Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For anyone considering lapband.

I remember well when you were doing very well @@parisshel and I knew you were being compliant with the protocol. I looked to people like you who followed the rules an had no issues. I'm so sorry you are having problems and it's very concerning because you didn't bring this on with abuse of the band. That means any one of us who are doing well at the moment, can find ourselves having problems.

Giving you a virtual hug right now.

@@Cleo's Mom: Right. Oh, and let me add that I ALWAYS kept my band loose. (You can see my numbers in my signature). I was a firm believer in wanting to have "somewhere to go" when I sensed less satiety. So my complications were not triggered by a too-tight band. I wanted to keep my band for as long as possible, so I never opted for the too-tight/fast weight loss track. I was slow and steady, very regular losses with no pb or vomiting issues.

Sadly you are not alone. The band has not proved to be the safe effective device we were promised when I was banded in 2006. Some people undoubtedly contributed to their problems: many did everything as they shouid and still had awful problems - like you.

Surgery cares risks. Simple as that. And in our desperation to lose weight, we can lose sight of that!

I consider myself very lucky. I'd never advise any one to have surgery because I guess you never really know what is going to transpire. For me getting the band was the perfect decision but we are all different. I am so sorry for everything you have gone through. And you, too, Shel. There is still so much we are learning about the vagus nerve and about our bodies in general. Last year a new tendon was discovered in the human knee. What? How many hundreds of years of cadaver anatomy and knee replacements, etc., and they just discovered a new tendon now? It's small but still. Geez. We have a long way to go in many respects. Hopefully science and medicine will provide new options for weight loss but meanwhile I count my lucky stars for my band. So happy with my experience so far, although I'm only a year and a half out. I don't do tight, though, and won't.

I consider myself very lucky. I'd never advise any one to have surgery because I guess you never really know what is going to transpire. For me getting the band was the perfect decision but we are all different. I am so sorry for everything you have gone through. And you, too, Shel. There is still so much we are learning about the vagus nerve and about our bodies in general. Last year a new tendon was discovered in the human knee. What? How many hundreds of years of cadaver anatomy and knee replacements, etc., and they just discovered a new tendon now? It's small but still. Geez. We have a long way to go in many respects. Hopefully science and medicine will provide new options for weight loss but meanwhile I count my lucky stars for my band. So happy with my experience so far, although I'm only a year and a half out. I don't do tight, though, and won't.

I think much of the future of medicine will be in gene therapy and we are a long way from that. I think conditions like cancer, alzheimers, parkinsons, autism and the autoimmune diseases will likely require gene therapy for prevention or cure. So, too, I think will obesity, which is a disease.

I envision a (far away) future where people will say - "What? they used to cut out 80% of your stomach or reroute your stomach to lose weight? So glad they don't have to do that now".

I'm watching and learning from everyone on BariatricPal. If complications happen despite my best efforts, at the very least I hope I'll recognize abnormal symptoms before too much time passes. ((Hugs))

I'm happy to finally find people who understand the struggles! I have attended support groups, but most patients now have the sleeve.

I had my LapBand surgery about 7 years ago. I had a really difficult time though out the first year trying to find my "sweet spot", once I did, I was golden. I lost about 50-60 lbs without any (real) trouble. I was pretty tight, but learned to adjust my life. I reached about 10 lbs of my goal weight when things started going wrong. I hadn't had an adjustment in over 2 years, but all of the sudden, I couldn't eat, hardly drink...

I had a complete un-fill and after some testing, my Dr. diagnosed gallstones, and I had my gallbladder removed. I gained about 25 lbs in those few months before I could get another real fill. So frustrating. Also, when my band was completely empty, I had incredible gas, ALL the time.

Now, about 1.5 year later, I can't get a good restriction. When the band is relatively tight, I suffer with reflux (NEVER had any kind of hearburn in my life) and I can barely eat anything. Of course my weight is good... Last night I had to sleep sitting up, and still can hardly drink Water. I have been back and forth over the past few months with adjustments (at $175 each). I know I have to go back in, but then my weight will go up again. I exercise, and try to eat well, but it's like my body sucks up the calories and won't let go.

Because I'm having such difficulty now, I'm concerned about damage to my esophagus, and what did I see about cancer from GERD!? I'm not interested in the sleeve or a different procedure. I could really use some advice and support. I never have regretted my decision to have surgery, but I worry now about long term effects or permanent damage to my body.

I'm happy to finally find people who understand the struggles! I have attended support groups, but most patients now have the sleeve.

I had my LapBand surgery about 7 years ago. I had a really difficult time though out the first year trying to find my "sweet spot", once I did, I was golden. I lost about 50-60 lbs without any (real) trouble. I was pretty tight, but learned to adjust my life. I reached about 10 lbs of my goal weight when things started going wrong. I hadn't had an adjustment in over 2 years, but all of the sudden, I couldn't eat, hardly drink...

I had a complete un-fill and after some testing, my Dr. diagnosed gallstones, and I had my gallbladder removed. I gained about 25 lbs in those few months before I could get another real fill. So frustrating. Also, when my band was completely empty, I had incredible gas, ALL the time.

Now, about 1.5 year later, I can't get a good restriction. When the band is relatively tight, I suffer with reflux (NEVER had any kind of hearburn in my life) and I can barely eat anything. Of course my weight is good... Last night I had to sleep sitting up, and still can hardly drink Water. I have been back and forth over the past few months with adjustments (at $175 each). I know I have to go back in, but then my weight will go up again. I exercise, and try to eat well, but it's like my body sucks up the calories and won't let go.

Because I'm having such difficulty now, I'm concerned about damage to my esophagus, and what did I see about cancer from GERD!? I'm not interested in the sleeve or a different procedure. I could really use some advice and support. I never have regretted my decision to have surgery, but I worry now about long term effects or permanent damage to my body.

You are right to be concerned about the long term affects of GERD and esophageal cancer. I know because my husband (who didn't have WLS) suffered from GERD, developed Barrett's esophagus which was being monitored yearly and went from NO dysplasia to esophageal cancer the next year. Though caught early (they removed his esophagus) and given an optimistic prognosis, it was in his liver 11 months later and he died the next year at a young age.

If you have GERD the sleeve can make it worse. They suggest RNY for those with GERD and it seems to resolve the issue.

It seems like you are too tight. I have always said that regardless of which WLS you have - eating should not be painful. Didn't we go through this to get healthier? We shouldn't have to have pain when eating or not be able to drink Water or sleep sitting up. That is not a healthy lifestyle regardless of the weight loss.

Btw, I had the band put in in 2008, unfilled in 2009 and have hated it every single day. It has never done one thing for me, including helping me to lose weight. But I am not ready for a revision of any kind. Too many problems with each of them.

I think you should get an unfill, let yourself heal for awhile and not worry about the weight at this point and then maybe have some testing done to see what is going on with your band - and upper GI and endoscopy perhaps.

Good luck

I thank those who post about sudden or long term problems with the band. It would appear things are going along ok for some of them for years and then big problems and weight gain.

Frankly, this scares me. I've adjusted to banded life for over 8 years and am very compliant....but hear others are as well and then BOOM ... Their life changes.

Maybe long term success with the band people just don't post often?

I know there are many of us out in the world????just

wanting to believe that I suppose

Same here Julie. I worry all the time that suddenly I'll have issues. Hoping just like you that those with no issues are just not posting. I know that Alex is doing just fine and he is banded ten years.

@@Julie norton Me too! I am nine years post-op and doing well. But I always have a lurking fear! I just know of too many people who develop problems.

i guess coming here and reading the many different post on the band has us all a little worried. As i think we all should be. Im trying to get back on track. Just like @@Jmejme Where i was good and then all of a sudden, two years with out a fill ... Bam, i was having re flux and a hard time keeping down Supper. I went in feb and got a 1cc removal and i do feel better. I have occasional episodes, but nothing terrible.

Not to get too graphic... but the gas (not belching) has gotten worse. Constipation is sort of a problem... (but not always). Sometimes i feel a heaviness in my chest.

I just keep praying that it all works out... My job now does not cover WLS and if something should go wrong i would have to sell one of my kidneys or some eggs.... to get GB or the Sleeve... No way am i going back

I'm also a band-to-sleeve patient. My band was working great until last December (12/14), when I got a tear in my stomach from the stitches that held my band in place. I got my band-to-sleeve revision surgery last February. So far I've only lost 5 lbs, but I really haven't been trying hard to lose weight either - I'm still eating cheeseburgers :-)

@@coachk11233 If your on the fence.... Do more research... go to some support groups in your area... talk to people that had WLS... all the different types. Look around here... you will see people that love the band, love the sleeve and love the GB.... but you will also see people who Hate the band, hate the sleeve and hate GB.... I'm sure you will make the right choice.

I had my band in 2004. I lost 100 lbs over a period of a year. I did fine for ten years. Around the first part of last year I started to notice that when I got up in the morning I was not able to get liquids to go down very well. It would be like noon before I could drink. I started having gastric reflux real bad at night while I was sleeping. I essentially was sitting straight up to sleep. I saw my surgeon and had an upper GI. My band had slipped. The dr took all the saline out and told me my band had to be removed. My family was in the process of moving across the state so I did not have surgery then. I have since moved, found another surgeon, and it took 4 months to get insurance approval. My band removal and conversion to sleeve is May 28th. I have to admit I am a little nervous about this surgery because it is not reversible like the band.