Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old habits can be hard to break. Throw in a sale and the temptation is fierce. Bariatric dietitian Elizabeth Anderson gives you some tips to stay strong.

Perhaps you're not like me. Perhaps you're not a bargain diva or czar. Perhaps you don't have a sweet tooth, never have.

Maybe you never went into a drug store to buy a greeting card and came out with 3 for 1 bags of candy? Perhaps you always share big bags of treats with others, never squandering it all for yourself... on the drive home!

However, if ANY of this sounds a little like you. Read on. You're in good company.

Easter is over but the candy is not. Are there marquees or sale flyers in your world advertising deep discounts on the leftover candy? It's tough to resist, especially if you have a history of overdoing it during the holidays. If the Peeps are literally calling your name consider the following:

1. There are No Peeps left! They were sold out a week before Easter. The only thing left is candy so icky, they're selling it for 70% off. (No doubt those licorice jelly beans.)

2. This isn't Christmas wrapping paper people. If you stash away these deeply discounted items, you might have lots of chubby vermin in your attic making making nests out of that holiday wrap

3. Splurge your bargain urge this weekend at one of the first yard sales of the year.

Be honest with yourself. Is your weight up a little after the holiday? Maybe in a downward spiral of negative thought you've said to yourself, 'Buy the damn candy. What difference does it make? You're fat anyway?'

I'm here to tell you it does make a difference because YOU matter!!

There is no lasting love, lasting relaxation, lasting peace in the discounted candy. Yes, it soothes momentarily but at a very, very high price to your peace of mind, your confidence, your well-being. And those are the things I'm most interested in protecting.

No two WLS clients are the same, but I'll bet most would agree that having bulk candy around the house or office is an invitation for stress. Save yourself the grief, drive on by the candy sales and aisles and discount bins. Focus on the fun springtime clothes, bike rides and outdoor walks you're now enjoying. Now that is something to PEEP about!

Got to say - that post-Easter candy is calling my name constantly! Thanks for this post, it's most timely. My biggest frustration is that even if I work a couple small pieces into my plan, those two small pieces call for more the second they're down the hatch. I just keep wanting more, and I hate that. Not starting is my best bet, and not buying it has gotten easier this week. Thanks for putting into words what I'm going through, and likely lots of others.

Hmmm, Can I give into temptation that the post Easter tool sale at Sears is calling me? :)

Haha, I had Peeps at Easter. I had a plastics surgery the week before Easter and my best friend knows that during the week after surgery I "allow" myself to eat the junk food I don't normally eat. She got me every flavor of Peeps they make, which FYI is now like all the crazy colors, bubblegum, and lemonade flavors, so I had probably about 100 peeps. I ate two of the purple ones, I ate about 6 of the lemonade ones over the course of the week (and I still grab one every few days) and the rest are stuck in my pantry where they will probably stay until I end up tossing them. I love Peeps, but now I am completely content to eat one when I feel the urge and not have any more. That is entirely because of the sleeve, and it is a wonderful new concept. Only eating something when you crave it and only have one? Crazy!

Nope. Used to love Peeps, but they're not calling this year. Reeces, on the other hand, are echoing faintly in the distance. But very faintly, so I can manage to ignore them.