Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please share your story with me from band to sleeve I'm in my pre op and very anxious

Hi, Im thrilled for finding this app, I did my Lapband 3 years ago it went great! Until 4 months ago I started having horrible reflux episodes while sleeping. About 6 events per night coughing terribly and I tried everything even sleeping in a seated position. So my Lapband had to be unfilled, my esophagus was swollen and dilated and dr does not recommend filling it again, in these months with my unfilled band I have gained 18 pounds. I'm still at this moment a low BMI patient but I'm going for the sleeve on May 5th. With Dr. Mark Pleatman in Michigan he is charging me $13200 I'm self pay, I feel so tempted in going to Mexico and pay half after reading great stories here but I don't think I can deal with such a huge change in my plans.

Has anyone had this experience? How is the sleeve on low BMI patients? I would appreciate to know about someone with similar experience

Hi and congratulations! I bet you find out the sleeve is nothing like that dang band! at least it wasn't for me. I had the band for 10 yrs and the most i lost was 40 lbs. It finally broke completely and I had the sleeve instead. Best decision ever! I've now lost 106 lbs and about 20 lbs from my goal. Good luck with it!!

I didn't have a band to sleeve revision, but I was low BMI at the time of surgery. My BMI was 36.1, but had been as high as 38. I had comorbidities that got Aetna to approve my surgery. I did have acid reflux before sleeve surgery and very bad reflux for the first 3 months after surgery. I was taking Nexium and Prilosec after surgery and had to sleep sitting up. I would wake up with coughing fits and my voice was actually beginning to change.

Finally around 3 months post-op, it began to get better. I still take one 20mg prilosec each day and I still get reflux if I eat to close to bedtime. When I stop eating after 7:30 pm, I have no reflux. And the coughing has stopped.

But I would have had the surgery even if I knew the reflux would be bad post-op. It was that important to me. I also found that Alka-Seltzer heartburn chews and Gas-X were my constant companion. I rarely need either anymore - I just had my 5 month anniversary on the 12th.

Thank you for sharing! I guess after the Lapband the sleeve might be easier I'm used to throwing up everywhere and food getting stuck in my band all the time so I'm scared for the sleeve but reading here I think it's not worse than the band, I did loose weight with the band but I also got to know the toilets of every restaurant around!

I had my band put in over 9 years ago. I lost 85lbs and then started getting really bad reflux. They took the Fluid out and I have yoyo dieted ever since. I finally decided to get the band out and get a sleeve. I hope this will finally be the tool I need to succeed. My surgery is scheduled for April 30.

After a 4 month battle with my insurance I am finally approved to get my revision. I had a lap band for 11 years and it has been the worse, I am currently due to get my revision to Gastric BY-pass in may... These responses have been encouraging for me to read

Thank you for sharing! I guess after the Lapband the sleeve might be easier I'm used to throwing up everywhere and food getting stuck in my band all the time so I'm scared for the sleeve but reading here I think it's not worse than the band, I did loose weight with the band but I also got to know the toilets of every restaurant around!

We live in a parallel universe! I haven't been in a restaurant in over a year because I hate that sudden need to run for the bathroom. I'm getting a revision on 5/4 and I'm excited to live life without throwing up. I'm scared too but I think we will be fine.

Finally getting my band removed on May 11th after a couple of years throwing up every day several times a day. I have to wait till August 3rd for the sleeve and I am very stressed about those 3 months in between. I know I will gain alot and eat alot, but I simply can't go on throwing up and I can't go with nothing because I wouldn't be getting surgical help if I was able to do this without surgery, right?. Anyway I would love to have some pen pals on here to help me through this. I am worried about the gain in between and comorbities coming back. Everything I read on here seems to be pretty positive with the band to sleeve situation. My doctor will not do in one surgery to improve the risk factors. He has a great record and doesn't lose patients so I have to take his advice there.

Oh Girl - Let me just tell you! I had my band for over 5 years, and I was starting to have major issues. Extreme tightness in the mornings, awful reflux at night (coughing fits and all), and it was miserable - I was also not losing anymore weight. Don't get me wrong - I lost 60-70 lbs with the band, but wasn't moving the last couple years. I saw my doc about getting the revisional surgery and life is GREAT so far! NO MORE reflux, no more ridiculous tightening that I can't even have Water in the morning, and just no more issues really! I had mine out and the sleeve done at the same time on March 30th, and everything went so smoothly. Granted I don't eat much at all now, but I don't have hunger issues and I MOST DEFINITELY don't have any throwing up issues. It's a totally different experience than the band! I wish I would have done this in the first place. Congratulations on making the change, and good luck with your surgery! Please let me know if you have any questions or need encouragement.

Oh Girl - Let me just tell you! I had my band for over 5 years, and I was starting to have major issues. Extreme tightness in the mornings, awful reflux at night (coughing fits and all), and it was miserable - I was also not losing anymore weight. Don't get me wrong - I lost 60-70 lbs with the band, but wasn't moving the last couple years. I saw my doc about getting the revisional surgery and life is GREAT so far! NO MORE reflux, no more ridiculous tightening that I can't even have Water in the morning, and just no more issues really! I had mine out and the sleeve done at the same time on March 30th, and everything went so smoothly. Granted I don't eat much at all now, but I don't have hunger issues and I MOST DEFINITELY don't have any throwing up issues. It's a totally different experience than the band! I wish I would have done this in the first place. Congratulations on making the change, and good luck with your surgery! Please let me know if you have any questions or need encouragement.

Glad to see I'm not the only with morning issues with my band, I think my wife and doctors thought I was nuts, especially how you said you couldn't even drink Water in the morning, that is me some days... I can't wait my surgery is in two weeks...

My removal is on may 11 th. Don't get sleeve till August. You guys are making me feel excited for the change. Sine days I can't keep anything down. ..others everything stays down. ..I can't wait to get through the 3 months and get my sleeve.

I've had the band 1.9 yrs.....been throwing up for 1.5 of that time. Having the revision on 21st of MAY! So glad to hear everyone's story. This gives me hope..... ready to do it!

I had the conversion on 04/22/15. So, I'm on day 11. I had gastritis on EGD a week before, and I think it has contributed to hunger pains. I have my first followup tomorrow. I have dealt with nausea...things are definitely different than band. I think there is a learning curve. I had my band for almost 12 years, and I didn't have chronic problems until this last year. But...at this point, if I see another serving of Jello or broth...oy! I need patience, that's for sure. I need to focus more on fluids I think. I'm sure the nausea will pass. My first day and a half were hard. All the meds made me dry heave. I've never had problems like that ever, so I'm definitely in uncharted territory!

Hi, Im thrilled for finding this app, I did my Lapband 3 years ago it went great! Until 4 months ago I started having horrible reflux episodes while sleeping. About 6 events per night coughing terribly and I tried everything even sleeping in a seated position. So my Lapband had to be unfilled, my esophagus was swollen and dilated and dr does not recommend filling it again, in these months with my unfilled band I have gained 18 pounds. I'm still at this moment a low BMI patient but I'm going for the sleeve on May 5th. With Dr. Mark Pleatman in Michigan he is charging me $13200 I'm self pay, I feel so tempted in going to Mexico and pay half after reading great

Istories here but I don't think I can deal with such a huge change in my plans.

Has anyone had this experience? How is the sleeve on low BMI patients? I would appreciate to know about someone with similar experience

I too have had the same problem with my band. I have gained 87 lbs since they took the saline out last May. My surgery to convert to a sleeve is May 28. It can't get here soon enough. I am ready to wear my size 6 clothes again. My garage is filled with boxed up clothes.

I had the lapband in May of 2010. I lost 50 lbs, but regained 15 of that. Everytime I would go in for a fill, within 12-18 hours later I would be back in Urgent Care with the acid reflux cough the next day back to surgeon having fill out. I tried it evey 6 months for the first 2 years, then just stopped going. I vomited almost with every meal after 2 bites. Very frustrating. In June 2014, I met back with a surgeon, he suggested the band be taked out so the vomiting would stop. I was scared, I did not want to gain the 35 pounds back. He suggested the sleeve, and I started the procedures. I had both surgeries, the same day with a over night stay, October 6.

Went back to work on the 15, and since that day I walk a mile on my lunch. Unfortunately, that is the only real exercise I get. Not that 1 mile 7 days a week is bad. I have lost 70lbs and have had no complications. Knock on wood.

My only regret, is not doing it sooner. Good Luck you will love it