Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much fat are we expected to have in our diet?

I was sleeved 4/6/15 and still in the liquid diet phase. I see my surgeon & dietician this Wednesday (4/15/15) and i'm sure they will advance my diet..hopefully to pureed. I was wondering how low fat we need to go (how many grams fat/day). Should I go for totally nonfat type foods or should I buy lowfat. I know we need SOME fat in our diet. I need to make a food list soon so I can shop for suitable foods.

I, along with several other sleevers, don't count fat grams at all...just Protein and calories. Although I do try to eat lean Protein whenever possible, I also eat real butter, full fat dressings, yogurt etc....just do smaller amounts.

You have to be careful with the "low fat, no fat" thing...there is a lot of hidden sugars and processed crap they use for that stuff! And besides, the real stuff tastes better anyway ;)

I eat real fat! Real cheese, real sour cream, real dressing. I can't eat much, so it doesn't hurt me.

Full fat tastes better, keeps me full linger, satisfies that need for real flavor and doesn't have as much added sugar as @@Babbs pointed out.

I don't worry about fat as long as it's not something fried ...

I don't really watch the fat too much. I stay away from sugar and try to choose leaner items, but fat is not the end all be all. I would stay away from anything fried and anything with extra fat, but I am a fan of real foods vs chemically altered foods. Also most low fat/ no fat items just have extra sugar. Watch your sugar first and then look at fat to see if what you are eating seems to be worth it.

1. agree with all of the above. My guidelines say 30-44 grams a day, no more than 11 at one meal. So if I make lean choices it will be good. I HATE FAT FREE CHEESE! I do not mind reduced fat, so I have switched to that.

I eat healthy fats every day. Either avacado or raw almonds. Closest thing I had to a stall was maybe 3 weeks post op where I lost around 2 pounds for two straight weeks. I added in the healthy fats at that time. Haven't had a stall one time. I'm just at 7 months out and lost 5.8 pounds last week so I'm still moving the needle. More importantly I briefed that it's important to not starve yourself and differentiate between healthy fats and some that are not so healthy.

I buy lowfat and sometimes full fat. All fat free foods are abominations...like fat free cheese that does not melt. It's wrong and blasphemous!!!! I cast you OUT...evil fat free cheese that stays in worm-like rubber strands despite impossibly hot temperatures. BEGONE!

It's all about moderation and balance.

Overall, I ate more lowfat as I was losing and now that I'm moving into maintenance, I'm adding back in more fats like chicken thighs vs. chicken breasts.

Studies that either exist (or I thought exist but do not because I'm too lazy to look them up) show that people on a moderate fat diet do better in the long-run than non-fat diets.

I agree with all above. :) When I buy or eat something, I look at calories, Protein, carbs, and sugar content. If you keep the important stuff in check, the fat isn't an issue.

@@alwaysvegas I agree, fat free cheese should be banned and burned!! YUCK!

In my nutrition classes before surgery we were taught to eat low fat. Low fat means, 3 grams of fat/100 calories. Things like cheese don't usually follow that same rule though.