Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started this process on March 16th. From beginning to end, how long does this process normally take to have Bypass surgery? I have seen the psychiatrist, nutritionist, exercise coach, and the internal medicine doctor, and they are in the process of scheduling my sleep study. My EGD is scheduled for April 23rd. I will attend the seminar at the beginning of May because the weather was to bad for me to drive 75 miles to the seminar on April 9th, so I had to reschedule. I'm really anxious and ready for this to be done.

I can't speak for everyone but from the date of my consultation to the date of my surgery was less than 90 days. I met my doctor on 1/16/15, did my labs and psych eval within a week of that. Did my nutritionist consultation a few weeks later. Had a follow up visit a month later. Another follow up visit a month after than. They submitted my insurance approval after my February visit and it was approved within a day. I had two pre op appointments, one at the hospital where my surgery would be held, and then one with my surgeon. I had surgery on 4/6/15 and came home on 4/8/15

I had my consultation on January 29th, All my nutrition, psych and egd done by Feb 20th, took 3 weeks to get my insurance final approval and I had preop on April 1st, scheduled for April 15th.

Wow, you guys were lucky. It took 9 months for me to get through the process. Mostly because my insurance required a six month monitored diet. It seemed like I waited forever. LOL, it was like waiting for one of my children to be born!

I will say, that time allowed me to build very good habits and I think it made my recovery and transition that much smoother.

Good luck to you!

I think it has to do with variables like insurance, and your surgeons availability. I'm cash pay, and attended my first seminar on 3/14/15, EGD on 3/31, PreSurgery visit 4/24, and surgery 4/28. That's moving pretty quick IMO.

Insurance and the surgeons practice typically dictates that.

For me, I had my consult 3/4, did my pre ops thru March, followed up with the surgeon on 4/8 and was sent for insurance approval that day. Insurance approved me within an hour. My surgery is 4/28.

Hi it depends on your insurance requirement my insurance required a mandatory 6 month requirement along with various test , I started the entire thing with a seminar back in August 2014 and do to long waiting lit for my surgeon I did not have my procedure done until May 2014. I though it too forever but the time allowed me to learn a lot about myself my true friends and make the necessary changes in my life such as getting rid of bad foods, beginning an exercise program, and learning why I was an emotional eater as well as just stress and comfort eater good luck. Total time from start to finish was 10 months.

Hi Cupcake I have met the insurance requirement in the beginning. They just needed proof that I have tried numerous duets and failed. So when I went to visit my bypass Dr that was not going to be a problem. Why do you need clearance from the cardiologist before you can get the EGD done?

Edited by MzAlice

I started in October 2014 and will be having surgery April 2015. So roughly six months. I had only 3 months of the supervised diet but ended up with 3 sessions with psych doctor and the EGD, education class was all done by February. But that last meeting with the psych doctor wasn't until 2nd week of March and they scheduled me for the surgery on March 13 for the April 22 date. So it took awhile but I was ok with that. To be honest I wasn't 100% on board with the whole process due to fear and lack of trust but I've overcome alot of my hesitations. Almost game day! :D Two week liquid diet and hopefully my liver shrinks enough for the surgery. Good Luck!

What should I pack for the hospital? My doctor said I will be in the hospital for 4-5 days. Is that right? Is just preparing me for worst case scenario?

I was only in the hospital for 2 days. I didn't get dressed or change clothes until I went home. I had packed sweats and pajamas and ended up not needing them at all. I packed my shower cap and headwrap as well as my face soap and lotion. They provided me a bag with shower gel, body lotion, a toothbrush and toothpaste and mouthwash. I had brought my own but didn't end up needing it. You should bring your own in case your hospital or surgery center isn't as accommodating. If you have to buy these things from the hospital convenience store it'll cost you triple.

I went to the hospital in a hoodie and leggings and nikes. I left the hospital in a sweatsuit and flip flops. I took my phone and iPad and their charging cords. Just about everything else I needed was given to me.

Edited by blashlee

I am jumping through the same hoops. In my case I've already had a online pysch test ($200+) and had my endoscopy on 3/31.

I was floored when I was told both tests would take 4-6 weeks to come back! I paid for the online pysch test through my surgeon's office and got a link to a third party to do the evaluation. The endoscopy was do next door to the bariatric surgeons office and I can't imagine why it takes 4-6 weeks on what was a pretty standard online survey for pysch.

I've already got my cardiac clearance, ok from my primary care physician, and had my initial consult, behavioral consult, and had my first nutritionist appointment (2 more to go). At this point I can't say when all the planets will be aligned but I've lost 20 lbs since my initial consult so I'm ready to go! We'll see how it goes... Good luck!

at my location they require 4-6 months. I signed up Jan and got released by everyone yesterday. (social worker, physical therapist, nutritionist and the nurse.) it is all mental. I'm normally a very patient person but this really took my mind on a ride. I know many people wait as long as a year it all depends on your health status of anything holds u back (physical therapy etc) they will tell u when each of them are checking you off. they sent in to my insurence for the final approval yesterday so now it's another waiting game for me could be up to another 3-4 weeks. I had to keep telling myself not to let how long it takes stop me from making the best decision of my life.

It took me about 5 months total.