Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I care?

Hey my friends,

I have been doing some thinking as of late about getting to goal weight. I am 22 pounds from a goal of 170. I changed it from 180 once I got to the lower 200's. I am just wondering if it is realistic to set my sights at a lower goal weight. I have been losing a pound a week since about April. It is really going a lot slower now and I am becoming a little complacent. I hoped I wouldnt, but I am not trying as hard as before. But also I notice that any little discretion sets me back 3 or 4 days, so I am still pretty diligent about keeping the calories to a 1200 maximum per day except when I go to Vegas and have margarita parties!! LOL

I dont know whether I should care if I ever see a weight of 160 or less. I am in a 12-14 top and a 16 bottom (loose) which isnt all that terrible, but its still fat in my book. Should I care more and try to be more dilgent or be happy with the pound a week that I am losing? I also feel like I need more fill. I eat quite a bit compared to what is considered to be a normal bandster serving and occasionally feel guilty about this. Or should I get a really tight fill and try to get the 20 lbs off as fast as possible? I am confused.......

Babs in TX

334/192/170

Hi Babs,

Obviously this is a question only you can answer. For me, for now, I made a decision not to agonize over either the numbers or the process--I just have too much else in my life needing my attention to add stressing over my diet to the mix. If you have room in your life and your mind to make getting to some number a priority, and if you get joy from the process and the achievements, then the answer for you may be yes. Everyone is different, obviously, and our histories and life situations inform our choices.

My "goal" has always been to no longer be so obese that my weight afflicts my life and health. I've actually gotten there, I believe, but no one would say I'm "done." However, I definitely feel like I've reached a stage where I'm happy to remain until my brain catches up. It's impossible to undertake an effort to lose weight if there are psychological barriers in place, so I'm being patient with myself and trying to explore those barriers while enjoying my new smaller body.

So what is "done"? How happy are you where you are? If you don't know if you should care about 160, my guess is that you don't really care. And why should you? 20 lbs is not the kind of weight that will compromise your health and shorten your life, so what difference does it really make? Only one: to you. You are the only person you have to please, so do what you are comfortable with.

Helpful, huh? :rolleyes :rolleyes:

Babs-

HI! I could have wrote this post! However I have not seen the scale move in about 2 months...or more.. I don't know I don't keep track anymore. I have seen my body compacting and remolding. I decided to throw out the numbers on the scale... seriously... I am aiming for a specific size. (<grin> notice I say throw out the numbers...not the scale <grin>) I think that we become lax in our habits because it starts to grow old, it's not a new novelty anymore....you know what you can eat, you know how to eat, you know what you can "get away with" and what you can't! In my mind if I never lost another pound, or if I never got into the size of jeans I want to be in, I am still a success story.. because I feel healthier, I look healthier and I am just plain happier all the way around! Do what you feel is right for you!!!! You are so successful!!!

Hey Karen,

Its good to hear from you again. I know I dont post as often, but I think of everyone a lot. I feel like I need to jump start this baby again. I am still 7 pounds from being overweight and I am still in the obese category. Hope you and your son are doing well.

Alex: I am a classic overachiever and feel that things needs to happen immediately.! LOL I said when I got below 200, I would take it easy and just let my body get to where it wants to go in its own time. I think I could be happy at 170, but at one pound a week, its gonna take me at least 5 more months to get there! I just want to arrive!!

Babs in TX

334/192/170

Hi Babs

As someone at the very beginning of the weight loss journey I read your post with interest.

The thing that I've been thinking about is this... if only I could "harness" how I feel right now so when I'm a year or two further ahead I could re-visit it to remind myself how far I have come.

You see I know that I'll be the same as you! It'll never be too soon for me and I'll always want it to go faster!

So, this is the nearest I can get to reminding you how you felt before wls... be patient, you've already done a great job AND you're still losing a pound a week. How many other diets did you do for 16 months - and on how many of them were you still losing steadily after 16 months? Don't worry, I know the answer!

The other thing... during my research where I've been reading up on the post-op problems it seems that over-filling the band is the cause of most issues. I'm making a point of remembering this because I fear my impatience will cause me to visit the "fill clinic" once too often. On other words... note to self: If you are losing weight, you don't need a fill.

Don't know if this helps but I hope so!

Jax

SAGB or LAPband

Germany 22/11/04

Babs-

I'm not too far into my journey, but if I was losing a lb a week I'd probably leave things the way they are. Maybe a tiny tiny fill if I felt like I could take one, but like Jax said, over filled would be bad too. Also, have you looked at your BMI recently? That might give you a clue as to what you want to do. I want to be somewhere in the mid range of "normal" one day. :rolleyes:

The other thing... during my research where I've been reading up on the post-op problems it seems that over-filling the band is the cause of most issues. I'm making a point of remembering this because I fear my impatience will cause me to visit the "fill clinic" once too often. On other words... note to self: If you are losing weight, you don't need a fill.

I'm very aware of this as well. Since this is a lifelong battle I want to do everything possible to keep my band safe and sound and INSIDE ME. So even if I'm NOT losing weight--if my health is being preserved and I feel I'm making progress on some level--I may not need a fill. Being overfilled is a risk I'd very much like NOT to take, and certainly not for those last 20 lbs that no one but I would be aware of.

Hyuk. No one would ever accuse me of being an overachiever! :rolleyes:

It sounds like you are doing great, Babs. :rolleyes: You sound so "normal!" You can eat well and you are still losing, even though it seems slow to you. Good luck with deciding what to do next! :D

Hi Again,

Jax: It is true if you are losing weight (1-2 lbs a week) that you shouldnt normally get a fill. But I find I can eat a lot more than I really need and I get hungrier between meals now. I had another fill in August (which made me too tight) and then an unfill that was greater than the fill in September. I feel like my doc penalized me for having a fill that was too tight when it did not start out this way. Previous to the August fill, I worked with my band for 9 months with the same fill level. I felt I was experienced enough to know how to handle additional restriction. The band is very fickle sometimes. What feel s like a good fill level one day is too tight sometimes as long as 2-3 weeks after the fill. And it varies from day to day as well. Just so you know, if I want to eat 8-10 oz of food, I can do that quite easily. My normal meal is between 5-8 oz of solid Protein and veggies. So yes, I can eat more than most properly restricted bandsters. I am not complaining, but I really feel like I have never reached that sweet spot where food is no longer a priority in my life. Anyway, I may go back and get a fill in December to jumpstart the weight loss.

Alex: Even at 170, I would still be considered overweight for a woman with a height of 5' 6". So its not like I would be thin and its not like I am truly obsessing over a number on the scale. I want to get to a size 12-14 on the bottom and a 10-12 on the top. Thats my goal and I dont know what weight that will be.

Anyway, I am seriously going to consider a fill sometime during November to get me through the Christmas season relatively unscathed!!!

Babs in TX

334/192/170

6/23/03

I'm looking at your picture, Babs... I put one up on my corkboard at work with Vera and Penni and Sachi wearing that boa. You don't even look like an overweight women. I don't care what society or doctors say, our bodies know what they are doing when we're eating right. If you are really staying under 1200 calories a day, I don't think you need another fill. I've only had one fill so far, but I never want to be somebody that relies on fills when the weightloss slows down. I realize the band was designed to hold saline that gives us restriction, but like we've heard a thousand times, it's only a tool. If you still have willpower to stick under 1200 calories, then use what God gave you. My problem is that I'm almost into this journey six months, yet I haven't corrected all my bad eating habits. I have some good band days. And I have tons and tons of "good" meals (lunch doesn't seem to be a problem, and I rarely snack at work like I used to do all day long.) But I still have times that I mini-binge at night. I still often make poor choices. But for me, it's progress, not perfection.

I don't think you should worry about any numbers. You're weight loss simply has to slow down considering you don't weigh much anymore.

Nice to see your smiling face... Chris says hi to everyone.

Hi Lisa,

I want to come and see you in Vegas again!!! I had such a great time and I want to ride your bike!!! Thank you so much for the compliment. There are days I look in the mirror and think I no longer look obese. But there are other days.... The problem is I still weigh much more than I should. The tanita scale says my ideal weight is 146-152. If thats the case, I am still 40-45 pounds overweight. I didnt think that 170 was an unrealistic goal. No one is calling me a fat ass anymore (LOL) but I still dont feel thin. I want to know what that really feels like. P.S. I will be going to Vegas again either for the Vegas Bandsters Bash or just for fun in Jan or Feb. Hopefully by then, I woould have lost another 10 pounds!! Tell Chris I said HI too!

Babs in TX

Babs, you've done so great! I don't know how I'll feel when I get so close. I guess the main thing is if you're happy with yourself and your life right now. If you talk to anyone long enough, you'll find there's something that they don't like or want to change about themself. Even the most beautiful, skinny, rich person in the world has problems. I'm happier now than I was at this same weight on the way up the scale. Best of luck to you!

I don't really have an answer for you cause I am in the same boat. I would like to lose another 20-30 lbs and I don't think they will ever come off. I am like you, I want them off really bad!!!! Let me know if you find the secret!! Good Luck!!

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm too far from my goal to fully relate, except to the "classic overachiever [who] feels that things need to happen immediately." If you really want to lose more weight, hey, why not? Five months doesn't sound that long to me, though; we're talking late March, plenty of time for shorts and bathing suits next year. You've achieved such a remarkable thing by losing all those pounds. Here's one old newbie who votes for doing whatever you want -- coasting at the same weight, getting a fill, losing slowly. . . the choice is yours!