Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! I am a newbie to posting but have been following for a while. I am struggling with a plateau (I know this is common), and after talking to my NUT she said to just focus on eating only when hungry and to eliminate my Protein drink that I am still doing in the morning. I usually drink it even if I'm not hungry to make sure I get my 60g of Protein but my NUT is saying I don't need to focus on protein at all and just focus on eating different things and ONLY when hungry. She specifically said I do not need to worry about getting 60g in.

So my question is...has anyone else's NUT told them not to worry about counting protein? I thought that was the main hurdle post op, but I guess I could be wrong. ;)

@I'mALoserBaby

Don't worry about Protein? No I have never received that advice from anyone in my surgeons office.

That's a first for me. My nutritionist wants me to aim for 100 grams of protein! I can't imagine getting less than 60! It seems like most nutritionists and surgeons push Protein, protein, protein, so I'm very surprised to hear anyone saying less than 60 grams is okay beyond the first couple of weeks post-op. Obviously it's pretty hard to get above 60 in those early days.

I'll be honest, I don't pay a lot of attention to Protein. I eat when I'm hungry, I usually eat healthily, and the only thing I have found to be an issue is that I have to really remember to take my B12 and Iron, but I have no other problems. I am 100% sure I don't get 60g of Protein in everyday because then I would end up way over the amount of calories I eat on a more regular basis. She probably told you to stop drinking the Protein shake because the calorie deficit that doing so will create will help you drop out of your plateau. When you are first sleeved or after any surgery protein is pivotal to healing, but once you are a ways out, you don't have to be as obsessive about it. Try drinking half your Protein Shake if it is something you really like, or drink half in the morning and half at night and cut out part of dinner if you're that worried about getting in the protein. Ultimately though, protein is nice, but if getting in your protein is resulting in eating or drinking a lot more calories than would be the case otherwise, you're not going to lose as quickly as you would like.

I watched a lady on YouTube who had the surgery and she said the only difference in her diet from when she was losing and when she was maintaining her goal weight was that at the maintenance period she added an extra protein shake after her workouts. Those calories alone are what keep her from continuing to lose.

Hmmm...I've only been given a Protein goal. Told not to worry about calories or carbs. But of course I watch them :rolleyes: Old (bad) habits die hard. Told to eat a varied (healthy) diet. But for daily goals I go by Protein and Water intake. Work to get in exercise and that's really it.

I guess as long as my labs are good, I feel good, and I'm losing, I'd go with it.

Hmmm...I've only been given a Protein goal. Told not to worry about calories or carbs. But of course I watch them :rolleyes: Old (bad) habits die hard. Told to eat a varied (healthy) diet. But for daily goals I go by Protein and Water intake. Work to get in exercise and that's really it.

I guess as long as my labs are good, I feel good, and I'm losing, I'd go with it.

I'm the same. I don't track calories at all. I just put protein first, aim for my 100 grams a day (usually get at least 85) and drink my Water. I can't imagine trying to maintain the level of exercise I do with less than 60 grams a day of protein. I'd be sleeping at my desk!

Thanks everyone! I was just worried because you know you hear stories about deficiencies and losing a little hair and such. She also said they don't want me using Protein shakes anymore anyway and just focusing on eating. Her rationale was 'Would I be able to eat all that's in that Protein shake?', probably not. So therefore it leads to overeating. I guess it just seems scary to eat and not worry about counting protein...it will take some getting used to! I appreciate all your comments :)

Here In the UK there seems to be less emphasis on specific Protein intake goals. I was just told to eat slower, with smaller portIons, but to eat my protein first before anything else to make sure I have room for it. Generally I have protein In at least one meal a day with protein Snacks in between. I'm rarely hungry so I don't eat three meals a day. Most of my protein comes from eggs, seafood and chicken. When I have my check-up they're happy with my blood results and when I say I don't have as good a balanced diet as I did before surgery because I don't have much room for vegetables, they just say that within a year things will be easier.

Another reason to drop the Protein shake is that liquid calories are just not as filling and satisfying as solid ones. If I have a Protein Shake versus a Protein food bar, the food bar will satisfy me a lot longer, even though it has fewer calories. So, dropping your shake may have the benefit of curbing your appetite.

Also, adding some unflavored Protein powder to drinks or foods is a low calorie way to up protein if you are concerned. A teaspoon is about 30 calories for 10 grams of protein.

Good luck!

That sounds crazy. I just had a post-op appointment today and she reminded me to get my Protein. It helps you heal. Your body needs it to rebuild your muscles. Was she concerned that you were having too many calories? I told my doctor today that I have 2 Protein shakes so I get at least 60g and then add additional high protein/low carb items as I need to eat. If I only ate when I was hungry, I would only eat once per day and would be lucky to get 100 calories in. Your NUT sounds like she gave you some misinformation.

@stephaniestroupmcintosh No it wasn't about calories since it's practically impossible to eat too much at this stage. It's also not the first time she's said it (it was mentioned in a class she teaches as well that we have to attend prior to surgery not too worry about counting protein). I will definitely ask the doctor about it today but I'm sure they are on the same page. I was just so surprised because everyone here always stressing Protein so much. Without my Protein drinks I think I only get maybe 30-40g Protein a day and I just didn't think that was enough. I also said I focus on eating protein first so I'm not getting a ton of veggies, and she said to do a bite of protein and then a bite of veggie and so on. That also seemed crazy since everyone always says here to eat Proteins first then veggies and then, if you have room, carbs. I'm just trying to figure out what is the right plan for me to follow. It's confusing with a ton of different info! :unsure:

Hi guys! I am a newbie to posting but have been following for a while. I am struggling with a plateau (I know this is common), and after talking to my NUT she said to just focus on eating only when hungry and to eliminate my Protein drink that I am still doing in the morning. I usually drink it even if I'm not hungry to make sure I get my 60g of Protein but my NUT is saying I don't need to focus on protein at all and just focus on eating different things and ONLY when hungry. She specifically said I do not need to worry about getting 60g in.

So my question is...has anyone else's NUT told them not to worry about counting protein? I thought that was the main hurdle post op, but I guess I could be wrong. ;)

Went to my NUT today I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and she told me the same thing since I'm having a hard time finding a Protein shake I like

I would truly worry about the long-term consequences of not getting enough Protein in. You're much more likely to lose muscle than fat without enough Protein. Protein helps with the healing process. And how much hair are you going to lose without enough protein? My Hair loss only lasted about a month and a half, but I think if I had gotten less protein, it would have been MUCH worse.

I was just watching a show called Downsize Me yesterday while I was working out. There was a woman on there who was actually quite thin, only weighing about 155 pounds, but she had over 29% body fat, because she ate all the wrong things. The most important of which was her lack of protein. She had virtually NO protein in her diet, usually only having any sort of protein at dinner time. She and her husband were going through the new nutrition program together and the nutritionist had her eating half again as much protein as her husband to make up for her deficiency. The personal trainer was appalled at her lack of muscle and inability to even do any kind of moderate lifting.

Protein is just so critical to the functioning of our bodies, whether we are WLS patients or not. The reason so much emphasis is put on protein for WLS patients specifically is because we are eating so little food in total. Our protein requirements don't go down just because we've had WLS, but our food intake drops dramatically. Therefore a higher percentage of the foods we eat need to be protein. 46 grams of protein is the minimum daily recommended allowance for a sedentary woman. Throw in the fact that we are rapidly losing weight and increasing out activity level and we really do need more than that.

My Dr. in Mexico sent me home with a plan focused on 5 small meals/snacks during the day, Protein being a small part of every one. I asked about shakes, and he said no need. I eat my Protein first.

I have lost 32 pounds in 8 weeks. Started at 196. I had a lower BMI so it's going a little slow for me, but I expected that.

Protein first is what my team says. Plus Fluid. I'm still using Protein Shakes. That is the only way I can get enough protein. You might re-visit the topic with your team. Best of Luck