Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I had my surgery Monday, April 6th. I was not expecting the pain sitting up- not sure why I just didn't actually think about it. It has gotten much better.

Anyways my question is how did everyone get to their goals? Like the highest I've gotten in liquid is about 20-24 ounces I know I just need to keep constantly drinking. I've gotten to 20 so far today. But I am pretty behind when it comes to Protein. How are you guys getting your Protein in? I have Protein powder and I put it, fruit, Water, and juice in my magic bullet and it usually tastes gross. I have tried a new Protein shake that I like but it was $4 for 14 oz bottle and I'd have to drink 3 a day to reach my goal.

So how can i use the powder more effectively and can you suggest any cheaper Protein shakes that are good? Currently drinking the GNC lean shake in the chocolate flavor.

I used a lot of Syntrax nectar Tea (they have many other flavors) as it mixes with Water and was easier to get down early on. Also easier to sip on that all day rather than try to suck down an entire milky thick shake in one sitting. Syntrax products have like 24g per scoop. As you advance your diet you'll have other choices... Protein bars, Quest and PowerCrunch are my favs, and high Protein P28 bread and wraps. Quinoa chips, cooking with Protein Powder and lots of other options. None of these protein supplements are cheap, unfortunately, but neither is obesity! For now, find a protein you can drink and shoot for at least 75g or whatever your surgeon\Nut told you for a goal. Keep sipping your Water. As you advance your diet you'll need the supplements less, but I'm approaching 2 years out and still do one or two per day because I can't eat that much food and I like variety in my diet, (all chicken breast all the time sux). Today, I toss a scoop of vanilla whey (grocery store brand) in my coffee every morning and do a PowerCrunch protein "cookie" as an afternoon snack sometimes.

Sip. Sip. Sip. All day long. I aimed for 1 oz. of Fluid every 15 minutes, so 4 oz. per hour. For Protein, the truth is I just never got anywhere near goal while in the liquids phase. I tried to get in 3 shakes a day. My favorite ready-to-drink shakes were EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control (Rich Dark Chocolate), which I bought at Target and Walmart. Some groceries stores carry them too. They taste a lot like Slim Fast if you've ever had that, but with way more protein and way less carbs.

I love the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powders!! Loved them before surgery and, fortunately, still love them post surgery. You can order Unjury online at www.unjury.com. If you're not satisfied with the product, you can return it. For me, it comes to about $1.25 per serving for just the powder. They even have a chicken Soup option that I use for lunch at work; just be careful of Water temperature (read the directions).

It took me weeks before I felt like I was able to drink enough liquids throughout the day. Some days it's still a struggle to get enough in. Sip, sip, sipping all day long is the key.

Once I recovered from my complications and was able to eat regular foods, getting enough Protein became a little easier, but I still supplement with protein shakes, at least 1-2 servings a day. My new tummy doesn't tolerate much food at meal time.

Some "go to" foods for me are (in no particular order):

1. 4 oz. 2% cottage cheese (or less fat)
  2. Unjury protein powder mixed with various beverages, i.e. skim milk, SF drink mixes, etc.
  3. Low fat cheese/cheese sticks
  4. Beef Jerky (a favorite) :rolleyes: (Aldi's/Simmons brand)
  5. Boiled egg
  6. Peanut Butter
  7. 1/2 cup black Beans w/meat (my made up "recipe")
  8. Yogurt
  9. Roasted chicken

Good luck on your journey!!!

Jamie I actually have the EAS ones, I used to drink slim fast so I think I will like those.

Bikrchk- I will look those up it will be nice to have something that's not just chocolate or vanilla. I think I will do better when I'm allowed to eat other foods.

Excited to get to regular food only 3-4 weeks to go. I just want to stay hydrated and healthy!

Pure Protein at Target and Body Fortress at Wal-Mart are both cheap and they get pretty good reviews on taste, you might check them out. You can also just go to a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and see if they have anything on sale. I know my Vitamin Shoppe always has *something* on sale for a good price.

You are doing well for just recently having had surgery. It takes a minute to build up to hitting 60gm protein/64 ounces of fluids. Just keep at it.

As for Protein powders, I liked adding FAGE 0% greek yogurt to my mix to give it a nice Protein boost.

For inexpensive Protein Powder CVS makes a whey isolate in vanilla and chocolate flavors. The vanilla provides a nice blank canvas to add other flavors to. I would be careful not to use too much fruit since it carries a lots of natural sugar. Perhaps only add fruit a few time a week. I also add a tbsp of almond butter to my drinks occasionally.

It takes a lot of trial and error to find a protein shake you like, so don't get discouraged if you dislike the first few you try. I mostly prefer to use Isopure unflavored because I can also add it to hot beverages like Soup.< /p>