Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out "HAIR THINNING" OMG

I'm six months post op. Started taking GNC's Biotin at 4 months. Thinning has stopped and hair is filling back in. Hang in there and keep up with your Protein.

FOR PICKNEYGAL: On the Puritans Pride web site it is called hair SKIN AND NAILS it is selling 3 for 14.97 that is 4.99 for each bottle. Here is the web site: http://search.puritan.com/search?w=hair%20skin%20and%20nails%20vitamins. They have several products to choose from.

Thanks All

There is nothing you can take to make it stop falling out it is apart of the process for some people. My doctor told me as your weigh loss slows, your hair falling out will slow as well. The Biotin will help with regrowth but not stop your hair from falling out.

It will get better down the road and unless you have something else going on you should not get bald spots or lose all of it.

I have locs (dreadlocks) and my hair is thinning so bad. I'm taking my Vitamins every day as I was told. What do I need to do WLS FAMILY

Biotin pills and Jamaican Black Castor oil. Also decrease the frequency of your retwist. I only retwist every 4 - 6 weeks. Make sure you are getting in all your Protein as well.
I actually have some Jamaican Black Caster Oil. Started using it a few days ago. Not a good smell.

Calm down it will stop. My hair loss started at 3 months and it felt horrible. It slowed down by the end my six month and stopped by the 7/8. It's text book to start shedding your hair. It is important to get your vitamins/protein, but if it's going to happen hitting those goals will not stop it. The actual Hair loss is called telogen effluvian. If you look it up it talks mostly about the stressful event that caused it. An example is pregnancy( I personally lost a ton of hair after having my kids, with my third I literally thought I was going to go bald). Then you have this.... The stressor is the the surgery. The hair loss actually starts right after surgery. Hair has three phases: two are anagen(growth) and telogen(resting/shredding). Normally it's an 80:20 ratio, but with stressors like surgery it can can change the ratio making it seem like your hair is never going to stop coming out. The up side is that in actuality by the time you see your hair coming out the follicle has already went back into the anagen phase because it is the new Hair growth that is pushing the old hair out of the follicle or in many cases allowing you to pull out(but not literally) when you are brushing or washing your hair.

I promise it will stop. Only caveat is Iron deficiency can contribute to hair loss and has been known to happen to WLS patients but usually further out.

I have locs (dreadlocks) and my hair is thinning so bad. I'm taking my Vitamins every day as I was told. What do I need to do WLS FAMILY

Biotin pills and Jamaican Black Castor oil. Also decrease the frequency of your retwist. I only retwist every 4 - 6 weeks. Make sure you are getting in all your Protein as well.
I actually have some Jamaican Black Caster Oil. Started using it a few days ago. Not a good smell.

Yeah the smell is not that great. I use it at night and sleep with a satin bonnet on. The smell is usually mostly gone by morning.

When I was preparing for my sleeve surgery they were constantly telling us we needed 60-70 grams of Protein a day or our hair would start thinning I'm 7 weeks out and everything is good.

Yeah the smell is not that great. I use it at night and sleep with a satin bonnet on. The smell is usually mostly gone by morning.
Ladies, you can a a little of your favorite essential oil to the JBCO to help the smell. Like tea tree oil, lavender or orange. But they also make scented ones.

When I was preparing for my sleeve surgery they were constantly telling us we needed 60-70 grams of Protein a day or our hair would start thinning I'm 7 weeks out and everything is good.

I get 70 - 80 gms of Protein daily. I didn't have any issues until around month 6. (I'm 7 mths now). Currently it's just thinning at my temples, but I'd like to do what I can to prevent it from going beyond that. I understand it may happen regardless.

Biotin pills and Jamaican Black Castor oil. Also decrease the frequency of your retwist. I only retwist every 4 - 6 weeks. Make sure you are getting in all your protein as well.
Ladies, you can a a little of your favorite essential oil to the JBCO to help the smell. Like tea tree oil, lavender or orange. But they also make scented ones.

I have the Lavender scented one. The lavender scent is very faint and the JBCO smell still comes through. I'm hit or miss with essential oils. Some break my face out and some irritate my sinuses.I'm okay with using the JBCO at night.

My boyfriend lost a lot of weight very rapidly on his own, and yes, his hair fell out about 4 months in. He has thick, wooly hair.

It all grew back, though.