods are tolerable in limited quantity. Yes, your eating habits will hopefully be forever changed, but with time, you will never need to feel deprived. Protein shakes are still my main source of Protein, but I can go out to dinner with my husband and always find something on the menu. I take a bite of his dessert and it satisfies that craving for sweets. I've had a small slice of pizza. I do not feel deprived at 5 months post op.

It is the best decision I've made for myself. I was always worried about kids, husband, work.......this was just for me and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to change my life.

I think that most if not all of us here can completely identify with your worries. It's hard for me to believe that I don't miss anything. I really can have whatever I want, just in small quantities at appropriate intervals. The weight loss is great but as others have mentioned it is the change in attitude that is so amazing. For me choosing weight loss surgery was choosing myself. And getting that appetite monster off of my back was the best decision ever. The constant gnawing thoughts of what can I have, what will I have next, etc. are gone. I am some one who benefitted from seeing a therapist for a while. I wanted a third party to go through the process with me. We worked on identifying my triggers and really breaking them down into very specific incidences. Prepping myself with food before a meeting or conference call, cruising for a little something as a form of procrastination, getting a bowl of ice cream to self-comfort then getting more because I knew I would be back to a strict diet soon......no more dieting. That didn't work for me. WLS has given me my life back.

Thank you all. The support here is amazing.

I know that I will need to work on the food attachments that I have. I didn't gain weight having a healthy relationship with food and know that I have to learn to not find comfort in food. I know I can do this and will be so grateful in the end. Being able to enjoy life and not avoid things because of my weight will be the biggest blessing ever. I only wish I'd been able to do this sooner but then again I don't know that I was mentally ready.

Again, thank you all. :blush:

Can I add another anxiety? I am pretty confident I wear my fat as armor. If I lose weight, what do I do about the comments from men? I've gotten them my whole life and I hate hate hate them. And I feel like I'll fail if I don't deal with that first.