Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is everyone doing 3-5 years out?

Dorrie, I am feeling really fat too... but only when I look at pictures ha. Now that problem is easy to solve (covering eyes!).

Truth is we are all doing great and that self criticism didn't serve us well when obese and doesn't help much now either. Just keep on keeping on!

I'm not 2-3 years out, but I am below my goal and trying to figure out how to proceed. I've been posting a lot that my Snacks are all protein-based, like nuts, cheese, Jerky, and yogurt. I've also stated that fat and calories do not seem to matter. BUT.... The more I read from you veterans and how hard it gets to lose weight that has crept back on, the more I wonder about whether my tricks will continue to work in maintenance. My new theory is that while we're in ketosis, fat and calories really DON'T matter - the weight will continue to come off by nature of the ketosis. However... The only way to stop losing once we get to our final goal weight, is probably to knock ourselves out of ketosis, right?. And how do we do that? Probably by adding back some carbs. And that threatens to bring back the slippery slope! My doc said to only add back the carbs you would eat with a healthy meal (brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, sweet potatoes) and not anything that would tempt you to go to the fridge or pantry for a handful. Okay, that makes sense. But now I'm also thinking that once we stop the ketosis, fat and calories may start to count again. Meaning that we can't use those high-fat Protein Snacks to stay satisfied anymore. (Goodbye handfuls of nuts and cheese.) So what do we replace them with in order to not gain weight, but not lose anymore either. Do you WLS veterans have any thoughts on this? Is this even an appropriate question for this thread, or should I start another? Thanks!!!

Cowgirljane you are totally right. I just need to get back on track and not beat myself up. I need to handle my fear appropriately before it gets the best of me. LOL

Rogofulm you are on the right track. Perhaps eating a bit more balanced might help. I can't eat moderately when it comes to sugars and stuff. So I am learning that my brain is more trouble than anything. I eat when I'm not hungry, I've been eating carbs, and my Protein has decreased. This has been a learning curve and now it's time to get it right for me. you will find your strengths and weaknesses as you try different ways of eating. Good job on your current losses! CONGRATS! :)

Thanks very much, @@Ms skinniness! I wish you great success in getting a handle on your program too!!! You've probably already seen these, but in case you haven't, here are two sites that look helpful for that. I haven't tried them myself yet, but they do look promising. And take another look at your own quotes and tag lines.... They're inspirational for the rest of us, so why not for you too? Good luck!

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/index.html

http://forum.fastday.com/5-2_diet.php

Year three was brutal - not for the reasons I have seen from any other sleever out there.

In my third year I was taken off my B12 injections and moved to oral b12 - it turns out I don't absorb oral b12 even at high doses. I do not fully understand why, but the method of testing for b12 deficiency is highly inaccurate (if you are getting sufficient dietary b12 you get a falsely high reading, the test itself is accurate 40% +/- which is a huge variation, and it when your b12 level dramatically changes the test somehow "reads" the b12 in your body 6 months previously rather than the current level). Due to my undiagnosed deficiency I spent three months in a wheelchair, saw 9 doctors in numerous specialties, and was ultimately hospitalized for a week before a doctor figured out the correct test to order. The result didn't come back until I was home from the hospital because it takes two weeks to process, and during that time I was incorrectly diagnosed and told I would never walk again. For anyone wondering, the truly useful b12 test looks at MMA levels! I have permanent nerve damage to my hands and feet, have some level of constant pain, but am walking up to a couple miles on good days.

The other development was constant fatigue, nearly fainting on a regular basis, and becoming underweight (of all bizarre things!!). I saw doctor after doctor, was in the ER a few times , and couldn't figure it out. Finally the nutritionist recommended monitoring my blood sugar based on the stats about sleever complications. It turns out I have very severe hypoglycemia. It isn't the typical reactive hypoglycemia that sleeves are prone to - where in response to food the pancreas overproduces insulin. Instead, my pancreas overproduces insulin day and night. My blood sugar never gets very high, and randomly drops low - in my sleep, watching TV, in response to exercise, etcetera. I spent a week on a 24 hour blood glucose monitor and found that my blood glucose drops below 55 every day repeatedly, and often drops below 45 and even into the 30's. I am still figuring out why. The important point for other sleevers is to be aware that reactive hypoglycemia occurs around 18 months post-sleeve in 18% of us. I am here to say that hypoglycemia can be a HUGE problem! My research says that most sleevers will have hypoglycemia unawareness, which means won't realize they have low blood sugar until there is a true medical emergency. I recommend to be on the lookout - that is 1 out of 5 of us, and the effects can be pretty severe.

As sick as I have been in the third year I would still get the sleeve again. I am happily remarried. My relationships have improved with both friends and family. I know that I can conquer things that I never though possible, and where I would have given up in the past I have the confidence to continue today. I hold my head high, no longer look away when I see someone, and have stopped the negative inner dialogue that followed me everywhere. My preference is that year four is a year of health and healing - and if I could put on some muscle and gain a little weight I would be thrilled.

@It's all new

When you were in the weight-losing phase, did you eat very low carbs?

If so, how low were your carbs? And for how long?

Thanks in advance for your response.

@VSGAnn, I ate low carb during the weight loss phase. If I recall correctly I stayed under 30 carbs for the first 7 months, and maybe 40 carbs for another month or two. I think I was around 600 calories until month 6, and maybe 700 calories until month 8 or 9. By month 9 I was down from 255 to 135 I think. I exercised a ton throughout my weight loss and once I was in maintenance. By one year out my problem was keeping up with enough calories for my level of activity.

Over time my health deteriorated and I began losing weight for no reason - and despite increasing my calories. In the past two months I have gotten my weight up into a safe range for the first time in many months. It is a relief.

After a year of constant worry due to being underweight, I still have these "what if's" pop into my head. As in, my weight has increased for no reason, what if it continues to creep up? I just tell my brain to shut up already and try to enjoy the fact that my weight isn't putting me at death's door anymore. I look at my face and that it is filling out and appreciate that I don't look so haggard - and try to let it go at that! :)